E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I need help, just replaced Duralast 49-DL on 4/26... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=760062)

FALS BMW 04-27-2010 05:04 PM

I need help, just replaced Duralast 49-DL on 4/26...

Hey Guys,

My wife just called me to say all the lights are on the dash board (shows bulbs out sing):
*****I just replaced the Duralast 49-DL on 4/26 from Autozone ****

Do you think I might have a bad battery; (it has a 7 year warranty.)

She said the car runs ok, but she is scared it may stop on her.

Please help!!!!

FYI: I did connect the vent hose to the battery.

Thanks
Nilam

FALS BMW 04-27-2010 05:09 PM

Before I replaced the batter, on 4/25,
she was coming home from our friends house and she started hearing popping sound from the speakers, and the radio turned off half way, lights started flashing on the dashboard.

this was before I replaced the battery.

Thanks
Nilam

bishop1977 04-27-2010 05:14 PM

check your fuses

Stanc3 04-27-2010 05:22 PM

Sounds like the alternator. The battery has nothing do do with the power of the car while its driving, it is used only to start the vehicle. the alternator runs the car once started, if the cars electronics are fading out while driving chances are the alternator is not butting out the 2 volts(+/-) that it should be, and it is now going to the battery for additional power, draining and damaging the battery.

Take it back to autozone and have them do an alternator test, and a load test on the battery.

Messe46 04-27-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanc3 (Post 11666179)
take it back to autozone and have them do an alternator test, and a load test on the battery.

+1

FALS BMW 04-27-2010 05:43 PM

If I take it back to the Autozone, and tell them to do a alternator test.

What do i need to look for?
What should I ask the guy?
Any numbers that I need to look for, ir so what should it be.

FYI: I just talked to my wife and she said she got home safe, but there are still warning lights on teh battery.
Battery light on
Lights on for (bulbs)

Thanks
Nilam

FALS BMW 04-27-2010 05:47 PM

Any numbers that I need to look for, if so what should it be.

FYI: I just talked to my wife and she said she got home safe, but there are still warning lights on the DASH.
Battery light
Lights on for (bulbs)

Thanks
Nilam

FALS BMW 04-27-2010 06:11 PM

Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking about taking the car to the AutoZone tomorrow and get some tests done.

Thanks
Nilam

carcus 04-27-2010 06:38 PM

Do what they said.

Stanc3 04-30-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FALS BMW (Post 11666297)

Any numbers that I need to look for, if so what should it be.

FYI: I just talked to my wife and she said she got home safe, but there are still warning lights on the DASH.
Battery light
Lights on for (bulbs)

Thanks
Nilam

Quote:

Originally Posted by FALS BMW (Post 11666400)
Any input would be appreciated. I'm thinking about taking the car to the AutoZone tomorrow and get some tests done.

Thanks
Nilam

with the car off and their machine hooked up, a healthy battery will be putting out 12 to 13 volts, if not, the alternator could be damaging it.

with the machine hooked up and the car on, you should see about 2 volts above whatever number you got with the car off (about 14 to 15), any less and the alternator is not doing it job correctly, and the car is turning to the battery for extra power, which it shouldn't.

They can get a little more detailed on the alternator with the same machine to check its output a little more precise. Any employee should know how to do this, unless your autozones filled with retards!lol.