E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   weld the diff?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=741416)

CLUTCH 02-15-2010 09:03 AM

weld the diff??

so i dont know if im going to get flamed for this but iv been thinking about welding the diff on my 330. i plan to use it for drifting events and im not worried about tire wear. i juss want some input from u guys. yay or nay?

CLUTCH 02-15-2010 09:12 AM

screw it ima juss do it! lol

NikolaiD 02-15-2010 09:59 AM

It's ok for the drifting events, but sucks otherwise.
One of your tires skids every time you turn at a slow speed and you look like an idiot, haha.
Def the cheapest way to go though.

P.S.
Have some replacement half-shafts ready. :P

CLUTCH 02-15-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikolaiDelov (Post 11325377)
It's ok for the drifting events, but sucks otherwise.
One of your tires skids every time you turn at a slow speed and you look like an idiot, haha.
Def the cheapest way to go though.

P.S.
Have some replacement half-shafts ready. :P

yah i know what u mean i drove on a weld diff for a few years n ppl used to always think there was sumthin wrong with my car lol

drumad 02-15-2010 10:25 AM

Driven a 240 with a welded diff. It's good cheap fun.

mrshelley 02-16-2010 01:45 PM

Try driving a FWD drive car with a welded diff.

Rob43 02-16-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrshelley (Post 11332095)
Try driving a FWD drive car with a welded diff.

That doesn't sound fun. :)

OP, go ahead & weld your diff up. As long as this car sees very little street use, & is on
the track most of the time, it will workout great.

PEI330Ci 02-16-2010 08:03 PM

I've done this, and have some serious warnings to give:

#1.) Wash the diff out with soap and water before starting extremely well. DO NOT use contact cleaner or other solvents. They can KILL whoever is welding if they inhale the fumes.

#2.) Wash the diff out again with soap and water afterwards. Spend a lot of time with a stiff brush around the welds. There will be lots of little loose bits from the welding spatter that you don't want in there when using the diff.

#3.) I would fill the diff with cheap fluid and put a 100 miles on it, then change the fluid again for a good fluid. There will still be crap in the diff after step #2.

Do 5-7 point turns if you want to keep your halfshafts alive. I couldn't even push my car by hand with the front wheels turned....there was just too much resistance.

CLUTCH 02-17-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI330Ci (Post 11333981)
I've done this, and have some serious warnings to give:

#1.) Wash the diff out with soap and water before starting extremely well. DO NOT use contact cleaner or other solvents. They can KILL whoever is welding if they inhale the fumes.

#2.) Wash the diff out again with soap and water afterwards. Spend a lot of time with a stiff brush around the welds. There will be lots of little loose bits from the welding spatter that you don't want in there when using the diff.

#3.) I would fill the diff with cheap fluid and put a 100 miles on it, then change the fluid again for a good fluid. There will still be crap in the diff after step #2.

Do 5-7 point turns if you want to keep your halfshafts alive. I couldn't even push my car by hand with the front wheels turned....there was just too much resistance.

thanks for the advice!