E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   323i exhaust suggestions (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=740486)

anival755 02-10-2010 08:34 PM

323i exhaust suggestions
 
alright so i have a 2000 323i msport, 5 speed.. Im looking to get an exhaust done, but i have no idea which route to go. I have also seen people delete the mufflers and resonators.. Does doing the muffler delete kill power at all??

vsvahia007 02-10-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anival755 (Post 11306874)
alright so i have a 2000 323i msport, 5 speed.. Im looking to get an exhaust done, but i have no idea which route to go. I have also seen people delete the mufflers and resonators.. Does doing the muffler delete kill power at all??

Straight pipe will give you a nice sound from Stock. Horsepower wise your going to lose power due to the loss in back pressure. I would recommend deleting resonators with test pipes to free up the exhaust flow. I would recommend upgrading the rear muffler with either Active or Eisneman to obtain both performance and superior sound. :thumbsup:

Edison@JleviSW 02-10-2010 10:02 PM

I would do Active Autowerke. These are designed to give the car a deeper grumble but not be too loud for daily use or ruin the classic BMW sound.

Active Autowerke 323i/328i Exhaust

This is a 325 but will give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEZI39EOdk

Iceman00 02-10-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vsvahia007 (Post 11307019)
Straight pipe will give you a nice sound from Stock. Horsepower wise your going to lose power due to the loss in back pressure. I would recommend deleting resonators with test pipes to free up the exhaust flow. I would recommend upgrading the rear muffler with either Active or Eisneman to obtain both performance and superior sound. :thumbsup:

This is bullshit. All of it.

I have already posted many times on how to make power from an exhaust:
Y pipe as close to the header collectors as possible, to a single 3" exhaust. You do not lose power from "lack of backpressure"

Everything else out there is a muffle, which will give next to no noticeable gains.

anival755 02-11-2010 12:12 AM

i was told that a 3" was WAY too big for a 2.5L. i was going to do that till they told me otherwise.. i just want the sound in the cheapest way possible.. im not after the performance...

Iceman00 02-11-2010 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anival755 (Post 11307910)
i was told that a 3" was WAY too big for a 2.5L. i was going to do that till they told me otherwise.. i just want the sound in the cheapest way possible.. im not after the performance...

How is it too big? Pipe size doesnt really matter after the Y pipe anyhow.

anival755 02-11-2010 01:09 PM

well i called my local bmw dealership, and the second i told them 3", they said that was WAY too big for my I6.

ModBargains 02-11-2010 01:18 PM

Supersprint or Remus is a great and proven system!

Mike the CEO of ModBargains had a Supersprint on his project 323ci

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...68301_4934.jpg

Kevin

aggieE46 02-11-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anival755 (Post 11310036)
well i called my local bmw dealership, and the second i told them 3", they said that was WAY too big for my I6.

:rofl:

Tater49 02-12-2010 11:50 AM

Grab yourself a pair of ebay headers from a trusted seller, and loose the restrictive stock muffler and you should be good. It's a cheap setup that gives you a beautiful exhaust tone and isn't too raspy. Your not going to gain much power by going full exhaust if you have headers and a different muffler.

mtnbound 02-12-2010 11:53 AM

:popcorn:

anival755 02-12-2010 01:37 PM

yea thats probably the route ill take.. is the header install tricky?? ive done headers b4 on other cars, im just curious if BMW likes cram them in there

Tater49 02-12-2010 01:50 PM

Install is a little tricky but since you have expirience you should be good. Just make sure you buy OEM Gaskets and new studs and you should be good.

2000_328CI 02-12-2010 01:53 PM

Take your car to an exhaust place, have them cut the piping between the second resonator and your muffler, have them put straight pipes in its place (in other words, leave both resonators in tact), and then have them weld tips on the end. It's a nice cheap solution and you can pick tips that work with the rest of your car :hi:

Here is my car with the stock intake, stock headers, both resonators, and muffler delete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI

Hope that helps :hi:

Tater49 02-12-2010 02:52 PM

Install is a little tricky but since you have expirience you should be good. Just make sure you buy OEM Gaskets and new studs and you should be good.

anival755 02-13-2010 04:00 PM

i ended up getting a rear muffler. Its a direct replacement. Now im debating if i should just replace the last muffler with the performance one, or should I also cut out the last resonator and put a pipe in for the added sound..

khbiesfd 02-14-2010 01:43 AM

I also have a 323ci. I want to do exhaust ASAP. As my car sounds very.....ugh. I have stock headers and intake. I was thinking about doing 2.5 inch straigh pipe all the way back to a performance muffler such as Aero mufflers.

khbiesfd 02-14-2010 01:44 AM

btw what size piping does the 323 come with stock?

anival755 02-20-2010 06:02 PM

alright so i finished up my exhaust last night.. ended up doing a T.S performance muffler, with a resonator delete.. car sounds awesome.. is anyone wants pix let me know,

lwderic 03-02-2010 02:05 AM

pics and sound clip


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use