E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Australia (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   P-Platers Face New Power Restriction Law? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=757688)

killa4eva50 04-18-2010 09:42 PM

P-Platers Face New Power Restriction Law?

Hi guys, im new to the forums.

I read this interesting article some 3 weeks ago and was wondering if anybody has any new information on it. Will it pass through or not? Basically the WA Govt. is trying to enforce a certain power-to-weight ratio on p platers' which to me sounds :ben:

LINK: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...powerful-cars/

Chewy 04-18-2010 10:03 PM

Hi there. Welcome.
I wouldn't be surprised that this law will be enforced. I'm not sure what the WA laws are atm, but these new proposed law for WA are old for some other states already so i'd say it will happen.

killa4eva50 04-18-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 11624839)
Hi there. Welcome.
I wouldn't be surprised that this law will be enforced. I'm not sure what the WA laws are atm, but these new proposed law for WA are old for some other states already so i'd say it will happen.

At the moment in WA a P-plater can drive whatever he/she fancies. How long ago did the eastern states get this?

Chewy 04-18-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killa4eva50 (Post 11624867)
At the moment in WA a P-plater can drive whatever he/she fancies. How long ago did the eastern states get this?

P-platers got laws enforced years ago, can't even remember them not being in place.
In Vic the power to weight ratio is already the old laws for p-platers, instead we are not allowed to drive v8 and charged cars and also some cars which are deemed too powerful.
It's just a matter of time that there will be laws for p-platers throughout the country

BMW //MPOWER 04-18-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killa4eva50 (Post 11624867)

Vic has had a power-to-weight ratio (in various forms) from the 80's or early 90's, it's been through several iterations since it was initially implemented.

Chewy 04-18-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER (Post 11624895)
Vic has had a power-to-weight ratio (in various forms) from the 80's or early 90's, it's been through several iterations since it was initially implemented.

yer i wasn't even born, that's how long it's been in place.

killa4eva50 04-18-2010 10:44 PM

Haha ok thats a long time. Then WA will most likely follow Victoria, many people have to get rid of their 5L V8's which imo is a GOOD thing :thumbsup:

aar0n_91 04-18-2010 11:50 PM

in NSW, if you already had your p's and owned the car (being V8 or forced induction), you were allowed to continue to drive it. the restrictions will only apply to people who get their licence after the laws change

M3_GTR 04-19-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aar0n_91 (Post 11625314)
in NSW, if you already had your p's and owned the car (being V8 or forced induction), you were allowed to continue to drive it. the restrictions will only apply to people who get their licence after the laws change

+1
at the moment its 125kw to the tonne

YGOAMG 04-19-2010 03:33 AM

LOL.. stupid P Platers fkn sh1t up

I was happily burning them last month!!

MVS330 04-19-2010 07:17 AM

Just fill your cars up with sandbags and lead ballast.....and she'll be right mate.....lol

dsio 04-19-2010 08:22 AM

The blanket 8 cylinder or more / FI restrictions in QLD are a bit of a shame tbh. I was not allowed to drive my grandfather's E34 530i because it was a dangerous high performance vehicle what with its slushbox, 1.8 tonnes and walnut dash, yet my E30 318i with its bull in a china shop wet weather handling is considered safe.

I'd rather see P platers in their parents' Merc E/S or BMW 5/7 with traction control and driver aids than in a clapped out E30 with an open diff and bald tyres.

Further to that, I'm under no illusions that I'm a great driver, which is why the world is better off with me in my E46, with good brakes, neutral handling, and the DSC firmly in the on position.

YGOAMG 04-19-2010 08:34 AM

As long as the govt seem as though they are doing something with band aid solutions... the public on a whole are happy..

farkas007 04-19-2010 08:45 AM

well, young people brought it on themselves.. I know when i was P plater 8 years ago i was doing lots of stupid things as well.

Problem is that youngsters get their licence soo easy, that they don't appreciate it at all.
If they spend 8 months studying to get their drivers licence like in Europe, there would be far less laws agains young people, simple as that...

BMW //MPOWER 04-19-2010 07:21 PM

^^ +1

I don't have issues with power restrictions for P platers, as i'm sure most of us former P platers would know that most of us did quite a few stupid things back in our youth. Not saying that by banning high powered cars is the perfect solution, but its a good start.

M3_GTR 04-19-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio (Post 11626500)
Further to that, I'm under no illusions that I'm a great driver, which is why the world is better off with me in my E46, with good brakes, neutral handling, and the DSC firmly in the on position.

DSC on? :eeps:

YGOAMG 04-19-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_GTR (Post 11629117)

yep always..

im too noob and scared :cry:

FWD' turned me into a pvssy

dsio 04-19-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_GTR (Post 11629117)

Wet weather + E30 + open diff + bald Tyres + manual transmission = deep appreciation for DSC's ability to keep the driver breathing.

If anything, restricting P platers to vehicles that have ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control would do a fair bit more than limiting power output. High end German tanks are safe, that's what tech does, on the other hand those fscking "Great Wall" things along with Proton Jumbucks, and every other POS car with rubbish handling and safety features omitted is asking for trouble, gutlessness not withstanding.

M3_GTR 04-19-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio (Post 11629401)
Wet weather + E30 + open diff + bald Tyres + manual transmission = deep appreciation for DSC's ability to keep the driver breathing..

wet weather+e46+open diff+ good tires+auto= FUN!
manual would be fun but meh
next car manual and LSD woot

YGOAMG 04-19-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsio (Post 11629401)
Wet weather + E30 + open diff + bald Tyres + manual transmission = deep appreciation for DSC's ability to keep the driver breathing.

If anything, restricting P platers to vehicles that have ABS brakes, traction control, and electronic stability control would do a fair bit more than limiting power output. High end German tanks are safe, that's what tech does, on the other hand those fscking "Great Wall" things along with Proton Jumbucks, and every other POS car with rubbish handling and safety features omitted is asking for trouble, gutlessness not withstanding.

sorry i just have to say something there..

while i know what ur sayng, i think its good for drivers to learn how to use brakes properly..
I learnt on a non abs car how to brake without locking up, in an emergency situation..
and i actually had to use it last week,

but then this goes back to ur initial point of greater driver training