E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "thumping" sound (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=744112)

artgod33 02-25-2010 12:16 PM

"thumping" sound

Just coming back from lunch I stopped at a stop light took a left and I sudednly noticed a "thumping" sound as I drove.

When I sped up it sped up when I slowed down it sloed down.

The best way to describe it is it sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tire.

I pulled over and checkecked out the tires and took a quick peek underneath (its pouring ot here so it was only a quick peek to see if there's anything OBVIOUS) nothing lokoed out of place.

Continued driving and the sounds tarted p again. Checked the tires again when I got to my office and still couldn't find a rock.

Any ideas?

04 325 with 95000 miles.

dmax 02-25-2010 12:34 PM

A well hidden rock or nail/screw in your tire. You at least might want to doublecheck the air in the tires while you've got a minute or two.

I don't think you need to start thinking about serious mechanical things yet...many things thump...sort of...but what you describe sounds mostly like a rubber on something...and before you start thinking of broken parts...sounds like you need to spend more time looking with loyal friend!

HTH,

Doug

artgod33 02-25-2010 12:38 PM

Thanks

I love answers = free!

I swear it sounds like a rock what are the chaces I could've stopped on top of it twice?

Thanks

dmax 02-25-2010 12:50 PM

Artgod,

My guess is that the odds are about 1 in 20 or thereabouts! Think of the surface area touching ground, vs diameter of tire.

Anyway, it's possible in the rain you missed it...you really need someone looking while you roll car slowly over them!

One thing I do after driving through gravel is what racers do to clean the marbles off tires in a race...hard swerving back and forth. BUT, if you do have a nail or screw, that could dig it in further.

Other possibility...just happened to me...is a stone in the dust shield, but that wouldn't be in a particular cycle...just random rattling.

Anyway, many years of experience with such a thumping here...and hope I'm right...if I'm wrong, then we're down to some mechanical things like a half shaft...probably not bearings, but those are 'easy' to test for...but don't even think about that stuff yet.

Doug

throttlehead 02-25-2010 01:45 PM

cupped or other flat spot in tire :idea:

artgod33 02-25-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttlehead (Post 11378410)
cupped or other flat spot in tire :idea:

I don't think so only because when I was leaving the papa ginos parking lot (plug for my boys cuz I love the meatball subs) it was a sketchy Revere parking lot full of pot holes and gravel. And while I may hvae just not heard it before I swear the sound wasn't ther on my way TO go grab lunch only onthe way back.

Luckily its now raining harder so checking for a rock when I get out of work out to be a blast!! :facepalm:

Superhiro 02-25-2010 03:53 PM

Very possibly an issue with your wheel bearing. Esp if there's any vibrations to go along with the thumping sound. A flat spot in a wheel bearing could cause the sound you're talking about as well.

zugellos 02-25-2010 04:15 PM

You sure there's no gremlin in your trunk making that noise?....j/k.
Is the noise coming from the front/rear/left or right side of the car?

David F 02-25-2010 04:25 PM

Might not be the tires. Could be bad Guibo, center support bearing, u-joint, etc. Rocks in tires are hard to hear and usually sound like a ticking noise, not a thumping noise. Where did you say the sound seems to be coming from.

datssoled 06-28-2011 06:10 PM

I'm getting the same sound too. Mine kinda sounds more like a washing machine. Between 0-30mph, it sounds like its washing at low speed, between 30-60 mph, it sounds like its spin drying. After 60mph, i can barely hare the thumping sound any more.

Any thoughts on what it may be?

I have a 2001 330i with 105k

jdstrickland 06-28-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datssoled (Post 13326145)
I'm getting the same sound too. Mine kinda sounds more like a washing machine. Between 0-30mph, it sounds like its washing at low speed, between 30-60 mph, it sounds like its spin drying. After 60mph, i can barely hare the thumping sound any more.

Any thoughts on what it may be?

I have a 2001 330i with 105k

1.) A Dead Post for a year and a half.
2.) Wheel bearing.

DMK330 06-28-2011 07:37 PM

How old are your tires and it could happen to new ones if put on wrong there could be a bubble on the inside of the tire and u could very easily miss it, it happened to me and there was a thump as I drove I pulled over couldn't see anything then took off my tire and found a bubble on the inside of my tire and I would have never seen it without taking the tire off. It could be a possibility

dmax 06-28-2011 07:55 PM

Would be nice if OP updated his thread. I randomly guess and need to keep track. I'm at like 2% now!

Artgod?

datssoled 06-28-2011 10:35 PM

I replaced my driver side wheel bearing about 6k miles ago ( half a year) and my tires about 5k miles ago.

I had a worn bearing on my civic before, but the sound i'm getting is a little different.

TitaniumCranium 06-29-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdstrickland (Post 13326343)
1.) A Dead Post for a year and a half.
2.) Wheel bearing.

Members are getting tricky on us now and using search thus performing resurrection.

littledawg 02-18-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artgod33 (Post 11378028)
Just coming back from lunch I stopped at a stop light took a left and I sudednly noticed a "thumping" sound as I drove.

When I sped up it sped up when I slowed down it sloed down.

The best way to describe it is it sounds like there is a rock stuck in the tire.

I pulled over and checkecked out the tires and took a quick peek underneath (its pouring ot here so it was only a quick peek to see if there's anything OBVIOUS) nothing lokoed out of place.

Continued driving and the sounds tarted p again. Checked the tires again when I got to my office and still couldn't find a rock.

Any ideas?

04 325 with 95000 miles.

I know it's been a while since you posted this but I have the same exact problem and can't figure out the problem. Did you ever find out what it was?