E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My car is going CRAZYYY (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=795570)

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 12:36 AM

My car is going CRAZYYY

first thing first.. I was at my friends house and somehow lost my keys that I have still not found so my dad dropped of my spare key which is a valet key. Then I started the car up and everything was going fine until i looked to see how fast i was going. my speedometer was stuck at 0MPH! I thought that was strange because I had used the valet key before and I could always tell how fast I was going. and then further on down the road my dsc and brake light came on... does anyone have any idea whats going on.. I was thinking maybe a bad speed sensor or something.
any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

SweTurbo 10-03-2010 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwt1dan (Post 12304165)
first thing first.. I was at my friends house and somehow lost my keys that I have still not found so my dad dropped of my spare key which is a valet key. Then I started the car up and everything was going fine until i looked to see how fast i was going. my speedometer was stuck at 0MPH! I thought that was strange because I had used the valet key before and I could always tell how fast I was going. and then further on down the road my dsc and brake light came on... does anyone have any idea whats going on.. I was thinking maybe a bad speed sensor or something.
any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Check ABS+DSC fuses , otherwise it does sound like a sebsor.

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 09:42 AM

would either of those fuses cause my speedometer not to work? i forgot to mention that my gas meter also got really sensitive so that whenever i was going up a hill or pointing up it would go extremely low and when i was going down it would shot back up to 1/4 of a tank

dmax 10-03-2010 09:48 AM

I have no idea what's going on...but that won't stop me from having some thoughts:

Find your key or get another 'real' key...as that seems to be what started all this stuff...so I like proximate causes, but couldn't even approximately say why this would be the case.

Also, it sounds like your sending unit is going south...but there is a diy fix for it...though, if it's just the gauge, then just use mileage to tell you when to fill up. I never go below 1/4 tank if I can help it...and so far, I've always been able to help it.

Secondly, just keep an eye on things, coz although it seems like it's just a bug, you might actually have issues with other things.

Thirdly, just for grins, try the universal fix for all electrical glitches...unplug the battery for a half an hour and let her relax a bit...and don't call or write that she's crazy...they hear stuff like that and you'll suffer!

Doug

jfoj 10-03-2010 09:48 AM

Battery!

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 12304786)
Thirdly, just for grins, try the universal fix for all electrical glitches...unplug the battery for a half an hour and let her relax a bit...and don't call or write that she's crazy...they hear stuff like that and you'll suffer!

Doug

Haha your right maybe i should just say I love her and she'll come back to normal.. at least thats how my girlfriend works.. I'm going to check my fuses and if nothing is wrong with them i'm gonna disconnect the battery for 30 mins

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 11:53 AM

I just tried to check all the fuses. they all seemed alright except the teeth seemed kind of dusty almost. with a little bit of metallic dusting. they weren't blown though. I think I'm going to go ahead and replace them. I also disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and still speedometer is not working and gas meter is all over the place. the range is also going crazy so its not just the gauge. any advice?

40oz. 10-03-2010 12:10 PM

I had the same problem in an old 7 series i had. The systems went out one by one until the car shut down. Turned out to be my alternator. Different car so i don't know if the problem will be the same, but worth checking out IMO. Hope this helps

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 12:22 PM

hmm alternator how can i check out if its being faulty??

40oz. 10-03-2010 12:34 PM

Is your battery light on while the car is running? That would let you know right away that something is wrong. As for testing, i believe autozone tests alternators and batteries for free.

dmax 10-03-2010 01:25 PM

I'm still thinking just the key.

I know that the ignition switch going bad leads to weird things going on (search 'ignition switch and radio)...just read about this a week or two ago here.

Since this all started with the key...I'd start there (find key!) and just chalk it up to another bmw weirdness.

Doug

dwt1dan 10-03-2010 02:17 PM

No lights what so ever. I think im going to stop by autozone tomorrow and see what the battery and alternator are doing

dmax 10-03-2010 03:36 PM

Search cluster test...your car will tell you the voltage of car off and on...s/b approx 12.x V off and around 14 when on (plus or minus)...I'm at 13.7 V running, so I'll be needing an alt (or voltage regulator) someday...but I seem to be getting enough to keep the battery charged for now.

Anyway, cluster test, or multimeter (measure bat voltage off and on)...or autozone/etc.

...and find key...I love proximate causes, and the different key is certainly that...so don't go too crazy yet on replacing stuff...and you'll want a new key anyway, so go ahead and either search aggressively for it or order it and see what that does for you.

RONINTRANS 10-03-2010 04:04 PM

Leave your new Key in Ignition (An Hour) and let key charge up and handshake.

dwt1dan 10-04-2010 01:10 PM

I read somewhere that it could be a loose wire from my ecu controller. is there any way that i could check this out?? thanks guys

dwt1dan 10-04-2010 04:41 PM

anyone?

jfoj 10-04-2010 08:55 PM

Don't make this harder than it should be. Rule out the battery and charging system first!!

dwt1dan 10-04-2010 09:22 PM

alright alright... i promise i will go to Autozone tomorrow. i just haven't had anytime... I just read a thread where someone had close to the same symptoms that i have now. and his problem was a loose ecu controller wire.