E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   i think my transmission may have just blown (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=792490)

LiNk504 09-17-2010 06:08 PM

i think my transmission may have just blown
 
so i was driving home from work and i stopped at a red and when it turned green i started driving again (i didn't gun it, i drove it nice and normal) there was a clunk and a grinding noise. it originally sounded like a wheel on the pavement and thats what i thought it was (my tires are really bad right now) until i pulled over and all four were still intact so i looked under my car and there was a fluid leaking. i was really close to my house and since there was no one to come tow me and my insurance company is a bunch of dicks i drove it home and the weird part was that it shifted fine just sounded really bad intermediately . when i got home i immediately jacked it up to find out what the liquid was and it was coolant. i don't have any lights on on the dash except and airbag one and the coolant one (coolant sensor is broken when i had to change the expansion tank so i monitor it every few days and i filled it up last night so i know it was full). anyone know what the hell happened to my car?

jzwu 09-17-2010 06:25 PM

So you found a coolant leak and you think your tranny is blown?

I would say check the cooling system and belts.

LiNk504 09-17-2010 06:29 PM

i did and it all looks good, i cant check the level right now because the engine is still hot. i think the tranny is blown because of the god awful sounds coming from it, it sounds like its coming from directly underneath the cup holders.

hawknthasky 09-17-2010 06:47 PM

Why don't you change the coolant sensor? You need to find out where it leaked from.

dmax 09-17-2010 07:53 PM

The coolant sensor is actually in a dry part of the ET.

Grinding might have been water pump...listen to it in the a.m. with a hose as stethoscope...monitor coolant temp, and find the location of the leak.

If it was water pump, that would explain the grinding and the leak perhaps...though if it was starting to overheat coz of wp blown up, also, since I guess you have an auto, I don't know how heat might affect it...since it does have a cooler...which I guess would work less well if wp blew up.

Other grinding things? You maybe have a coffee grinder plugged into an inverter, which you rigged under your cupholder but just forgot about?

So you were thinking trans. coz of where you were sure sound was coming from...nothing in the drive itself?

Doug

LiNk504 09-17-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12251448)
The coolant sensor is actually in a dry part of the ET.

Grinding might have been water pump...listen to it in the a.m. with a hose as stethoscope...monitor coolant temp, and find the location of the leak.

If it was water pump, that would explain the grinding and the leak perhaps...though if it was starting to overheat coz of wp blown up, also, since I guess you have an auto, I don't know how heat might affect it...since it does have a cooler...which I guess would work less well if wp blew up.

Other grinding things? You maybe have a coffee grinder plugged into an inverter, which you rigged under your cupholder but just forgot about?

So you were thinking trans. coz of where you were sure sound was coming from...nothing in the drive itself?

Doug

i totally forgot about that coffee grinder!

my car is a 5 speed though. and i didn't thin about the wp but it only grinds while it is in gear and moving. i couldn't find the leak tonight but it looks like its coming from under the engine. and yes i was thinking of the trans because of where the sound was from but im thinking not now because it shifts seamlessly and quietly and since it only grinds while it is in gear moving and doesn't slip at all it could be the drive. still doesn't explain the magical coolant leak though, but they could be unrelated and i am just that lucky.

dmax 09-17-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNk504 (Post 12251577)
i totally forgot about that coffee grinder!

my car is a 5 speed though. and i didn't thin about the wp but it only grinds while it is in gear and moving. i couldn't find the leak tonight but it looks like its coming from under the engine. and yes i was thinking of the trans because of where the sound was from but im thinking not now because it shifts seamlessly and quietly and since it only grinds while it is in gear moving and doesn't slip at all it could be the drive. still doesn't explain the magical coolant leak though, but they could be unrelated and i am just that lucky.

You're sure it's coolant? Sorry...got to ask.

Okay, I'm thinking throwout bearing in clutch now...but I don't really know enough about them to know for sure...but when engaged, that bearing is spinning...you'd probably notice it just after being engaged, I'd think...Search for symptoms of that...and see if anyone guesses how long they can go from the first sound?

Someone might off the guess to check your trans/diff fluid, and if you haven't ever done that, it couldn't hurt...unless you're a moron, or just didn't study enough diys on it! Don't know what might rattle in trans itself, other than a loose tooth or two getting tossed around...and think that might be more than a light grinding...but maybe not...but don't go crazy yet...I'm just a random internet guy suggesting tons of stuff it could be!

But, you know, every sound doesn't mean catastrophe right around the corner. I know my wheel bearings aren't running smooth, but I feel nothing and hear even less...just on high load turns and then just slightly. I'm monitoring.

Could be that, and I don't know how you shift...whether you keep foot on clutch a lot or not...or what PO drove car like...

There's an app for monitoring frequency...forget the name...vibrate (maybe that's something else!)...prolly frequency analyzer.

Anyway, if you're smarter than me, you might translate the frequency into some guesses as to what sized rotating thing you're hearing the sound from.

Fast might be throwout bearing, driveshaft, wheel bearings, water pump... a little slower--tires/wheels

But, I couldn't make heads or tails of it when I was hunting my vibration...I've had many I had to work through...got them all...but the front wheel bearings and the two slightly flat spotted rear wheels...both together not noticeable...anyway...cool app and maybe you're a physics major and can actually calculate diameter of thing rotating given a fixed cruising speed. If so, send formula and instructions for other curious fanatics.

Doug

LiNk504 09-17-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12251636)
You're sure it's coolant? Sorry...got to ask.

Okay, I'm thinking throwout bearing in clutch now...but I don't really know enough about them to know for sure...but when engaged, that bearing is spinning...you'd probably notice it just after being engaged, I'd think...Search for symptoms of that...and see if anyone guesses how long they can go from the first sound?

Someone might off the guess to check your trans/diff fluid, and if you haven't ever done that, it couldn't hurt...unless you're a moron, or just didn't study enough diys on it! Don't know what might rattle in trans itself, other than a loose tooth or two getting tossed around...and think that might be more than a light grinding...but maybe not...but don't go crazy yet...I'm just a random internet guy suggesting tons of stuff it could be!

But, you know, every sound doesn't mean catastrophe right around the corner. I know my wheel bearings aren't running smooth, but I feel nothing and hear even less...just on high load turns and then just slightly. I'm monitoring.

Could be that, and I don't know how you shift...whether you keep foot on clutch a lot or not...or what PO drove car like...

There's an app for monitoring frequency...forget the name...vibrate (maybe that's something else!)...prolly frequency analyzer.

Anyway, if you're smarter than me, you might translate the frequency into some guesses as to what sized rotating thing you're hearing the sound from.

Fast might be throwout bearing, driveshaft, wheel bearings, water pump... a little slower--tires/wheels

But, I couldn't make heads or tails of it when I was hunting my vibration...I've had many I had to work through...got them all...but the front wheel bearings and the two slightly flat spotted rear wheels...both together not noticeable...anyway...cool app and maybe you're a physics major and can actually calculate diameter of thing rotating given a fixed cruising speed. If so, send formula and instructions for other curious fanatics.

Doug

unfortunately im a law major so we will have to find some else to get al of us curios fanatics that formula.

i was thinking throwout baring too but since it only does it while it is moving and not when its in neutral i think its something else.

im thinking the driveway now but it still doesn't explain the coolant leak although i know i have had a minor leak going on since the et exploded last winter but i just check the level every few days to keep it full so it might not even be related to my problem. i would still think tyranny if it wasn't for the part that it drives and shifts fine still, it just sounds bad (i haven't been driving it around town though, only trying to center the sound in my driveway)

thank you random internet guy for throwing out those ideas

ed330ci 09-18-2010 12:09 AM

Take off the water pump and inspect it when you replace that broken coolant sensor. You might find out your problem when you grab a hold of the WP pulley after you take the belt off. !!!

Andy2108 09-18-2010 12:12 AM

my guess is driveshaft guibo

LiNk504 09-18-2010 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok so i dont think its the tranny anymore, i looked under the car to day and i found this shredded (see picture). does anyone know what that part is and has anyone changed one out before because i wondering how hard it will be

stubenhocker 09-18-2010 06:22 PM

it's the GUIBO, not that hard to change if you have reasonable mechanic skills

genuity 09-18-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy2108 (Post 12251975)
my guess is driveshaft guibo

:clap: :bow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNk504 (Post 12252900)
ok so i dont think its the tranny anymore, i looked under the car to day and i found this shredded (see picture). does anyone know what that part is and has anyone changed one out before because i wondering how hard it will be

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/diy_guibo.htm

dmax 09-18-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNk504 (Post 12252900)
ok so i dont think its the tranny anymore, i looked under the car to day and i found this shredded (see picture). does anyone know what that part is and has anyone changed one out before because i wondering how hard it will be

Glad you found it...but you really should get this car to a mechanic who can foresee stuff like this. That's real bad to be in that shape, and it's right there...anyone with flashlight and ability to look up could see that.

Okay, I'm a little sorry it's not the WP, though we can only hope that I get to be right for once too...but it still might be. Little coolant leaks are the car's way of saying take care of me. And dripping a little coolant might be nothing now, but you do need to know where it's coming from. Some things might increase their rate of failure very quickly and it could the the ET again...just coz it's new doesn't mean it won't fail.

But, on the guibo again...that's really bad...and if you had a ppi, should have been noted...if you've ever had it for oil change at other than Jiffy lube, I'd be surprised that no one noticed it.

No, they don't really fall apart catastrophically, but it's holding a driveshaft spinning very fast...that part is there for a reason. Yes, you can diy this, but there's a lot to learn about to do it right...it's not really easy. And, at the point that you're doing it, then you ought to consider center support, which frankly, has to have been going through a beating for some time...dropping exhaust, heat shield for that...just awkward...but mind the many details of both the 'simple' guibo install and csb if you do that...it's more than just torque to spec...you need new bolts and nuts...you need to install bolts right direction (and opinions vary on that)...that one stopped me...coz of the dropping the exhaust (new gasket for that and your bolts are also rusted!)...

If you've got the know how, tools, and equipment, then study up and have at it...btw, I believe you can just do guibo without removing everything...though that might not be quite the proper way. But, seriously, please work on finding a better mechanic and developing some kind of relationship so you have someone who cares about your car, and you know, uses their special mechanic powers to see things like ripped up guibos, failed cabs, broken end links, leaking coolant or other fluid...stuff like that. Find the right mechanic and you'll see that those special powers come largely from knowing lots of stuff about cars...they can help keep you alive...so start searching the regionals to find your mechanic...this might be a good time to use a good one and have them give your car the once over.

Doug

LiNk504 09-19-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12253481)
Glad you found it...but you really should get this car to a mechanic who can foresee stuff like this. That's real bad to be in that shape, and it's right there...anyone with flashlight and ability to look up could see that.

Okay, I'm a little sorry it's not the WP, though we can only hope that I get to be right for once too...but it still might be. Little coolant leaks are the car's way of saying take care of me. And dripping a little coolant might be nothing now, but you do need to know where it's coming from. Some things might increase their rate of failure very quickly and it could the the ET again...just coz it's new doesn't mean it won't fail.

But, on the guibo again...that's really bad...and if you had a ppi, should have been noted...if you've ever had it for oil change at other than Jiffy lube, I'd be surprised that no one noticed it.

No, they don't really fall apart catastrophically, but it's holding a driveshaft spinning very fast...that part is there for a reason. Yes, you can diy this, but there's a lot to learn about to do it right...it's not really easy. And, at the point that you're doing it, then you ought to consider center support, which frankly, has to have been going through a beating for some time...dropping exhaust, heat shield for that...just awkward...but mind the many details of both the 'simple' guibo install and csb if you do that...it's more than just torque to spec...you need new bolts and nuts...you need to install bolts right direction (and opinions vary on that)...that one stopped me...coz of the dropping the exhaust (new gasket for that and your bolts are also rusted!)...

If you've got the know how, tools, and equipment, then study up and have at it...btw, I believe you can just do guibo without removing everything...though that might not be quite the proper way. But, seriously, please work on finding a better mechanic and developing some kind of relationship so you have someone who cares about your car, and you know, uses their special mechanic powers to see things like ripped up guibos, failed cabs, broken end links, leaking coolant or other fluid...stuff like that. Find the right mechanic and you'll see that those special powers come largely from knowing lots of stuff about cars...they can help keep you alive...so start searching the regionals to find your mechanic...this might be a good time to use a good one and have them give your car the once over.

Doug


i have in the past taken good care of my cars and little things like coolant leaks i get fixed right away, but when i got laid off and my income went WAY down i wasn't able to get even little things fixed. i don't have access to a car lift anymore so i don't look under my car as much as i use to. anyways i have a job again that pays decent so i can finally start replacing and maintaining all of the parts on my car. and the little coolant leak was right at the top of my list. i think i am going to take it to a mechanic to have the guibo replaced, i have the mechanical knowledge to do it, but im lacking tools, i don't have a free garage with everything imaginable in it anymore.

and the bolts are probably rusted from driving up a mountain every weekend in this car for a ski season that they still salted the roads, i would clean it once a week the best i could but even that wasn't enough.

Mango 09-19-2010 03:18 AM

Replace your center support bearing "while you're in there." It'd be dumb to drop the exhaust, heatshields and driveshaft only to leave the old center support bearing. Of course, if your mechanic is worth beans, he'd recommend this to you (i hope).

Rhudeboye 11-18-2011 09:31 AM

So did that do the trick. i'm having the same issue including a sudden drop in coolant level.

new//M3fan 11-18-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzwu (Post 12251225)
So you found a coolant leak and you think your tranny is blown?

I would say check the cooling system and belts.

:lmao:

That is what scares me about buying used cars from non savvy people and in the process F it up, or people who don't want to spend money to have someone who knows what their looking at fix it.

Rhudeboye 11-19-2011 07:58 AM

Man, how many ppl are going to take this out of context. He figured he had tranny issues due to the "clunk and a grinding noise".

Brinkley 11-19-2011 10:27 AM

At least 20 more people.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use