E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I think I need a new sunroof cassette? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=779243)

cpatstone 07-19-2010 05:19 PM

I think I need a new sunroof cassette?
 
Symptoms, and probably diagnosis, is simple...

sunroof goes up and down normally.
No issues with the shade; clips were replaced at some point

hit the button to slide the sunroof back (open), goes about halfway, twists and jams. try to close? fails a couple of times, then closes fully.

I've seen a couple of small chips in the guide rails.

So I need a new sunroof cassette, right? I mean, there aren't any other options here, right?

How about some opinions on the sanity of putting in a junkyard part -- stupid, it'll be nearly worn out too, or fine, they usually don't ever break... ?

thanks-

dmax 07-19-2010 05:33 PM

Search realoem.com, there may well be options...including my fix, which was $28 to fix what dealer wanted $1500 for...that was 15 years ago for my E36.

Many diys here on fixing sunroofs, realoem will show you parts explosion...you can order parts and drive to get them on sunny day or have them delivered to you...but opening up sunroof isn't so bad at all...but very worthwhile!

You have options...but will need to study up is all.

HTH

Doug

millerbmw323 07-19-2010 05:39 PM

If after inspecting the track system with a flashlight to make sure that there is nothing in them like broken parts, small sticks, or left over parts from the liner clips. I would try and readapt the limits on it. Be warned this may cause more damage if you don't let go or the button. Start the car, then press and hold the vent position, after about 10-30sec the sunroof will start to move, keep hold the button untill the glass panel finishes. The panel will go to vent, then retract all the way open and then close, at that point the new limit are learned. I can't say this enuff, if the sunroof binds or you hear things start to bind, crack, or break let go of the button.

dmax 07-19-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millerbmw323 (Post 12011901)
If after inspecting the track system with a flashlight to make sure that there is nothing in them like broken parts, small sticks, or left over parts from the liner clips. I would try and readapt the limits on it. Be warned this may cause more damage if you don't let go or the button. Start the car, then press and hold the vent position, after about 10-30sec the sunroof will start to move, keep hold the button untill the glass panel finishes. The panel will go to vent, then retract all the way open and then close, at that point the new limit are learned. I can't say this enuff, if the sunroof binds or you hear things start to bind, crack, or break let go of the button.

If you start to hear things crack or break...yea, prolly good idea to stop!

OP, you can open up the roof pretty easily, I'm pretty sure, without getting into things too far...but you will not find anyone to fix this for you other than yourself or your dealer by installing a canister...virtually guarantee this.

Also, read up on many threads. The poster's above instructions seem reasonable, but you might want some more details before you do break something you can't fix easily.

But, I would echo his advice...often in auto work, when things start cracking, it's usually a signal for an ale!

Doug

cpatstone 07-19-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
Search realoem.com

realoem is my best friend. helps to memorize the vin last 7.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
...there may well be options...including my fix, which was $28 to fix what dealer wanted $1500 for...that was 15 years ago for my E36.Doug

- I like $28 fixes. link?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
Many diys here on fixing sunroofs,

- searched the first two pages of hits. link? better keyword than sunroof?
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
realoem will show you parts explosion...

-- but that's the thing. I probably only need one stupid little clip, but I need to buy the entire friggin' sunroof cassette. Unless I get creative with some ABS and a milling machine? :4ngie:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
...but opening up sunroof isn't so bad at all...but very worthwhile!

-- good to know. I've read a DIY and it looks like a b*tch, and I wonder if I'll ever get the trim back on and fitting right. at least it'll be easier pulling the headliner out of a touring, ie straight out the hatch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011862)
You have options...but will need to study up is all.

-- trying. also trying not to spend $700+ when a zip tie fix is out there.

anyway, thanks for the info!

Quote:

Originally Posted by millerbmw323 (Post 12011901)
If after inspecting the track system with a flashlight to make sure that there is nothing in them like broken parts, small sticks, or left over parts from the liner clips.

-- yeah, simple stuff first. been there, done that, but not recently and I should check it again.

I don't think it's a motor control issue, but duly noted and appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12011983)
If you start to hear things crack or break...yea, prolly good idea to stop!

OP, you can open up the roof pretty easily, I'm pretty sure, without getting into things too far...but you will not find anyone to fix this for you other than yourself or your dealer by installing a canister...virtually guarantee this.

-- yeah, but sometimes there's a common fix out there. Thought I'd ask.

edit: didn't see this before
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=737026
-- so I should pull the sunroof glass and get a better look at the rails.

cpatstone 07-22-2010 08:49 PM

Follow-up, in case anyone's paying attention:
I took out the glass panel (not such a chore), used a small brush and white lithium grease, and lubed everything that looked lube-able. didn't see any damage. cycled it a few times, without glass. seemed to work? lubed some more, put the glass back in... seems to work?

I guess I don't really believe that what was broken before is now somehow fixed, but at least if it's not broken, it's not broken.

moral to the story: same as what's been said many times before: lube your d*mn sunroof.

recap the symptom: it would go back about halfway and do a nasty twist-jam-stop.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use