E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   PFC brake pad choice (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=734854)

snortdavis 01-19-2010 07:44 AM

PFC brake pad choice
 
Fellas,

Need a little help on brake pad choice. I'm currently running the PFC direct drive rotor setup with PFC z-rated pads. I've got a track day coming up at Spa Francorchamps in the near future, and can't decide if I want to take another set of z-rated pads for spares, or if I want to pick up dedicated track pads.

The lazy part of me wants to pick up another set of z-rated, while the track rat in me wants to pic up a track-only pad.

If I do pick up a track pad, anyone got any suggestions? I'm looking for something that will hold up to the heat and be reasonably gentle on the rotors, not eat the finish off of my wheels, and is available in the 394 & 7855 pad shapes (PF DD rear rotors with parking brake).

Anyone have experience with the PFC 06 compound?

mrshelley 01-19-2010 11:39 AM

I'd go with the PFC 01 pad. Good all around race pad, easy on rotors and easy to modulate in and out of the ABS.

vaio76109 01-19-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snortdavis (Post 11193240)
Anyone have experience with the PFC 06 compound?

Yes, I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between 01's and 06's, except that the 06's last much longer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshelley (Post 11194057)
I'd go with the PFC 01 pad. Good all around race pad, easy on rotors and easy to modulate in and out of the ABS.

As you say, a great pad. Have you tried the 06's?

dmwhite 01-19-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snortdavis (Post 11193240)
Anyone have experience with the PFC 06 compound?

very good compound (great for endurance racing)...slightly less stopping power than the 01's and they last a LONG time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshelley (Post 11194057)
I'd go with the PFC 01 pad. Good all around race pad, easy on rotors and easy to modulate in and out of the ABS.

agreed

Rob43 01-19-2010 04:54 PM

E46 Hawk HT10 Racing Brake Pads

"The HT10 Compound offers a smooth initial bite and a very high torque level, high fade resistance and a maximum operating temperature of 1,300 F. Optimum temp range on these is 300-1,300 degrees Fahrenheit (150-870 degrees C).

These pads are strictly for track use ONLY! Unlike some of the pads appropriate for street driving, Hawk HT10's are not designed to perform at the low temperatures that are normally experienced in ANY street car".

I've been using these pads on my E36, (car in picture) for several years.
They will give you excellent torque, with very good modulation. Based on what
your doing, I'd run these on the front & keep your PFC "Z" on the rear.

Good luck,

n2Bimmer 01-19-2010 06:54 PM

PFC FTW, I got The Z rated pads and used them during 4 track days and still use them on the street. By far the best brake pads ive ever had.

vaio76109 01-19-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob43 (Post 11195795)
E46 Hawk HT10 Racing Brake Pads...

I've been using these pads on my E36, (car in picture) for several years.
They will give you excellent torque, with very good modulation. Based on what
your doing, I'd run these on the front & keep your PFC "Z" on the rear.

Good luck,

HT-10's last for forever, but PFC 01's and 06's are in a whole different league of feel, modulation, and consistency.

Rob43 01-19-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaio76109 (Post 11196874)
HT-10's last for forever, but PFC 01's and 06's are in a whole different league of feel, modulation, and consistency.

Never tried them, maybe this season.

shady3one3 01-21-2010 04:20 PM

You can go either way on that...I did whole seasons on those Z rated pads with no problem at all. If you want to step up, I vote for the 01's. As was said, they are ABS friendly, last awhile, and won't chew up those fancy rotors.

snortdavis 01-22-2010 07:18 AM

shady,

what type of use did the Z's see? Auto-x, Road course?

Spa is supposed to be hell on brakes.

n2Bimmer 01-22-2010 10:26 AM

Play it safe and get the Race pads. With the Z rated pads i felt after multiple hard braking they started to get tired.

mrshelley 01-22-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snortdavis (Post 11209941)
shady,

what type of use did the Z's see? Auto-x, Road course?

Spa is supposed to be hell on brakes.

Go to Trois-Rivieres. That place is brutal on brakes. If you have a FWD car, the front rotors will be glowing bright red within two laps. A 330 like mine will make it 2.5hrs maximum at that track before the front pads are gone. FWD cars go 2 hrs.

shady3one3 01-22-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snortdavis (Post 11209941)
shady,

what type of use did the Z's see? Auto-x, Road course?

Spa is supposed to be hell on brakes.

track weekends

snortdavis 01-23-2010 01:22 AM

Just to be sure, I picked up a set of PFC 06.

Does anyone know if Bimmerworld is a publicly traded company, maybe I should just buy stock. :rofl:

Kubica 01-25-2010 12:04 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to run the 06 compound on the street?

I'm currently running the Z-compound all the way around. I'm thinking about running the 06's this summer up front. I have about 10-15 track days and autox's scheduled, but I'm not willing to swap pads in and out every weekend.

I really don't care about noise or the amount of dust, i guess i am most concerned with if the dust will ruin my BBS wheels if i don't clean them regularly?

Also, will they have a decent bite when cold? I know they aren't street pads, but I'd like not to crash leaving my parking garage.

Opinions? Thoughts?

jmay87 01-25-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 11223413)
Does anyone know if it's possible to run the 06 compound on the street?

I'm currently running the Z-compound all the way around. I'm thinking about running the 06's this summer up front. I have about 10-15 track days and autox's scheduled, but I'm not willing to swap pads in and out every weekend.

I really don't care about noise or the amount of dust, i guess i am most concerned with if the dust will ruin my BBS wheels if i don't clean them regularly?

Also, will they have a decent bite when cold? I know they aren't street pads, but I'd like not to crash leaving my parking garage.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I've driven to the track on them before and they did ok, but I wouldn't drive everyday on them. First off they are too expensive to use on the street, especially since you are never going to get them up to temperature and will wear them out faster. I'd think the Z-rated pads would be more than adequate for autocross so best bet would probably be to just stay on the z-rateds and switch in 06's at the track. I run 06's in the front and z-rated in the back and swap at the track and it takes less than 30 minutes to do.

Kubica 01-25-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmay87 (Post 11224678)
I've driven to the track on them before and they did ok, but I wouldn't drive everyday on them. First off they are too expensive to use on the street, especially since you are never going to get them up to temperature and will wear them out faster. I'd think the Z-rated pads would be more than adequate for autocross so best bet would probably be to just stay on the z-rateds and switch in 06's at the track. I run 06's in the front and z-rated in the back and swap at the track and it takes less than 30 minutes to do.

jmay,

Thank you.

I'm going to run the same setup as you this summer.

Can I get your thoughts on the best rotor to use with this combo? I know this topic has been beaten death. Right now I'm leaning towards Brembo blanks. What would you suggest for maximum stopping power?

jmay87 01-25-2010 09:20 PM

I just use regular old blank rotors, I think I have brembos now, but as long as it is a decent brand I don't have a preference.

JamesClay 02-24-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snortdavis (Post 11213900)
Just to be sure, I picked up a set of PFC 06.

Does anyone know if Bimmerworld is a publicly traded company, maybe I should just buy stock. :rofl:

I can sell a sticker on a racecar :)

Keep in mind guys, the PFC Direct Drive rotors require the 7855 PFC pad fitment in the rear - due to the mounting hardware for the rotor ring.

And definitely try the PFC if you are a Hawk man - we were for about 6 years until we ran back to back. The difference is impressive and the consistency is awesome down to the end.

snortdavis 02-27-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesC (Post 11373968)
I can sell a sticker on a racecar :)

Keep in mind guys, the PFC Direct Drive rotors require the 7855 PFC pad fitment in the rear - due to the mounting hardware for the rotor ring.

And definitely try the PFC if you are a Hawk man - we were for about 6 years until we ran back to back. The difference is impressive and the consistency is awesome down to the end.

I've got PFC DD rears, and love 'em. I used to always get rocks hung up between the rotor and the dust shield on stock brakes, but hasn't been a problem once with the DD rears, they stay really cool, and even the Z-Rated pads have been very consistent for the track use they've seen (Nordschleife, mainly).

For those that want to run the PFC rotors, but havent yet because it keeps them confined to PFC pads, I have heard of guys simply trimming the rear pads from other manufacturers to run with their PFC rotors.

And James, the visor strip looks great on my helmet. :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use