E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DIY: For HID FOGLIGHTS 02 front bumper/round bumper (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=734370)

BigMikeE46 01-17-2010 11:51 AM

DIY: For HID FOGLIGHTS 02 front bumper/round bumper

I wasn't intending to make a DIY but I was looking at pics I took and I thought to myself that I think I have enough pics to help alot of guys out.

First of all, I got my fogs hids from ddm. Make sure you get H11 ballasts because they sent me I believe the h7 ballast but I still made it work. I've never done a diy so if I leave anything out please help out guys. Here we go.

What I mean by round bumper is the bumper in the pic below.

1. The first thing I did because I tried every other method with fail, is jacking the car up and removing the front tires (one at a time that is).
Photobucket
Photobucket
You are going to want to get under the car and release some of the screws and clip ons to get the inside fender? to move so you can get working.

The pic below is the foglight housing witht the bulb removed...You twist the bulb and remove it. DON'T throw the bulb away. You won't be using it now but you might have issues with you HID fogs and you might decide to go back to halogens.
Photobucket

Here was my issue. The ballast connector wouldn't fit the oem connector, so I used some other connectors that came with another set of HIDS from before to make it work. I don't got pics of that but heres the H7 Ballast connector vs H11 connector. H11 is smaller
Photobucket
vs
Photobucket

Fog ligh hids have been known to cause electrical surges which basically reset the cluster when you hit the fog light button. I've spoke to some peopel that all they get is the dash light flashing once real quick. I Installed all this yesterday and knew nothing about this problem untill it happen. I flashed someone with the highbeams while i was on the highway, speedo and everything else jumped to max and went back down. I tried to get it to do it again so i can see whats causing it but I guess its just a 50/50 thing.

Anyways, I didn't use a harness, even though i have one, I didnt use it because bmw really does let you have space to work with accessories, or at least i think so. So basically i plugged and played the HID fogs and used 3-4 straps to get the ballast and the wirring to hang securly inside the bumper. If you leave the ballast just there on the floor of the bumber/inside fender the chances are that water will get inside when you hit a puddle of water or something. I tapped all the electricals just in case something of that was to happen.
Photobucket
Photobucket
One side down another to go.Put everything back in the order you take it off.
READ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you do the driver side, your going to end up unplugging something and say oo heck with it and your going to be excited to get the hids working and your going to forget to connect that wire:censor:...make sure you connect it. I forgot to connect it (its the temp sensor) and now the temp says its -40 F. I'll have to wait to get that done because its raining outside.

MORE PICS:
Photobucket

Photobucket

LEt me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading this DIY, hope I helped.

mujjuman 01-18-2010 01:14 PM

great DIY. thanks

ramtin325i 01-18-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks mike! I have a Q, instead of putting it up the jack can i turn the wheel to the other side and just take out the inner fenders and work from there?

BigMikeE46 01-18-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtin325i (Post 11189113)
Thanks mike! I have a Q, instead of putting it up the jack can i turn the wheel to the other side and just take out the inner fenders and work from there?

you would think its that easy but beleive me its a real tight squeeze and id recommend you see what your doing for at least one side...Just to let you know, you turn the inner fender outwards. I couldnt get the clip for the world. Let me know if you need anything else. If you do jack the car up, put a brick infront of the front tire and back tires and kick them in, or you can get the plastic thing thats made for that. yea just let me know

BigMikeE46 01-18-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mujjuman (Post 11189094)
great DIY. thanks

Thanks dude...Its my first, I never thought I can contribute to such a great site but I did. Who would of knew :D.

2000_328CI 01-18-2010 03:09 PM

HID fogs FTW

ramtin325i 01-18-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000_328CI (Post 11189694)
HID fogs FTW

Cluster problems, FML :banghead:

BigMikeE46 01-18-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtin325i (Post 11190446)
Cluster problems, FML :banghead:

did it happen to you yet?

tiloulou330i 01-18-2010 08:13 PM

I need to do this mod.

ramtin325i 01-18-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMikeE46 (Post 11190883)
did it happen to you yet?

nope and im not hoping it will. did you hook up any other lights on ur car that might of needed resistors? that may the problem. the only reason im getting HID is because I have white halogens on my car but one of them arent working. I HOPE its not the wiring.

jreid 01-18-2010 11:35 PM

sweet diy

BigMikeE46 01-19-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtin325i (Post 11192226)
nope and im not hoping it will. did you hook up any other lights on ur car that might of needed resistors? that may the problem. the only reason im getting HID is because I have white halogens on my car but one of them arent working. I HOPE its not the wiring.

Well... heres an update of my project, I haven't had it happen today which is sweeet. I really think its my battery more than anything because i've read only ppl with 55w have these problems...I have 35w low / 35w fogs. So far it has only happen 3 times. My car is a 02 and it still has oem battery. I had my brother drive the bimmer and I drove infront of him...The look made me speechless. I have the hids in the low beam set up in a halogen headlight, i think i had more output with the halogen, the light is just blown all over the road and in the air, idk I prob put the bulb in there wrong. Did you end up taking off the tires? lol

BigMikeE46 01-20-2010 06:42 PM

UPDATE!!!! ATTENTION!!!!

Guys!, if your doing this pay attention and make sure!!!! that you tighten inner plastic fender!! Make sure the screws aren't broken or anything, use zip ties if you need too. I was on the highway going 120 when the inner fender flew off the car...yes flew off the car! and got crushed by another car. Im getting one from the stealership tom, you need this because the fender protects the HIDs...Gluck

ramtin325i 01-23-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMikeE46 (Post 11201869)
UPDATE!!!! ATTENTION!!!!

Guys!, if your doing this pay attention and make sure!!!! that you tighten inner plastic fender!! Make sure the screws aren't broken or anything, use zip ties if you need too. I was on the highway going 120 when the inner fender flew off the car...yes flew off the car! and got crushed by another car. Im getting one from the stealership tom, you need this because the fender protects the HIDs...Gluck

Thanks Mike. Im setting it up tomorrow moring (12 more hours) I cant wait!!!!!!

HyeWarrior 02-05-2010 05:38 PM

Nice DIY! Definitely will come in handy...

BTW, where did you get your angel eyes from? And do you have a link to the H11 bulbs? I tried searching on their site but couldn't find it

BigMikeE46 02-06-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyeWarrior (Post 11282649)
Nice DIY! Definitely will come in handy...

BTW, where did you get your angel eyes from? And do you have a link to the H11 bulbs? I tried searching on their site but couldn't find it

Its on their site...But I'd wait tell I get back to you, one of the fogs sort of went out after maybe a week, I think its just a connection thing, I haven't been able to get under there again, its been toooo cold and tooo wet/snow outside. I hope its just a connection. I can tell you one thing tho, the ballast stuff is pretty water proof. I got the angel eyes off ebay. Both the hids and rings are 7000k. The ebay seller says 7000k and you get 7000k , ddm says 8000k but you really get 7000k which in my opinion is 10 times better than the 8000k, i got 8k on my mustang , 7k looks good . Let me know if you need anything else. Heres the link

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=102&parent=85

ramtin325i 02-08-2010 11:50 PM

Mike I got them!!!! It drops my jaw every night. And thank god no cluster problems (knock on wood)

Rickna 02-14-2010 08:44 PM

Nice DIY, I've been thinking about doing this. Still not sure, but I would definetly use a relay harness. BTW, If you remove the headlights you can access the fogs.
Edit: You should also look into using watertight connectors.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=h11+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

BigMikeE46 02-14-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickna (Post 11323534)
Nice DIY, I've been thinking about doing this. Still not sure, but I would definetly use a relay harness. BTW, If you remove the headlights you can access the fogs.
Edit: You should also look into using watertight connectors.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=h11+connector&_sacat=See-All-Categories

So far no problems without the harness, umm about removing the headlight...I couldn't get the sucker off..Does anyone know how to take it off, i looked for all the bolts and scews, i can't seem to take it out. You prob need to do it this way, by removing the tires to actually be able to see and strap everything correctly. As far as water tight, its pretty water tight. It comes the right wires. I duct taped everything just incase. Thanks for the feedback

BigMikeE46 02-14-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramtin325i (Post 11297049)
Mike I got them!!!! It drops my jaw every night. And thank god no cluster problems (knock on wood)

congrats man..I'm glad you like them, they are def. a win My cluster thing went away