E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dumb question... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=724756)

Imola.ZHP 12-04-2009 10:12 PM

Dumb question...

Sick, can't think well enough on how to go about searching, and I cant rationally figure this out, brain is mush after working 13 hours sick. So please forgive me if this is asked often and/or if its dumb...

Drivers rear tire on my 330i ZHP is bad, (gash in side-wall, plugged twice, has lasted 5-6 thousand miles, spring-fall, don't drive it much anymore, but leaking now that the temperature has gone cold) new one showed up today =)

With my car NOT having LSD, is one tire more apt to spin over the other? Or does it just depend on the corner I'm going around?

I ask because the other tire has 5-6 thousand miles on it. It wouldn't cost very much more to have it swapped over to the drivers-side if the passenger-side is more apt to spin. Or if by "rotating" that other tire I'm able to get a few extra miles out of it. I know my car has negative camber from the factory, but its minimal, I've replaced the rear tires before.

Hope that makes sense, ugh, be sure to lysol this post after reading it...

lol

Thanks in advance! Planning to have it put on tomorrow.

bigjae1976 12-05-2009 01:24 AM

I've read that your right rear tire will wear slightly faster than the left if you have an open diff. So I guess the right side would be the better place to put the new tire. I have not noticed significantly more tire wear on the right side on the 5 sets of tires that I've gone through.

If you want to get more life, flip the tires (remove from rim and flip over so the inside is now on the outside). My rears always wear on the inside much faster. That will give you about an extra 25% from my limited experience.

BMW_Matt 12-05-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 10988612)
I've read that your right rear tire will wear slightly faster than the left if you have an open diff. So I guess the right side would be the better place to put the new tire. I have not noticed significantly more tire wear on the right side on the 5 sets of tires that I've gone through.

If you want to get more life, flip the tires (remove from rim and flip over so the inside is now on the outside). My rears always wear on the inside much faster. That will give you about an extra 25% from my limited experience.

That is probably cause you have -1 deg camber in the rear or something. :shhh:

bigjae1976 12-05-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW_Matt (Post 10988675)
That is probably cause you have -1 deg camber in the rear or something. :shhh:

-1 is for pussies...real men like me have -3.1. :str8pimpi

Imola.ZHP 12-05-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 10988612)

Thanks!

I was under the same impression, but couldn't remember if I had read it somewhere, or deduced it on my own or what...

I was so out of it, I forgot I even made this thread, haha, got up this morning, still not feeling well, and just took it up there and had it put on. 25 degrees here this morning and my garage isn't that big, would have had to move 3 cars to move the ZHP over enough to take off both rear wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjae1976 (Post 10991441)
-1 is for pussies...real men like me have -3.1. :str8pimpi

Poor college students only have -1 too. Planning a mild, H&R cup kit, drop when she's paid off. Hopefully spring/summer...

bigjae1976 12-05-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP (Post 10991665)
Poor college students only have -1 too. Planning a mild, H&R cup kit, drop when she's paid off. Hopefully spring/summer...

-1 is for pussies and poor college students (who are not pussies)...real men like me have -3.1.

fixed:)

Imola.ZHP 12-05-2009 11:16 PM

^ lol, nice...