E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Tweeters in the Doors anyone? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=77343)

zameus 04-14-2003 10:06 AM

Tweeters in the Doors anyone?

I'm thinking about moving my tweeters from the stock location to the stock midrange location in the doors (I have a sedan). I have Diamond Hex comps with the silk tweeter. I've attenuated the tweeters with l-pads and the volume is fine but they're still a little bright for my taste and I think having them closer to the midbass will improve my imaging.

Anyone tried doing this? Thoughts?

Delirium 04-14-2003 11:47 AM

Hmm, I like my tweets in the door pillar.

zameus 04-14-2003 01:49 PM

Do you still have them at only -2db attenuation?

Delirium 04-14-2003 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zameus
Do you still have them at only -2db attenuation?
Yep, and I have the Titanium Tweeters.. then again, my gains are not up that high.. it is a little annoying at times tho.. i do admit

zameus 04-14-2003 02:03 PM

Yeah, truth is I love how they sound. It's just that after a while it almost gets tiring to listen to. Some CD's are worse than others too. I guess it just depends how they're mixed in the studio or something. Most sound great but some others are like running a cheese grator against your ear drums after a while of listening at higher volumes.

Delirium 04-14-2003 02:10 PM

I hear ya, maybe you can lower the treble on the HU?

zameus 04-14-2003 02:47 PM

nah, the stock HU kind of sucks in that respect. I have to keep the treble and bass 1 or 2 back from full otherwise it just doesn't sound right. Plus I think lowering the treble lowers all the upper frequencies. I could probably use an equalizer. That will be my next resort. Last being replacing the HU.

Delirium 04-14-2003 02:51 PM

Maybe you need to get the HU first. I have the Alpine CDA-7897 which has a built in EQ & active Crossover. It rocks! More & more HU's are having these features built in it seems.

Quote:

Originally posted by zameus
nah, the stock HU kind of sucks in that respect. I have to keep the treble and bass 1 or 2 back from full otherwise it just doesn't sound right. Plus I think lowering the treble lowers all the upper frequencies. I could probably use an equalizer. That will be my next resort. Last being replacing the HU.

zameus 04-14-2003 07:27 PM

You're probably right about the HU.

I put the tweeters into the doors tonight and took off the l-pads cause I didn't need them anymore. The tweets are still bright but I think they're not as "in my face bright" now. I'll know for sure after the commute to work (about a 45 minutes commute).

I also took a look at the midbass mounting spot while I was in there and there are definitely no removable spacers. I think the sedan and coupe mounting methods are very different. I took some picts and I'll post them in that other thread if I can.