E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Loose Oil Pump Nut?? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=762510)

ChasCan 05-06-2010 07:39 PM

Loose Oil Pump Nut??

I'm going to be tracking my xi a lot. So far 3 days at LRP & another 5 coming up b4 the end of June. I've read some posts about the oil pump nut/bolt coming loose. How often does this really happen? And which part of the oil pump actually loosens? Am I being to nervous about this? Chas

PEI330Ci 05-06-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasCan (Post 11710831)
I'm going to be tracking my xi a lot. So far 3 days at LRP & another 5 coming up b4 the end of June. I've read some posts about the oil pump nut/bolt coming loose. How often does this really happen? And which part of the oil pump actually loosens? Am I being to nervous about this? Chas

Do a search for more info on this topic, it's been covered to death in this forum.

Keep the RPMs below 6k, and you should be OK at LRP....although I would run an extra quart of oil in the pan. Turn 1 is a long drive around under high load.....

And the good news is you probably won't catch air going up the hill like many race cars. That's a zinger to the engine and driveline.

SpeedDemon 05-07-2010 01:51 AM

Ditto on just shifting at 6k and you'll be fine. Running it up to 7k constantly is what will kill an M54 if you don't have a revamped OPN.

xixixi 05-07-2010 05:37 AM

mine came off i shut her down had the nut staked/loctited. you have very little time to save the engine once the nut drops. :thumbsup:

ChasCan 05-07-2010 06:25 AM

OK, my bad. I did not do a thorough enough search. Finally found the info I was looking for and whether or not this was just a fairy tale. Thanks for the advice on RPM's but, isn't an extra qt oil the pan a bit much? My dipstick reads full after 8.5 qts. Won't the crank start to cavitate the extra oil in the pan? Chas

SpeedDemon 05-07-2010 07:58 AM

I don't see how the extra oil helps the situation at hand.

I agree that running an extra 1/2 quart of oil will help keep oil pressure up and thus be good for the rest of the engine, but I don't see how extra oil will keep the OPN from falling off.

blablac 05-07-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon (Post 11712441)
Ditto on just shifting at 6k and you'll be fine. Running it up to 7k constantly is what will kill an M54 if you don't have a revamped OPN.

Don't the ZHP come from factory with loctite on that nut ? What do you mean by revamped ?

azzy989 05-07-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedDemon (Post 11712898)
I don't see how the extra oil helps the situation at hand.

I agree that running an extra 1/2 quart of oil will help keep oil pressure up and thus be good for the rest of the engine, but I don't see how extra oil will keep the OPN from falling off.

i think he meant that it would help the potential oil starvation from LRP... around turn 1

SpeedDemon 05-07-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blablac (Post 11712979)
Don't the ZHP come from factory with loctite on that nut ? What do you mean by revamped ?

Yes, they do come with loctite on the nut from the factory.

I was just referring to going with something like a VAC OPN modification, VAIO's 3-point design, or the BMW Motorsport kit. The factory ZHP attachment is much better but not perfect.

When I baffled my oil pan, I through on the VAC Competition Oil Pump as some cheap insurance from starvation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azzy989 (Post 11713019)
i think he meant that it would help the potential oil starvation from LRP... around turn 1

My mistake then for misreading