E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rear Shock mount....Replace shocks? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797729)

hurffman 10-12-2010 02:18 PM

Rear Shock mount....Replace shocks?

I went to a shop today for my 2000 323ci with 106,000 miles on it. I asked about replacing a shock mount and he said the shocks should be replaced 2....is this true or is this guy tryin to get me. He didnt look at the car at all.

3bananas 10-12-2010 02:24 PM

if he did not look at the car he's trying to get you

Autobot325i 10-12-2010 02:25 PM

if its 100+ miles and still on OEM I would say its shot too without looking. I dont think he trying to get you like that...10 years is a long time. if you wanted to replace shock mounts I would do the stuts too. thats just me.

hurffman 10-12-2010 02:37 PM

If I do replace the rear should i do the fronts 2? I feel like this car is fallin apart lately n thinkin about getting rid of it....

xi_ter 10-12-2010 02:52 PM

Shocks are shot after about 70,000 miles. Yes do the fronts as well. This is an opportunity for a drop and better handling.
Buy Eibach ProKit springs and Koni sports shocks at TireRack. Borrow a spring compressor and use this DIY http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=12 to complete for under $1000.

ModBargains.com 10-12-2010 04:03 PM

OEM shocks typically have a life span of 50-70k miles depending on how you drive. Seeing how your car is over 100k miles it may be a good idea to do an entire suspension over haul. One of the more popular setups have been the H&R Touring Cup kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan

hummer 10-13-2010 12:03 PM

If you are on OEM shocks at 106K, that is the reason it feels like it's falling apart! You need to replace all four. I would suggest that a suspension rebuild is in order? Ever replaced the control arms and bushings or the trailing arm bushings? Sway links? researh here and see if your problems are related to these items wearing out.

xFalleNx330Ci 10-13-2010 12:12 PM

Well I'd assume that at 100k if they're OEM that you should probably replace your shocks all the way around and your mounts. It'll be a substantially noticeable difference. I think it's kind of ridiculous for anyone to think at 100k someone is telling you to replace your shocks/mounts and to think that you probably don't need to.

rudieg203 10-13-2010 05:26 PM

im at 140k and i dont think mine are shot.. yet i got the car at 123k so i have no idea if mines are needed to be replaced :hmm:

xFalleNx330Ci 10-13-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudieg203 (Post 12345306)
im at 140k and i dont think mine are shot.. yet i got the car at 123k so i have no idea if mines are needed to be replaced :hmm:

Chances are that at 140k if they're feeling really good still, they were probably replaced before you bought the car.

paraklas 10-14-2010 12:44 AM

Other than "feel" and mileage-based assumptions, how can you tell if shocks are bad? I'm at 101k miles, on the worst roads possible, running eibach pro-kit springs and I still pass the MOT test which tests shock absorbers.

SalM 10-14-2010 05:50 PM

Mod Bargains FTW! They hooked me up with a sick deal on Kw's!!!! :4ngie:

abduke232 10-17-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModBargains.com (Post 12340724)
OEM shocks typically have a life span of 50-70k miles depending on how you drive. Seeing how your car is over 100k miles it may be a good idea to do an entire suspension over haul. One of the more popular setups have been the H&R Touring Cup kits are not merely a 'matched' spring and shock package, but rather a specially engineered 'solution' with springs and shocks being engineered individually in every application. This takes the guess work out of your spring and shock selection, and provides you with an application specific, precisely calibrated spring and shock set designed to deliver improved handling, uncompromised ride comfort and sleek styling in one precision engineered package. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan

Sorry to threadjack but can you please provide me with a list of parts needed for a suspension overhaul? I've replaced FCAB's, ball joints, and links and it stills handles like cr*p and rattles like crazy over bumps... I am looking to do tie rods next but I don't know how much that would help. Any suggestions/lists would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.:thumbsup: