E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   325 XI CV Joint/Axle replacement (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=784668)

cosmith22 08-12-2010 03:49 PM

325 XI CV Joint/Axle replacement

I have an '02 325XI with 165k on it, my car's front cv boots have been cracked for some time now, leading to joint/axle failure. I'm going to order the remanufactured axles through rockauto, as I can see that the FCP brand axles are crap. Anyway, couple questions. Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing while under the car with the axles off? I read that being I have an XI, the front control arms aren't as problematic as the RWD E46's. Any bushings, wheel bearings, hubs, anything like that that's a common problem or wear part on our cars? Also, I read that the grease for the inner boot is different than the outter boot - anyone know where to get the proper grease for it? Thanks a ton for your help in advance, idk what I'd do without this forum.

330ciandr6 08-12-2010 05:57 PM

if you order the axles as a complete unit...why does it matter where to get the grease? just wondering. Check to see if your axle seals are leaking while you are in there. only thing i can think of....

aioros 08-12-2010 06:11 PM

Check my post for my cv axle replacement, it's not a diy but it may help. you may want to check the tie-rods, control arms inner and outter ball joints and bushings.

bombguy 08-12-2010 06:49 PM

Check the FCABS. Also, the dealer has the appropriate grease available.

MileHiXi 08-12-2010 06:58 PM

You don't need greese if you are replacing the entire axle.

Replace the radial seal no matter what.

bombguy 08-12-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHiXi (Post 12114245)
You don't need greese if you are replacing the entire axle.

Replace the radial seal no matter what.

They come "pre-packed" don't they? If so, you might be good, if not, refer to my previous post.

cosmith22 08-13-2010 03:12 AM

Thank you so much guys, called a rep from rockauto and they do indeed come pre-packed. As far as the FCABs go, does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand is the best? I know "best" is a touchy word, but I've heard powerflex poly bushings being mentioned a lot on here and might as well get them unless someone has had a bad experience with em. Thanks again!:woot:

aioros 08-13-2010 11:27 AM

I used the ones from autohausaz made by sachs-boge (oes)

Kubica 08-13-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmith22 (Post 12116087)
Thank you so much guys, called a rep from rockauto and they do indeed come pre-packed. As far as the FCABs go, does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand is the best? I know "best" is a touchy word, but I've heard powerflex poly bushings being mentioned a lot on here and might as well get them unless someone has had a bad experience with em. Thanks again!:woot:

Powerflex fcabs are a huge perf upgrade. You can get xi ones again now, or use centered e36 bushings (part# 401b).

I would also order the redline xi kit from Turner and replace your front diff fluid (all 4 fluids actually) while you are in there.

I have reman A1 cardone axles- they work great.