E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Difference - swap M3 to 330i brakes/calipers (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=760304)

dinac 04-28-2010 01:03 PM

Difference - swap M3 to 330i brakes/calipers

I have opportunity to swap M3 setup to my 330i ...
(m3 has 325 x 28 , my 330i is 325 x 25 size)

Does anybody know main difference between these two brakes ? Are they have same No. pistons ?

Is it worth doing it ? Will i notice any difference between this two setup?

Tnx !
:woot:

paraklas 04-28-2010 02:07 PM

Same number of pistons, not worth doing it, wont feel any difference. plus you need to machine the carriers to fit them. Get better pads/fluid/brake lines and you will be more than happy

nathancarter 04-28-2010 02:10 PM

Agreed, not worth it unless you have a specific reason, such as brake fade while you're on the track. For cosmetics, the 330i rotors are the same diameter. For track purposes, the M3 rotors are thicker, so they have more mass for heat absorption and dissipation.

dinac 04-29-2010 04:58 AM

i dont need for track, just wonna better brakes :)
did you made that swap that you cam claim that is worthless?
icant believe that it wont be difference

....or?...:)

bishop1977 04-29-2010 05:05 AM

Just get better rotors and pads and put ss brake lines in

braymond141 04-29-2010 05:44 AM

Both brakes are 325mm in diameter. The regular M3 brakes have 28mm thickness and the 330 have 26mm of thickness. The M3 brakes would be better, marginally, for fade resistance, that's about it. More so if you went with Euro floating rotors.

The stock brakes are single piston and rather useless. It's not worth your time... maybe try to get some ZCP M3 brakes, those are nice and aggressive, but still nothing like BBK's.

nathancarter 04-29-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinac (Post 11674939)
i dont need for track, just wonna better brakes :)
did you made that swap that you cam claim that is worthless?
icant believe that it wont be difference

....or?...:)

If you're not tracking, it won't make a difference. Educate yourself on how brake systems work, and what constitutes "better" braking.

For street purposes:
ANY car can lock up the brakes (or engage ABS) if you stomp on the pedal. That threshold is reached when the brakes stop the wheels from turning, and the tires lose grip on the road. In that case, the brakes are doing their job and the tires are the weak link. If you're engaging ABS but still not stopping fast enough for your tastes, you need better tires. The brakes are doing their job just fine.

For track purposes:
Braking performance can be reduced when the brake system overheats, either due to the pads overheating or the brake fluid boiling. Rotors with more mass can absorb then dissipate heat better than smaller, thinner rotors. Good track pads work best under extreme-heat conditions, but even then you need to be able to handle excess heat, and big brake systems can do that better. Brake overheating is practically never an issue for street cars.

Other factors to consider:
Pad life, brake dust, noise, pedal feel. Do these influence whether your brakes are "better?" IMO, yes. I want quiet pads with no dust; and consistent, responsive pedal feel.

Anyway. Disregard our advice and swap it if you like. For street purposes, the driver and the tires are the weakest link in emergency-stop situations.

33beto 04-29-2010 01:54 PM

So even the M3 has one piston front calipers? just slightly bigger rotors? wow, imagine that comcept!

dinac 04-29-2010 01:57 PM

not even bigger , just thicker .. :)
so if i make swap there will be no difference since iam not going to track

mkodama 04-29-2010 02:12 PM

Even if you did go to the track, there would probably be no difference. The 330 brakes I think have the advantage being so much cheaper and being so similar. If you want to have some bling, you can get the BMW performance floating rotors for the 330, and get some higher performance pads, and then you would definitely have a more fade resistant and lighter setup than stock M3 front brakes.

33beto 04-29-2010 02:24 PM

So what do i need to convert the fronts to a 330 setup? Just rotos, pads and carriers (sorry for the highjack)

mkodama 04-30-2010 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33beto (Post 11676504)
So what do i need to convert the fronts to a 330 setup? Just rotos, pads and carriers (sorry for the highjack)

all that and the actual calipers.

33beto 04-30-2010 06:55 AM

thanks! my new Summer proyect.

nk_zhp 04-30-2010 08:34 AM

Thicker brakes are designed to absorb more heat. You will not get better braking with them but you will eliminate the fade a little bit. If you aren't tracking this is completely irrelevant.