E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   BMW OEM Convertible Windscreen - Review (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=758055)

jfoj 04-20-2010 07:28 AM

BMW OEM Convertible Windscreen - Review

Not sure if this info has been previously posted, however, I was unable to find good info before I purchased a windscreen for my E46.

I was back and forth as to whether or not to even purchase and if so, which one. I found a few threads that a number of folks indicated it worked well and they liked the windscreen, a few folks said they did not care for the wind screen or it did not do much for them.

Well I bit the bullet and found a OEM BMW folding windscreen for my '06 E46 Convertible.

Results are very favorable. Seems to cut down on wind turbulence and wind noise, keeps car warmer if you are running with the top down on cooler days. I was surprised that with the windows up at speeds as low as 30-35 mile per hour that you could tell how the windscreen actually helped control airflow within the car, even more so at highway speeds. With the windows up the car also is much warmer, so on the cooler days that you want to drop the top, the windscreen definitely helps with cabin comfort.

With the windows down, the windscreen is not as effective as with windows up, but it does a very good job controlling airflow and its an improvement over no windscreen, especially for longer road trips.

What I am very happy about is you can raise and lower the top with the windscreen installed and in normal operating position. This was something I could not find a definitive answer on. Also with the BMW OEM windscreen, you can quickly fold the vertical part down so you can see out the rear view window easier when the top is up. I also like the small dogs or fingers on the rear horizontal portion of the windscreen that top compartment lid seem to grab, so the screen is held solidly in place an my be harder to steal if the car was parked with the top down. I would recommend if parking the car with the windscreen installed and the top down to fold the vertical part of the windscreen flat to advertise less about the installed accessory.

I also like the folding version as it is easier to handle and store in the carrying bag once it is removed from the car. It will actually fit in the trunk so when we need to haul the kids and it is installed, it takes just a few moments to remove, fold and store in the trunk. I also think the folding unit will be least likely to be damaged due to handling and storage as compared to non folding versions.

I had read that there is an Audi windscreen that fits the E46, however, I was reluctant to try this approach. I also think there are some aftermarket full width (non folding) windscreens as well, but I think the full width windscreen would be a hassle in the long run as I do not think they will fit in the trunk?

In summary, if you have a E46 Convertible I think the BMW OEM folding windscreen with the storage bag is a worthwhile accessory.

smg330 04-20-2010 08:51 AM

I second that mine came with the oem one and i use it all the time !:)

iansanderson 04-20-2010 10:05 AM

Excellent review. I would never own a convertible without the OEM windscreen. It makes a huge difference!

SMUUUUUV 04-20-2010 11:42 AM

Just got mine a few weeks ago just about brand new w/bag off of craigslist for $200...tried it out... was ok around town... kinda nice out in NY today..gotta make a trip to Manhattan this afternoon from Long Island, so i'm definitely gonna try it out on the parkway to see the difference...

droptopM3 04-20-2010 04:14 PM

I completely agree. I just got my OEM windscreen 2 weeks ago and LOVE IT. What a difference! You guys forgot to mention it looks awesome too lol. I would like to see some pics of the aftermarket ones available. I would never pay the $$$ the dealers want for a new one, so I (like many others) found a used, like new, local one and picked it up for $250 CDN. Anybody have pics of the aftermarket ones?

Jon D 04-21-2010 01:30 PM

I was another vert owner on the fence till I ready a couple of comments here and on the other forum as to how they help. Found a used one as well in great shape and put it on, makes the car really quiet on long trips with the top down, wife is also happier as less hair moving around. All in all well worth the cost of a used one.

BobSC 04-21-2010 08:17 PM

+1 Excellent accessory and well worth the money.

The only downside I have encountered was the after passing a large truck, the stronger windflow sometimes "knocked down" the windscreen and typically scared the crap out of me. I came across this little gem posted on the site and the problem is now solved for good...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=209456

jfoj 04-22-2010 07:10 AM

BobSC,

Thanks for cross posting the hitch pin info. I have not had the screen fall down yet, however, I was a bit concerned that it could happen.

I guess I will wait and see what happens, after the first time if falls, I think it may be hitch pin mod time.

I guess there is always a mod for something!!

rpaquet 04-22-2010 08:11 PM

Where did you get it ? Th cheapest I found for my 2005 325Ci was $400.

jfoj 04-22-2010 08:24 PM

Look around eBay and Craigslist.

Have not check Tischer, however, there is a listing on eBay which I think is BMW of Cleveland that is offering new ones for close to $400 shipped.

If you can be patient you may find someone selling a used, hardly used on from a car they sold for between $100-$200 on Craigslist or eBay?

BobSC 04-22-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 11641254)
BobSC,

Thanks for cross posting the hitch pin info. I have not had the screen fall down yet, however, I was a bit concerned that it could happen.

I guess I will wait and see what happens, after the first time if falls, I think it may be hitch pin mod time.

I guess there is always a mod for something!!

No problem.

I have had the hitch pin mod in place for about a year and it works great.

VECTOR 04-23-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSC (Post 11644696)
No problem.

I have had the hitch pin mod in place for about a year and it works great.

That is good to hear, now all I need to do is find one at a resonable price.

capnmark4 05-01-2010 09:52 PM

Hey guys, I bought my windscreen a few months ago from another forum member. It didn't come with any instructions other than the ones on the storage bag. The question I have is the how the rubber 'feet' are supposed to work (pics would be great). I think mine were mounted wrong (foot marked R was on the driver's side and vice versa) and after many up/downs of the top, they are pretty beat up. Of course, RealOEM doesn't list the feet separately from the windscreen itself, so I doubt I'll be able to replace them.

TIA!

jfoj 05-01-2010 10:20 PM

Just peeked at mine installed in the car, the rear feet curve upwards. I did not look for any marks as the unit is installed, it is dark and the top is up.

BTW, would highly suggest the hitch pin mod right off the bat. Only had my windscreen a few weeks and it has already dropped 2 times. One time with a slight cross wind and once merging on the highway a bit spirited.

So do not wait, just do it. It's really not about if the screen is going to drop, but when!

capnmark4 05-01-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfoj (Post 11685854)
Just peeked at mine installed in the car, the rear feet curve upwards. I did not look for any marks as the unit is installed, it is dark and the top is up.

BTW, would highly suggest the hitch pin mod right off the bat. Only had my windscreen a few weeks and it has already dropped 2 times. One time with a slight cross wind and once merging on the highway a bit spirited.

So do not wait, just do it. It's really not about if the screen is going to drop, but when!

Yeah, I was going to go find out what the hitch pin mod is, but M3F seems to be down today. Mine has blown down a few times (with the expected startling results) especially lately as it has been WINDY here.

Thanks for taking a look! I played around with mine today for about 20 minutes until I came up with something that doesn't look like it will hurt the seats but I'd really like to find out how it is supposed to be.

Thanks again!

silentak1 05-01-2010 10:35 PM

Definitely helps calm down wind turbulance and prevents long hair from flapping in your face.

Definitely a worth while accessory. Extends my top-down "driveability" down to the 50s.

xXMaGNUSXx 05-02-2010 04:19 PM

Great review. I had one on my 04 vert and it worked great on long trips or a day cruise around the canyons. Granted on windy days it would flop down like some have stated.

I no longer have my e46, so I have one for sale if anyone is interested. The FS thread will be going up shortly. Sorry for the thread Jack.

VECTOR 05-02-2010 04:24 PM

PM sent

jfoj 05-02-2010 05:22 PM

capnmark4,

Checked my windscreen again today in the daylight and with the top down.

The little rubber dogs/feet on the rear are in fact marked R & L. R is on the right/passenger side, L is on the left/drivers side so it does sound like your dogs/feet may be backwards.

There is a small little recess these dogs/feet drop right into without any problem and the rear top cover rests on the top of the dogs/feet keeping the windscreen pretty solid.

Funny now my daughter is always asking if the windscreen is in the car, she has longer hair and really notices the difference.

Found out my wife had the folding windscreen issue before I did, she just did not mention it. So tomorrow it is off to the hardware store for 2 hitch pins and time to break out the cordless drill.

Glad this thread has generated helpful tips for all of us.

Would me nice if there was a sub category in the forum for Convertible related issues as there a lot of body differences with the Verts that I think we are all learning about.

capnmark4 05-09-2010 10:25 AM

Thanks jfoj! Can someone post the hitch pin mod? M3F seems to be down for a while.