E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   **A Raceland Coilover Public Service Announcement: by Kpeng** (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=748286)

kpeng 03-13-2010 09:22 AM

**A Raceland Coilover Public Service Announcement: by Kpeng**

Common sense seems to be an issue around here as of late, so allow me to help some of you out.

1. A set of coilovers for $200 is not going to be quality. I'm not going to buy a burger from McDonalds, and expect it to taste great.

2. Just because something has the word "Race" in its name, doesn't mean it's good or cool. I'm going to start selling you people electric superchargers, and call it "RaceCharger". I can't wait to see how many people buy it.

3. If your $200 set of coilovers break, don't complain, you asked for it.

4. Even if you don't care about your own safety, or the well-being of your car, watch out for the safety of others. Suspension failure can lead to some potentially dangerous situations.

5. Suspension, wheels, and tires are three things no one should ever skimp out on. It's what you ride on, and what keeps you on the road. Spend a little more and do it right. Safety is not worth a couple extra bills in your wallet.

6. DON'T BUY RACELAND COILOVERS. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE, THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD A SUSPENSION.

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of people buying this junk, and then complaining that it is junk. What do you expect? We have a plethora of great sponsors who are offering great deals on great suspensions, take advantage of it! Don't go buying this garbage and putting it on your car like it's the next big thing.

If you cannot afford a proper suspension, even if it is just springs and shocks (I have an H&R Cupkit, and I couldn't be happier), then you can wait. There's nothing wrong with riding on stock suspension until you can afford something better.

shockin330i 03-13-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeng (Post 11460250)
Common sense seems to be an issue around here as of late, so allow me to help some of you out.

1. A set of coilovers for $200 is not going to be quality. I'm not going to buy a burger from McDonalds, and expect it to taste great.

2. Just because something has the word "Race" in its name, doesn't mean it's good or cool. I'm going to start selling you people electric superchargers, and call it "RaceCharger". I can't wait to see how many people buy it.

4. Even if you don't care about your own safety, or the well-being of your car, watch out for the safety of others. Suspension failure can lead to some potentially dangerous situations.

5. Suspension, wheels, and tires are three things no one should ever skimp out on. It's what you ride on, and what keeps you on the road. Spend a little more and do it right. Safety is not worth a couple extra bills in your wallet.

6. DON'T BUY RACELAND COILOVERS. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ELSE, THEN YOU CAN'T AFFORD A SUSPENSION.

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of people buying this junk, and then complaining that it is junk. What do you expect? We have a plethora of great sponsors who are offering great deals on great suspensions, take advantage of it! Don't go buying this garbage and putting it on your car like it's the next big thing.

If you cannot afford a proper suspension, even if it is just springs and shocks (I have an H&R Cupkit, and I couldn't be happier), then you can wait. There's nothing wrong with riding on stock suspension until you can afford something better.

I miss my Kw2s :(

Whammy 03-13-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pam/werd07.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pam/werd07.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pam/werd07.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pam/werd07.jpghttp://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...pam/werd07.jpg

Raceland = crap

People, invest the money and get a good coilover set. PSS System or KW System are great kits, even at a used priced.

Dominancex 03-13-2010 09:48 AM

:werd:

alwaysbored786 03-13-2010 10:06 AM

this has been discussed many times before, and many people have already said what you just said. Its just the fact that they are so cheap that people buy them......

on another note, im surprised you didn't put your name in the title :eeps:.

Hartman 03-13-2010 11:05 AM

I disagree partially. 99% of the problems with Raceland is the INSTALL, not the actual product. I have yet to see a thread about outright failure of the coilovers. The problems arise from n00bs that do a shoddy install, put them on the lowest setting so they'll be "uber low brah" and don't account for rubbing.

Source: See IMOLA_ZHP thread

DADON4SHO 03-13-2010 11:10 AM

Amen

mrx733 03-13-2010 11:15 AM

:werd::werd:

tiloulou330i 03-13-2010 11:24 AM

In b4 the raceland aficionados invade KPeng territory.

TuoRedrum330i 03-13-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

i disagree when i go to mcdonalds i expect my double quarter pounder with cheese, mac sauce, and buffalo sauce to taste great.

tiloulou330i 03-13-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TuoRedrum330i (Post 11460544)
i disagree when i go to mcdonalds i expect my double quarter pounder with cheese, mac sauce, and buffalo sauce to taste great.

:lmao:

poynter 03-13-2010 11:46 AM

I agree that racelands are pretty much the shittiest coilovers out there.
I own them and have the right to this opinion but is there anyone else in this thread that has actually tried them?
I also have a H&R cupkit that I will be going back to when I get tired of it being so slammed so much that my car scrapes everywhere.

Riverbmr3 03-13-2010 12:25 PM

thats why i settled with H&R cup kit, im happy with my decision. i agree with kpeng, you got what you paid for!

2000_328CI 03-13-2010 12:36 PM

Assuming a 200 dollar product is comparable with one 10x the price :rofl:

Focal E46 03-13-2010 01:14 PM

:popcorn:

Let the Raceland wars begin!

http://www.buddycremeans.com/wp-cont...braveheart.jpg

http://chud.com/nextraimages/braveheartrev03.jpg

benjamin1 03-13-2010 01:26 PM

I don't own racelands and personally never will, but to be honest the only person I've seen complaining about them installed them wrong (which would have had the same result if it was a set of kwv3). You'd think that with such a key component for your car, a person would want parts that were engineered for the car. But people do strange things. I've even seen pictures of some idiot who put fake exhaust tips on his car.:b:

Mike@F1 Autohas 03-13-2010 01:38 PM

The FK coilovers are a good investment if you're on a budget and wanting something nice. ECS Tuning has a killer sale on them at this time

techlogik 03-13-2010 02:05 PM

On the other hand, just because it has a well known name, doesn't mean you have a good setup. H&R coilovers for M3 are one of the harshest setups and people hate them. I know I did and switched to TCKline setup.

I would say as a general rule:

If you want a street standard setup, with a descent drop and not tracking the car or autox much, or none at all, stick with KW or PSS9.

If you want something more customized, go GC or TCKline and get 500/550 F/R springs to start. Doing some track days, autox? This is a better way to go. You might like higher rates though even on the street. Often you are better off just getting these instead of KW/PSS9 because you can pick these up used, or for not much more and choose your spring rate, but that assumes you know something about spring rates and what you need to do and camber plates etc...

You need to know how to set these up and have them installed is the ultimate point for your goals and objectives. There is so much to suspension, just saying one brand sucks though and another brand is better doesn't mean much if the rates/dampening/camber/RTABs/FCABs/Control ARM/Sways etc...is all screwed up also and not done right.

Doing tons of tracking? Motons or an equivalent setup would be the right call along with all of the other required suspension components.

It really depends on what you are needing and looking for in a suspension in the end. But the original post by TS is true, those things suck and are a waste of time/money.

w0w 03-13-2010 02:10 PM

lol

RAFF112 03-13-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techlogik (Post 11460950)
On the other hand, just because it has a well known name, doesn't mean you have a good setup. H&R coilovers for M3 are one of the harshest setups and people hate them. I know I did and switched to TCKline setup.

I would say as a general rule:

If you want a street standard setup, with a descent drop and not tracking the car or autox much, or none at all, stick with KW or PSS9.

If you want something more customized, go GC or TCKline and get 500/550 F/R springs to start. Doing some track days, autox? This is a better way to go. You might like higher rates though even on the street. Often you are better off just getting these instead of KW/PSS9 because you can pick these up used, or for not much more and choose your spring rate, but that assumes you know something about spring rates and what you need to do and camber plates etc...

You need to know how to set these up and have them installed is the ultimate point for your goals and objectives. There is so much to suspension, just saying one brand sucks though and another brand is better doesn't mean much if the rates/dampening/camber/RTABs/FCABs/Control ARM/Sways etc...is all screwed up also and not done right.

Doing tons of tracking? Motons or an equivalent setup would be the right call along with all of the other required suspension components.

It really depends on what you are needing and looking for in a suspension in the end. But the original post by TS is true, those things suck and are a waste of time/money.

You guys make it sound like KW and Bilsteins are the be all end all to suspension set ups. not everyone can afford it or wants to spend that money on a 10 year old car. If you just want something for the street and occasional track use FK Silver line or konig line is what i would go with.:thumbsup: