E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   02 Sensors HELP!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=738617)

BMWQUEEN01 02-03-2010 08:01 AM

02 Sensors HELP!!!

My check engine light is on and the codes I'm getting is P0420 Catalyst Sys Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 1) and P1193 Manufacturer specific code. I'm thinking that's due to my 02 sensor going out. Hopefully the sensor hasn't messed up my cat. I went to a mechanic yesterday and he said I needed a new cat, and the computer said it was my 02 sensor.

So I'm here wondering which should I do first and get some prices and what not. I'm calling a few dealers right now but if anyone has any of the parts I need on here that would be great too!!! :woot:

Thanks!

trippmann 02-03-2010 10:08 AM

how many miles are on your car? its very doubtful that its your cats.

e46crooser 02-03-2010 11:15 PM

P1193 is the code you should be chasing. From some quick searching its a short term fuel code for bank 2. The cats should be fine (mine have 234k original miles and still pass strict CA smog). This means the DME is compensating for a lean condition. Might want to take the car to a shop that can read the adaptation readings on the vehicle and give you BMW specific fault codes, before you start putting parts on the car that you don't need. Check to see if you have vacuum leaks and take it from there. HTH

BMWQUEEN01 02-11-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e46crooser (Post 11272886)
P1193 is the code you should be chasing. From some quick searching its a short term fuel code for bank 2. The cats should be fine (mine have 234k original miles and still pass strict CA smog). This means the DME is compensating for a lean condition. Might want to take the car to a shop that can read the adaptation readings on the vehicle and give you BMW specific fault codes, before you start putting parts on the car that you don't need. Check to see if you have vacuum leaks and take it from there. HTH

Thanks so much!!! I still haven't gotten this problem fixed :bawling: I had a fuel pump clog a couple months ago and that's when the sensor came on. But all the mecanics say it's the cats. I will have to find a better computer to read the codes.

I have 167,000 miles on the car.

fjd330ci 07-06-2010 09:17 PM

I recently pulled P1193 (I've seen other posts for P1192 which is the same code for bank 1 the solution in either case is the same). As it turns out the post cat O2 sensors play some roll in adjusting the short term fuel trim values, which over time will affect the long term fuel trim values. Using a live data scan tool I was able to determine that all O2 sensors and MAF were working properly ruling out replacing them, but the long term fuel trim value was peg at the upper limit leaving the DME no further adjustment. After some further searches on this site and others, it seams there is a glich in the DME software, that requires the DME to be reprogrammed. I hope you were able to resolve this issue.