E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   after installin h&r race springs my car sits lower on one side (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=721879)

honhatch 11-21-2009 06:36 PM

after installin h&r race springs my car sits lower on one side

Like title says. i lowered the car since its been lowerd the driver side is about .25 in higher then the passenger side. i raised the car up on a lift and looked at both sides and springs are seated in the shocks and cups right. could i of missed something. i got 00 328ci h&r race springs on stock stocks and struts. thanks

BMWespresso 11-21-2009 09:04 PM

very normal, mine was .5" different before the drop and after the drop around .25"

mvrk10256 11-21-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWespresso (Post 10932377)
very normal, mine was .5" different before the drop and after the drop around .25"

the hell?

that is most defnitly not normal.

i just did the same swap yesterday and my car is completly level.

so list of things that get messed with.
trailing arms, sway bars, struts, rear shocks. you should not have messed with anythign else when doing this. possible issue.. the lower mount of the struts, the strut just slides in so make sure it was slid in all the way before you tightened the compression lock.

really cant think of why the back would be different except that if the spring didnt seat properly on the top mounting stub.

good luck, get it fixed, and dont forget to get aligned .

1importroadster 11-21-2009 10:05 PM

I have a similar problem, but i am running bone stock (i plan on upgrades soon) but my car sits a full inch low on the right rear. i work for a bmw dealership and was able to get my car on a lift in the shop. one of my tech friends looked at it can can't see anything wrong, but said that the rear shock going bad. I wonder though.....if the shock mount is bad or broken can you see it enough to know? 1 inch seems like alot to me!

firefirefire90 11-21-2009 10:12 PM

maybe you guys are just fat?

Kris.R 11-21-2009 10:23 PM

You guys crack me up. Arguing like little females. Our cars sit lower on the passenger side no matter if you drive a sedan or a coupe. Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.

socalbeast 11-25-2009 05:06 PM

Ur shock is bad-

I hit a few dips hard in my time and it threw my ride height off ,

replace all 4 shock/struts at same time-

Previous ownwer maybe replaced 1 or 2 and that caused uneven wear-

Safar 11-26-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-E46 (Post 10932588)
You guys crack me up. Arguing like little females. Our cars sit lower on the passenger side no matter if you drive a sedan or a coupe. Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.

This man speaks the truth.
If I were you I'd be worried if the driver side sits lower than normal, but the passenger side should be a little lower (empty car) by design.

honhatch 12-06-2009 01:31 PM

thanks for the info. me and my boy put the car up on the lift and messed with it for a good while everything we perfectly fine but still couldnt figure it out. at least i know why my car sits sideway lol.

kaotek323i 12-06-2009 02:24 PM

ya my car did that also..

KwhyLE 12-07-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eazy-E46 (Post 10932588)
Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.

+1

if you hardpark your car you should be worried about this....

get in the drivers seat and watch the eyes follow.

e46techtuner 12-07-2009 08:08 AM

If the car is lower, 1" or more on only one corner its usually because of a sagging spring.

honhatch 12-08-2009 10:51 PM

the only reason why it really bothered me was cause we tryin to fit m3 wheels on my car. and since the driver side was higher it didnt rub as bad as the passenger side. but we cut, and cut, and flared and got the wheels to fit. now gotta get body work done.

1importroadster 04-04-2010 09:19 PM

Thanks guys, i went ahead and dropped my car with fresh Hotchkis springs koni shocks/struts today. Everythings great now except it needs an alignment for sure!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/DSCF2038.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/DSCF2035.jpg

N89 10-01-2010 03:54 PM

Bump for a similar issue...

My drivers side sits 1/4" lower on the drivers side after a week on a new H&R Cup kit and around 150 miles driven... should I wait a little longer for them to settle or should I start worrying? It's only 1/4" but it's still noticeable... so there's no design compensation going on here... any ideas? I rarely have passengers could that even make a difference?