E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Convertible (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   So my convertible top stopped working....... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=790169)

fmzip 09-06-2010 08:38 PM

So my convertible top stopped working.......
 
Just inches away of fully closing and the top stops. Light blinks on the top up switch, no movement by holding down the switch.

So here is what I discover. One wire in the harness is completely cut, another is ready to break. The area of concern for reference is in the circled area below, right at he hinge point that is circled.

http://home.comcast.net/~fmzip/BMW/brokentop.jpg


Here is a picture of the green wire that was close to breaking off next

http://home.comcast.net/~fmzip/BMW/brokentop1.jpg


So what I did was spliced in two new pieces of wire. I made certain the splices where not at the pivot point but beyond it/ Next to the green wire, you can actually seen a black wire (which was the brown and red striped wire which broke) which I replaced. I soldered them in, then wrapped them in electrical tape, then tie wrapped the harness in a few spots along the rail.

Problem solved.

R1200RT 09-07-2010 08:35 AM

Thanks for the details.

Snik 10-08-2012 08:13 AM

nice :)

Pbergunder 10-11-2012 09:09 PM

So did you splice the open the harness to check the wire?

fmzip 10-12-2012 09:34 AM

yes.............

as pictured

taylor192 10-12-2012 10:21 AM

This must be a common problem, the PO of my car had this exact same repair done.

fmzip 10-16-2012 08:10 PM

It is a common problem. Wish it would stay at the top of this forum so I could stop pointing countless people to it ;)

johnrando 10-17-2012 11:15 AM

You could consolidate the most common vert top fixes (that wiring one, the bat wing issue, etc) into one thread linking to the DIYs and ask the mods to sticky it.

dcdude68 10-17-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbergunder (Post 14807949)
So did you splice the open the harness to check the wire?

I think you meant slice (and peel back) the harness cover to get access to make the splice? Just trying to clarify.

Either way, Fran: what did you use to re-wrap the wires with for protection? Were you able to tuck the harness out of the way so it won't get pinched again?

fmzip 10-17-2012 03:43 PM

I cut open the braid, inspected the wires and spliced in new wire where need be. Next, soldered (no clean solder) and used shrink tubing. Then I used electrical tape to tape the braid back together

It's not that they are getting pinched, it's that they are being bent over and over again which causes the wire to fracture. No way around this from happening

BMW should have used some heavier gauged wire or one with a thicker jacket. That's what I used when I made the splice.

Snik 10-17-2012 06:06 PM

Yeah. They should've used braided wiring.
Wonder how they do all this in the current hardtop verts.

fmzip 10-17-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnrando (Post 14822383)
You could consolidate the most common vert top fixes (that wiring one, the bat wing issue, etc) into one thread linking to the DIYs and ask the mods to sticky it.

I did that.....

they stickied another thread instead but no one reads that one either:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059

gamefacenyc 02-25-2014 12:06 AM

my top is not working button flashing all the time and does nothing when pressed. i can manually open and close the top and ive checked the motor and it has oil in it and you can hear it turn on when i connect back the car battery. is there any relays or fuses to check?

taylor192 02-25-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefacenyc (Post 16022873)
my top is not working button flashing all the time and does nothing when pressed. i can manually open and close the top and ive checked the motor and it has oil in it and you can hear it turn on when i connect back the car battery. is there any relays or fuses to check?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmzip (Post 14823908)
I did that.....

they stickied another thread instead but no one reads that one either:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059

Ironic.

gamefacenyc 02-25-2014 12:40 AM

i have checked my cables and nothing is cut

taylor192 02-25-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefacenyc (Post 16022891)
i have checked my cables and nothing is cut

Did you visibly check them? or electrically test them?

If you didn't electrically test them, go do it. Wires can break internally, or at different bends. The first bend above the drivers seat is the most common bend, yet not the only bend the wires break.

Alternatively get the codes get by a shop. A blinking light means a code is stored, it is unlikely to be a fuse. If you want to check fuses, the fuse panel has a guide indicating all the fuses for the top.

Kay D Boss 02-25-2014 11:58 AM

I have a 325ci, if you just need to buy some time. Lower the top completely, manually. Press the reset button below the arm rest in the back seat. Dont remove the seat! The reset button will release the roof from the hydraulic mechanism. Then you can close and ooen it manually. Call momentum bmw parts dept ask for e46 convertable allen wrench. Totally cost 7$ lol. .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Kay D Boss 02-25-2014 12:01 PM

And also the hydraulic fluid may be low . The reservoir is in the trunk on the left side behind the lining. Consult a professional for that. The fluid cost about 12$.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

taylor192 02-25-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kay D Boss (Post 16023626)
I have a 325ci, if you just need to buy some time. Lower the top completely, manually. Press the reset button below the arm rest in the back seat. Dont remove the seat! The reset button will release the roof from the hydraulic mechanism. Then you can close and ooen it manually. Call momentum bmw parts dept ask for e46 convertable allen wrench. Totally cost 7$ lol. .

1. The latest poster has stated he's able to manually open/close the top.
2. The release button under the rear seat releases the mechanical latches that keep the storage lid locked tight. It has nothing to do with the hydraulics. The hydraulic system only pressurizes when the car is on, and depressurizes after about 30 secs. That's why you have to wait to manipulate the top manually after the car was on.

I don't mean to be rude, just there's so much misinformation on the top that it needs to be corrected or we end up answering even more questions later on.

taylor192 02-25-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kay D Boss (Post 16023632)
And also the hydraulic fluid may be low . The reservoir is in the trunk on the left side behind the lining. Consult a professional for that. The fluid cost about 12$.

No need to consult a professional, don't scare members away from fixing their top. The sticky about hydraulics explains why the fluid may be low, where to look for leaks and how to fix them economically.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use