E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Accidentally Put Car In Reverse (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=778326)

Killinspree 07-15-2010 02:57 AM

Accidentally Put Car In Reverse

hey guys, thanks in advance for reading this post

i was driving downhill on a local road, i usually put my car into neutral to save on gas even tho i realize it doesnt make too big of a difference, however on this occasion i accidently put the car into Reverse, i immediately put the car back to neutral and but the damage had allready been done.

i now get a check engine light on my dashboard, the car is voilently shakes when turned on, i just wantted to know how bad would the damage be, and if its even worth fixing because the car is only worth around $6000, its a 1999 323i

firefirefire90 07-15-2010 03:01 AM

I'm sort of confused on how this happened. My car never let me put the shift lever into reverse when I was driving. Any more explanation than there already is OP?

Killinspree 07-15-2010 03:04 AM

on this occasion i push the button on the lever accidently when grabbing it that i believe allowes it to move freely, as apposed to not pushing the button and it only lets you move from Drive to Neutral and the 3th 3rd n 2nd

N89 07-15-2010 03:05 AM

A transmission I think is around $2,500 new so I'm sure you can get a used one cheaper, add on labor and if you think about it this way, if you love your car enough you may as well spend the few grand it might take to fix, a new car will be at least 20,000+ (for a decent one), weigh your options.

I'm assuming your car is an automatic, it doesn't sound like a good idea to be doing that, well I'm sure now you won't ever do it again lol, that extra 1/4 gallon you saved from going into neutral just cost you a whole lot more.

firefirefire90 07-15-2010 03:06 AM

oh shoot, this is in an automatic. Ouch OP, good luck!

N89 07-15-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefirefire90 (Post 11996144)
oh shoot, this is in an automatic. Ouch OP, good luck!

Yeah at first I was like how the hell do you go into reverse by trying to shift into neutral? Neutral is the easiest thing to get into :lmao:

Andy2108 07-15-2010 03:11 AM

I think firefighter had a manual tranny. [EDIT: owaitduh ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwC5zBe6J-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyzy0...eature=related

The Irony is that I stumbled upon these things this morning when I was aimlessly browsing youtube.

Good luck OP

IB RearWheelin 07-15-2010 03:20 AM

Dude you're fine, i've done it plenty of time when me and the ex wife were fighting. The shaking that you're getting on startups...is something totally different. Putting the car in reverse while rolling foward would not make your car shake on startups.

You probably heard your gear teeth or something grinding when you put it in reverse but nothing else should have happened.

Don't do this again. It could be the last time you shift in any gear with that transmission.

carcus 07-15-2010 10:11 AM

The computer will not let it shift into reverse after a few MPH if I recall as a safety mechanism. Just have the car scanned. If you were in an older car and you put it in reverse at that speed....you would know when it broke.
Don't coast in neutral again trying to cheap out on gas.....or look for a different car besides the BMW.

golf_234 07-15-2010 10:45 AM

+1 scan.. see what codes it is throwing. I highly highly recommend just getting the peake reader so its on your convenience. i use mine ALL the time when trouble arises and it REALLY helps solve problems

it doesnt make sense that the motor would shake due to this event. at any rate stay above it and be positive life throws a lot of curve balls but just roll with it. start with the SES light and see what the computer is telling you.

mac daddyo 07-15-2010 11:18 AM

And apparently,with manuals you dont actually use any fuel rolling to a stop if its left in gear however moving it into neutral does.Plus you have less control over her so either way you werent doing yourself any favours.sorry to be a d%$k but I hate auto boxs anyway. Get her scanned, if shes screwed, get her scrapped and get a manual. simplz.

iansanderson 07-15-2010 11:19 AM

The EGS will not allow reverse to engage when the car is above 7 KM/H if everything is working correctly iirc. It's probably something unrelated. I would try a battery reset.

Bondga 07-15-2010 01:08 PM

Why would you shift to nuetral anyways, you get better gas mileage in gear when coasting not idleing

golf_234 07-15-2010 01:12 PM

good luck op tell us what happens :(

HP Autowerks 07-15-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf_234 (Post 11996823)
+1 scan.. see what codes it is throwing. I highly highly recommend just getting the peake reader so its on your convenience. i use mine ALL the time when trouble arises and it REALLY helps solve problems

it doesnt make sense that the motor would shake due to this event. at any rate stay above it and be positive life throws a lot of curve balls but just roll with it. start with the SES light and see what the computer is telling you.

+1 They always come in handly especially for events like this.

Sorry to hear OP. That's a rough hit to take with throwing it into reverse.

If you interested:
http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/y...erks/peake.jpg
http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=115

-.328.- 07-15-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac daddyo (Post 11996893)
and apparently,with manuals you dont actually use any fuel rolling to a stop if its left in gear however moving it into neutral does.plus you have less control over her so either way you werent doing yourself any favours.sorry to be a d%$k but i hate auto boxs anyway. Get her scanned, if shes screwed, get her scrapped and get a manual. Simplz.

+1

Andy2108 07-15-2010 02:07 PM

i dont know much about the step in our cars, but i was reading the manual to my moms 2001 mdx a long time ago and it mentioned the tranny is computer controled and wont let you shift like that.

im guessing his car is the same way, but being a 1999 maybe its different :dunno:

AL330CI 07-15-2010 02:08 PM

This is just another case of trying to save a penny and ended up costing a dollar.

FWIW
All ECU controlled cars will cut fuel when coasting (even in gear). Coasting in neutral does nothing to save fuel. In fact, you actually uses more fuel as the ECU will need to inject fuel to keep your idle.

dmax 07-15-2010 02:35 PM

OP,

Please let us know where this ends up...people won't continually make fun of you...a week or two at most...maybe a resurrection in a few months.

Also, so you know where you stand...you did not shift from 5 to 1st in a manual...still trying to figure that one out...and you did not connect battery in reverse...nor did you ignite yourself on fire so your son could produce a cool skateboarding video!

But, first, don't do that again...and second...don't listen to those who say don't worry at all about it. If you think you should worry about it, then do so until you understand what happened. You described something that sounded like an issue and happened just after this shifting snafu...so study up a bit on it.

Also, if it was me, I'd study up on changing trans fluid...and if this sound is a bad sound, and continues, then I'd find out more about it. See if someone can start car while you listen with hose to isolate it. If it's in the trans, I know that's not good news, but it's better to know now while there's a shot a simple intervention, rather than wait until, say, a stray tooth from a gear, say, chews other pieces up. I'm not saying that's what you did...but saying don't just hope nothing bad happened...figure out what did happen and then go from there.

You have a great advantage in figuring things out...you know what you did.

I'm not disagreeing with those who say you did nothing, as much as agreeing with you, thinking you did something!

HTH

Doug

Killinspree 07-15-2010 04:04 PM

these are all great replies so thanks everyone, i wont be putting it into neutral anymore thats for sure! il check and see what OBDII code i recieve, hopefully its nothing major but putting it into reverse gear while going 80 in the opposite direction was by far the stupidest thing ive done, i was expecting people to make fun of me hehe

just to clearify:
my car is only automatic- no step, those were introduced in the models an year after mine
problems only started occuring after my error