E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General Off-Topic (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   current books you are reading? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773590)

King of Chicago 06-23-2010 10:18 AM

current books you are reading?

I just started Outliers http://www.amazon.com/Outliers-Story...7306200&sr=1-1

and also have Unexpected Returns http://www.amazon.com/Unexpected-Ret...7306171&sr=1-1

and Creature of Jekyl Island http://www.amazon.com/Creature-Jekyl.../dp/0912986212

first one is supposed to change your perspective on life, i've had some bright people tell me they would have raised their kids differently had they read it earlier in life. the second two are more academia/finance books, but explain the reality of the stock market, and the harsh reality of the b.s. federal reserve system.

any book recommendations?

TNTBOOM 06-23-2010 10:20 AM

DMT the spirit molecule

iwannagofast 06-23-2010 11:08 AM

^lol

TNTBOOM 06-23-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwannagofast (Post 11911945)
^lol

I find it very interesting...:thumbsup::hi:

iwannagofast 06-23-2010 11:14 AM

an amazing book... highly recommend the read
http://z.about.com/d/bestsellers/1/0.../Hard_Call.jpg

another great book
http://www.scifimosaic.com/images/pr...mages/1040.jpg

brew 06-23-2010 12:16 PM

My father in law just loaded me up with a bunch of good junky novels that he borrowed from his 1% biker friends.

Lee Child writes a series of books about Jack Reacher - a retired 6'6" military cop who travels the country as a one man A-Team. It's the ultimate male fantasy. This guy carries nothing but a toothbrush and an ATM card. He doesn't cook. He doesn't do laundry - when his clothes get dirty he throws them out. He has no home, no responsibilities, no need for a job. He has no purpose other than not letting people get away with fvcking with him or people he likes. Fun stuff. The outlaw bikers love these books apparently.

mvrk10256 06-23-2010 12:20 PM

engine managment by greg banish

cowmoo32 06-23-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNTBOOM (Post 11911781)
DMT the spirit molecule

Great read. I read that years ago; it's really interesting stuff.

Currently reading A Very Short Introduction to Music, just finished the short introduction the brain. I might finish my book on dark matter after this, but so far, it's been boring as hell.

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brew (Post 11912338)
My father in law just loaded me up with a bunch of good junky novels that he borrowed from his 1% biker friends.

Lee Child writes a series of books about Jack Reacher - a retired 6'6" military cop who travels the country as a one man A-Team. It's the ultimate male fantasy. This guy carries nothing but a toothbrush and an ATM card. He doesn't cook. He doesn't do laundry - when his clothes get dirty he throws them out. He has no home, no responsibilities, no need for a job. He has no purpose other than not letting people get away with fvcking with him or people he likes. Fun stuff. The outlaw bikers love these books apparently.

Excellent.

One comment I was going to make, before I saw this post, was that it seems like everyone here reads all kinds of economic theory books and other stuff like that. Doesn't anyone like to read fiction? I love a good novel. :dunno:

Penguin Koolaid 06-23-2010 12:27 PM

I haven't read a real book in years :(. I find myself exhausted after reading technical papers/journals and magazine articles related to work.

TNTBOOM 06-23-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 11912368)
Great read. I read that years ago; it's really interesting stuff.

Currently reading A Very Short Introduction to Music, just finished the short introduction the brain. I might finish my book on dark matter after this, but so far, it's been boring as hell.

So far it makes me want to try it ..:excited::thumbup::rofl:

cowmoo32 06-23-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderDave (Post 11912375)
Excellent.

One comment I was going to make, before I saw this post, was that it seems like everyone here reads all kinds of economic theory books and other stuff like that. Doesn't anyone like to read fiction? I love a good novel. :dunno:

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to read, I want to learn something, not waste my time on a story.

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid (Post 11912401)
I haven't read a real book in years :(. I find myself exhausted after reading technical papers/journals and magazine articles related to work.

Totally understandable. I hadn't considered that maybe people were reading these things for work/career advancement.

But still: a good novel on the nightstand, with 15-20 minutes of reading before you go to sleep, is a nice diversion. :)

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 11912411)
Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to read, I want to learn something, not waste my time on a story.

And thus cowmoo dismissed all of classic literature in one fell swoop.

cowmoo32 06-23-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderDave (Post 11912421)
And thus cowmoo dismissed all of classic literature in one fell swoop.

hahaha I'm not dismissing it, I just don't enjoy it. I took an entire class on Shakespeare in high school, and read most of the classics in that time, too. But I just feel like I'm wasting my time with stories, fiction or otherwise. I did read Divine Right's Trip last year, but the closest I've come to reading a story since then is the historic preface to a physics book.

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 11912439)
hahaha I'm not dismissing it, I just don't enjoy it. I took an entire class on Shakespeare in high school, and read most of the classics in that time, too. But I just feel like I'm wasting my time with stories, fiction or otherwise. I did read Divine Right's Trip last year, but the closest I've come to reading a story since then is the historic preface to a physics book.

It's cool. The whole point of reading that stuff should be to enjoy it, IMHO. If it's not your thing, then it would be a waste of time. :)

jmcdolej 06-23-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaderDave (Post 11912375)
Excellent.

I love a good novel also. I think a lot of lawyers who like to read think this way. We read all the time. We read enough in law school for 10 life times. So it is so relaxing to read for entertainment.

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcdolej (Post 11912456)
I love a good novel also. I think a lot of lawyers who like to read think this way. We read all the time. We read enough in law school for 10 life times. So it is so relaxing to read for entertainment.

I think this is true. I was a voracious reader from the time I was a little kid, and then I worked as an editor and copywriter for several years before heading off to law school. So I can plow through written material in a big hurry--reading a good book is a nice diversion from professional journals and the rest of the documents I draft and review.

cowmoo32 06-23-2010 12:45 PM

See, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. We read literally nothing in engineering, so when I do read, plowing through somewhat dry technical material isn't a big deal and actually enjoyable. You guys get to sift through verbal mire all day, I don't blame you for enjoying an easy read.

VaderDave 06-23-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmoo32 (Post 11912491)
See, I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. We read literally nothing in engineering, so when I do read, plowing through somewhat dry technical material isn't a big deal and actually enjoyable. You guys get to sift through verbal mire all day, I don't blame you for enjoying an easy read.

I try to break my fun reading time down between easy stuff (some sci-fi, other modern literature) and heavy classics and experimental lit, just to keep that part of my brain sharp.

You don't read anything in engineering? I hadn't realized that. To be honest, I don't really have a very good understanding of what engineers do on a day-to-day basis. :dunno: