E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   *Hmm Instrument Cluster and Gauges Is Not Working, Great. What Can It Be?* (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=796168)

M3_POWER 10-05-2010 03:38 PM

*Hmm Instrument Cluster and Gauges Is Not Working, Great. What Can It Be?*

Well today when I started the car, the top three lights on my cluster light up (high beams, oil, and forgot the one left of the high beam). I turned the car off and back on, and to my surprise, nothing on the instrument cluster light up anymore, along with the gauges being dead (no tach, speed and coolant temp pegged to the right in the red). I'm sure the coolant gauge does that by default correct? My AC is acting weird now as well. It works, but the air isnt very cold (even on 59). Everytime I turn off the car and start it back up, the ABS and airbag light will turn on and goes away like it normally does. Then the same problem occurs, no displays on the cluster. I'm going to check the fuses, but I don't think it's that because the ABS and airbag light comes on then off when I start the car. I'm wondering if it's due to me hitting an animal that ripped my front bumper off and knocked some wiring around from underneath a few weeks ago. Any help would be really appreciated!

ayogpradhan 10-05-2010 07:15 PM

Why don't you try unplugging and resetting the cluster?

M3_POWER 10-05-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayogpradhan (Post 12314292)
Why don't you try unplugging and resetting the cluster?

How do you do that?

ayogpradhan 10-06-2010 02:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYuZDDAtm2I

this might help you a little

-z0sick- 12-26-2010 08:52 PM

Ok so the same thing happened to me this morning. As some of you may know we've had a crazy amt of rain here in socal lately and I think that the moisture may be a culprit. Here are what my symptoms where and what I did to fix it:

Symptoms
* Speedo, Tach, Gas, Coolant Temp, MPG, Odo, gauges not working
* None of the steering wheel buttons are working
* Turn signals not working
* Fan works but A/C does not
* Radio works
* ABS and Seat Belt lights work
* Instrument cluster lights up

How I fixed it:

Tried to perform the Instrument Cluster Self Test (hold down the trip button, turn key to position 1) but that didn't do anything. VERY IMPORTANT: I then left the key in position 1 then opened up the fuse box and checked fuses 10, 34, and 43 by taking them out and putting them back in. All the fuses were fine BUT when I took out the last fuse (43) and put it back in I heard this strange motor sound and then magically the instrument cluster started working.

So leave the key in position 1, pull out and put back in each fuse one-by-one and see what happen

demolanike 02-03-2013 05:21 PM

I WAS DRIVING MY 2003 BMW 330i TODAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ON THE CLUSTER CAME ON. I SWITCHED OFF THE ENGINE AND SWITCHED IT BACK ON, THOSE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WENT OFF AND AFTER SOME ,MINUTES IT CAME BACK ON AGAIN. CHECKED THE BRAKE OIL, BRAKE PADS EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE. SOMETIMES THE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WILL CHANGE FROM RED TO YELLOW. NOW AS I WAS COMMING BACK ON MY JOURNEY. THE ODOMETER GAUGE AND THE FUEL ECONOMY GAUGE STARTED ACTING ERRATIC AND AFTER SOME TIME ALSO STOPPED WORKING. WE HAD A SNOW STORM YESTERDAY AND IT ALSO RAINED ALSO. COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS OR SOMETHING ELSE. I CHECKED THE FUSES CONTROLLING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, ALL THREE FUSES ARE FINE. WHAT DO I DO? DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ANSWER?

TerraPhantm 02-04-2013 01:06 AM

Coolant pegged to the red means the cluster lost communication with the DME. I would check the wiring and fuses

kaput 02-06-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demolanike (Post 15125803)
I WAS DRIVING MY 2003 BMW 330i TODAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE BRAKE AND ABS LIGHTS ON THE CLUSTER CAME ON. I SWITCHED OFF THE ENGINE AND SWITCHED IT BACK ON, THOSE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WENT OFF AND AFTER SOME ,MINUTES IT CAME BACK ON AGAIN. CHECKED THE BRAKE OIL, BRAKE PADS EVERYTHING LOOKS FINE. SOMETIMES THE TWO INDICATOR LIGHTS WILL CHANGE FROM RED TO YELLOW. NOW AS I WAS COMMING BACK ON MY JOURNEY. THE ODOMETER GAUGE AND THE FUEL ECONOMY GAUGE STARTED ACTING ERRATIC AND AFTER SOME TIME ALSO STOPPED WORKING. WE HAD A SNOW STORM YESTERDAY AND IT ALSO RAINED ALSO. COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS OR SOMETHING ELSE. I CHECKED THE FUSES CONTROLLING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, ALL THREE FUSES ARE FINE. WHAT DO I DO? DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ANSWER?

Vehicle Speed Sensor

M3FlyMe 05-03-2013 06:08 PM

Man this site/thread just saved me. Was driving to Albany from Syracuse and halfway there my turn signal indicators failed and my seatbelt light came on, even though it was buckled. Stopped at a rest area and checked them outside and they were working. So I continued the trip. Man I was dreading bringing it in to the dealer. Pulled fuse 43 and as soon as I did heard a motor/ratchet sound. Everything seems to be fine now. This is my go to first for anything that goes wrong with the ///M.