E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   My search for more NA power (Dyno time) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=736943)

aggieE46 01-27-2010 12:47 PM

My search for more NA power (Dyno time)
 
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start this thread to document where I'm going with my car. I'm a big fan of dyno results versus butt-dyno feeling. I like to make sure I get some bang out of my buck. Hopefully this thread will give people some reference when they are looking for NA mods.

If you have any good solid before/after dynos (corrected numbers) feel free to post them with an explanation. I'll start off by posting what I have so far....

aggieE46 01-27-2010 12:51 PM

This dyno shows my before and after results with my cams. Mods on the "before" dyno are a Streamline drop-in filer, EvoSport pulleys, Shark Injector, UUC flywheel, Technik Gen3 Headers, Magnaflow full catback, LTW5 wheels.

The only variable was a set of Schrick 264/248 cams.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...5&d=1264013325

aggieE46 01-27-2010 12:52 PM

Mid February, I'll be borrowing a Conforti intake to see what sort of difference. The dyno above doesn't show my A/F, but I'll make sure it's posted on the next dyno. After that, I'll be installing a bored throttle-body. We'll see what we can squeeze out of her without FI or extreme measures :)

Iceman00 01-27-2010 09:08 PM

Perhaps a real tune...

Keno 01-27-2010 11:36 PM

I followed your install thread and found that this to be quite amazing. My car, with intake, pullies and exhaust probably touches 200whp - your car has a whopping 30 more whp! Given the price of ZHP cams (600) and ebay headers (100) it would theoretically cost someone ~$700 in parts to add a solid 20whp to their M54B30 - talk about about budget modding!

so have you tried some pulls against anyone yet? e36 M3's make about 220 to the wheels...

I'll make an uneducated guess and say your car can make another 8whp with a proper tune.

aggieE46 01-28-2010 06:39 AM

I haven't run anyone with this setup. I'm sure I could hold my own :) I'm planning on getting to the track this spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keno (Post 11237579)
I followed your install thread and found that this to be quite amazing. My car, with intake, pullies and exhaust probably touches 200whp - your car has a whopping 30 more whp! Given the price of ZHP cams (600) and ebay headers (100) it would theoretically cost someone ~$700 in parts to add a solid 20whp to their M54B30 - talk about about budget modding!

so have you tried some pulls against anyone yet? e36 M3's make about 220 to the wheels...

I'll make an uneducated guess and say your car can make another 8whp with a proper tune.


aggieE46 01-28-2010 06:39 AM

Definitely in my future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman00 (Post 11236822)
Perhaps a real tune...


SL Blak Soldier 01-28-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 11238656)
I haven't run anyone with this setup. I'm sure I could hold my own :) I'm planning on getting to the track this spring.

man with 230whp you should definitely be able to hold your own. i mean looking at it, it's nothing much compared to an m3, but we don't drive m3's.

230whp in our cars is fast.

Also i'll try and get my after headers dyno to include in this thread. (with my before dyno)

vaio76109 01-28-2010 04:21 PM

I've dynod this car 3 times so far. The first two times were with a Conforti intake, 3rd time was with a Conforti intake and Technik Gen 3 headers. Unfortunately, I don't have the dyno file from the second time I dynoed it but it was right around 204 or 205whp. Looks like a 13-17whp gain.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9608/oldvsnew.png
Ignore the lean AFR #'s, they're not right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 11238656)
I'm planning on getting to the road course this spring.

Fixed.

aggieE46 07-18-2010 06:23 PM

Small bump.

Hit the dyno yesterday with my "custom" intake. While I used the same dyno, the main variable was that it was about 50 degrees hotter. Intake temps on my friend's 350z were over 100. The dyno operator is supposed to email me the files tomorrow so I can do an overlay from my last.

With the hotter temps, it still showed a gain of 1hp and 5tq - 231hp/220tq (if I remember correctly, forgot my printout).

Just FYI, my buddy's 2005 350Z with test pipes, TurboXS exhaust, AFE filter, and plenum spacer made 247/235.

I wanted to get another "baseline" in the warm weather for a couple things I'll be adding in the next month. Bored throttle body and 3 inch single exhaust, possibly a tune.

iwannagofast 07-18-2010 06:50 PM

subscribed...... great thread man... you've been talking about this for a bit

blablac 07-19-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieE46 (Post 12007856)
Small bump.

Hit the dyno yesterday with my "custom" intake. While I used the same dyno, the main variable was that it was about 50 degrees hotter. Intake temps on my friend's 350z were over 100. The dyno operator is supposed to email me the files tomorrow so I can do an overlay from my last.

With the hotter temps, it still showed a gain of 1hp and 5tq - 231hp/220tq (if I remember correctly, forgot my printout).

Just FYI, my buddy's 2005 350Z with test pipes, TurboXS exhaust, AFE filter, and plenum spacer made 247/235.

I wanted to get another "baseline" in the warm weather for a couple things I'll be adding in the next month. Bored throttle body and 3 inch single exhaust, possibly a tune.

details on the "custom" intake ?

TrippinBimmer 07-19-2010 12:19 PM

That is some good Numbers :D I can't wait for out TB to come back :D I need to go back for another dyno as well...

-TrippinBimmer

aggieE46 07-19-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blablac (Post 12010354)
details on the "custom" intake ?

I'll post some pictures when I get the files. He said the web connection to the dyno computer was jacked up. He's going to put them on his flash drive and send them tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer (Post 12010403)
That is some good Numbers :D I can't wait for out TB to come back :D I need to go back for another dyno as well...

-TrippinBimmer

Yeah, I'm excited, too!

firefirefire90 07-19-2010 01:18 PM

are you running a custom intake manifold or just custom CAI?

aggieE46 07-19-2010 01:22 PM

Just a custom filter setup. If I had spent that kind of money and made that small of a gain, I'd be quite upset.

Basically, I gutted my airbox, used a 3.5 to 4 inch silicone elbow to a 4 inch velocity stack (6 inch on the outside) and stuck on a huge cone filter. I keep my factory airbox and get more/smoother flow. I'm guessing that went a long way towards the added torque.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefirefire90 (Post 12010646)
are you running a custom intake manifold or just custom CAI?


aggieE46 07-19-2010 01:58 PM

Pics of filter setup (giganto sized for your inconvenience):

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/74/SSPX0148.jpg

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/74/SSPX0149.jpg

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/74/SSPX0150.jpg

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/74/SSPX0151.jpg

firefirefire90 07-19-2010 02:29 PM

interesting. Did you find that the velocity stack was necessary?

Iceman00 07-19-2010 02:35 PM

The velocity stack probably helped the MAF read the added airflow better, but I think that design is questionable. I would tell you to consider a tube that extends into the bumper, and have a bypass valve (made by AEM) to prevent hydrolock. I will say that when I had my custom cold air intake set up (long tube type) I felt a boost in torque as well. They say it's due to the resonance of the tube and intake pulse, and other psychics that are above my pay grade. Great job though, I respect your methods and the information that you provide to the community.

aggieE46 07-19-2010 02:44 PM

Thanks, man. I have a tube running from the brake duct to the box.

I really like having the box in place. I may even wrap it to see how it helps my intake temps:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/gold-fo...film-p841.aspx

If I ever go with an intake that runs into the front bumper, I'd like to go with the Pipercross (like UUC used to sell).

If anyone wants to send me a Dinan or Cosmos, I'd be happy to bolt it up and go get it tested against mine.

Brady

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman00 (Post 12011026)
The velocity stack probably helped the MAF read the added airflow better, but I think that design is questionable. I would tell you to consider a tube that extends into the bumper, and have a bypass valve (made by AEM) to prevent hydrolock. I will say that when I had my custom cold air intake set up (long tube type) I felt a boost in torque as well. They say it's due to the resonance of the tube and intake pulse, and other psychics that are above my pay grade. Great job though, I respect your methods and the information that you provide to the community.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use