E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Raceland coilover TUV cert copy? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720147)

jpr 11-13-2009 07:04 PM

Raceland coilover TUV cert copy?

2 Attachment(s)
Does anybody actually have a copy of the TUV cert for the raceland coilovers for the E46?

Their website does not have a copy, nor do they ever actually say they have one. They refer to being TUV "members" and refer to having some TUV certed prooducts, but near as I can tell they never actually state they have a TUV cert for the E46 coilovers.

If you are unfamiliar with TUV certs, attached are copies for the Koni coilovers and H&R coilovers.

One final note, please don't troll up the thread with your opinions about the Raceland coilovers. Keep it to the facts. If you got a copy of the TUV cert, post it. If you've searched and keep coming up empty handed, post that.

Personally, I've looked and have come to the conclusion it does not exist. If you have facts to the contrary, please share, but let's keep it to the facts.

RAFF112 11-13-2009 07:12 PM

I hink you've come to the correct conclusion. It doesnt exist

Arsevader 11-15-2009 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For all my reservations of this cheap kit here is what appears to be the certificate....

You can thank my Sherlock Holmes ability of finding obscure **** on the internet.

Edit: Though this is for the E36 kit I can't see why the E46 kit would be any different.

jpr 11-15-2009 10:25 PM

Good find, I'll confess to being surprised.

Arsevader 11-15-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr (Post 10906785)
Good find, I'll confess to being surprised.

Me too. My experience is that if something sounds too good to be true then usually it is. There seems to be some decent QC behind these but I think I'll still let others take the risk.

Glad people are happy with them though. I'd rather be wrong about the quality then hear about someone getting hurt with them. Saying 'I told you' so loses some of its appeal when lives are involved.

330I6SPD 12-27-2009 10:17 PM

Bump for certs.

Snik 12-27-2009 10:22 PM

wow, sh1t looks legit too... im pleasantly surprised, and it sure mentions our car too.

thanks for the bump, im wooting for the bad guys, but im not gonna be naive about it, .

BMW_Matt 12-28-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsevader (Post 10906440)
For all my reservations of this cheap kit here is what appears to be the certificate....

You can thank my Sherlock Holmes ability of finding obscure **** on the internet.

Edit: Though this is for the E36 kit I can't see why the E46 kit would be any different.

The e46 vs. e36 coilovers are different, thus needs to have a different certification for e46's.

jpr 12-28-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_Matt (Post 11093546)
The e46 vs. e36 coilovers are different, thus needs to have a different certification for e46's.

Absolutely correct - but seeing as they were able to produce at least one coilover product that met TUV safety standards, it's a reasonable presumption that the manufacturer could maintain that minimum level of quality on similar products. While that's not quite the same as seeing the actual E46 TUV cert, in my view it does at least get them partial credit.

Snik 12-28-2009 03:52 PM

It def gives them partial credit in my eyes. Huge partial credit.

Arsevader 01-04-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr (Post 11094687)
Absolutely correct - but seeing as they were able to produce at least one coilover product that met TUV safety standards, it's a reasonable presumption that the manufacturer could maintain that minimum level of quality on similar products. While that's not quite the same as seeing the actual E46 TUV cert, in my view it does at least get them partial credit.

Yes this was my thought too. Why bother with TUV cert for one kit and then lie about the other one?

Snik 01-04-2010 12:54 PM

someone did say that the TUV certificate is for their logistics, and not for the coils.

JohnBlaze 01-04-2010 01:03 PM

have you seen where the welds break on the E36 kits, the ones that are TUV certified?

hi its me alec 01-04-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikwad (Post 11121479)
someone did say that the TUV certificate is for their logistics, and not for the coils.

Yep...

330I6SPD 01-04-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Yes, and the cert has EXPIRED!!!!!:lmao:
Reputable companys provide copys of the DOT and TUV certs that apply to their products on their home websites!!!

jpr 01-04-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi its me alec (Post 11122321)
Yep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 330I6SPD (Post 11122646)
Yes, and the cert has EXPIRED!!!!!:lmao:
Reputable companys provide copys of the DOT and TUV certs that apply to their products on their home websites!!!

That was the ISO 9001 cert for their logistics system that had expired, not a TUV cert - those are very different things.

330I6SPD 01-04-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr (Post 11122817)
That was the ISO 9001 cert for their logistics system that had expired, not a TUV cert - those are very different things.

True, it was an ISO cert that was expired.

This still stands.....
Reputable companys provide copys of the DOT and TUV certs that apply to their products on their home websites!!! And current ones!!!

bimmer07 01-08-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 330I6SPD (Post 11122857)
True, it was an ISO cert that was expired.

This still stands.....
Reputable companys provide copys of the DOT and TUV certs that apply to their products on their home websites!!! And current ones!!!

they definatly dont have a DOT cert considering the amount of times they tell you to never drive them on a car on the street

athayer187 01-13-2010 06:09 PM

Be careful about jumping to conclusions. The E36 TUV certificate may cover the "part family" of raceland coils, basically a set of part numbers (probably regardless of application). The TUV cert is for quality, documentation, and basic strength/reliability type testing done to prove the design. Generally speaking, the E36 and E46 application are similar enough that they may be covered. I can't translate german, but I do know that for fuel cell cars, holding one TUV cert for the fuel cell part numbers enables you to use it in different make and model cars (how I spend my days).

BRosa 01-13-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athayer187 (Post 11167197)
Be careful about jumping to conclusions. The E36 TUV certificate may cover the "part family" of raceland coils, basically a set of part numbers (probably regardless of application). The TUV cert is for quality, documentation, and basic strength/reliability type testing done to prove the design. Generally speaking, the E36 and E46 application are similar enough that they may be covered. I can't translate german, but I do know that for fuel cell cars, holding one TUV cert for the fuel cell part numbers enables you to use it in different make and model cars (how I spend my days).

TUV certification must be done for each application.

The difference with the fuel cell is that it's universal. You have to prove its durability and its construction. Being that suspension designs are different on every application, you must certify each one.