E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Drivers door key unlocking/locking problem (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797781)

JPesch 10-12-2010 07:22 PM

Drivers door key unlocking/locking problem

It looks like everything wants to go bad on my car right now. Luckily no big things though.. yet.

A little bit ago I went to unlock my door by using the key in the door and the key got stuck slightly offset from up/down and I had to use a little force to remove it.
Now the drivers door locks/unlocks fine with the button in the car and on the remote still. The problem is only when using the key in the door. It unlocked the door half the time, and made the sound of unlocking it but didn't fully unlock it the other half of trys. Nothing happened when i turned the key to the right, and the key wouldn't automatically go back to being vertical so it coul be pulled out.

Any advice?

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

JPesch 10-13-2010 12:11 AM

Does #11 seem correct? Im assuming thats all I would need.. but a second opinion always helps

11 CATCH WITH KEY CODE LEFT 1 09/2000 51218244049 $83.65

Also, does anyone know how I go about having it coded for my key? Hoping I give my vin and it comes coded.. :dunno:

AdamI 10-13-2010 12:36 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E46-DOOR-LOC...a0256f716#shId

No recoding necessary. Just disassemble, and reassemble with new parts. The bottom ring in the picture is probably what broke. I just replaced mine.

JPesch 10-13-2010 01:55 AM

That is great information AdamI. It didn't even cross my mind that I'd be able to fix mine. Is there anything else in the cylinder that could break? Or is that pretty much it? I'm definitely ready to buy that repair kit

AdamI 10-13-2010 06:05 PM

Open the door, and you'll see a rubber oval, kind of behind the cylinder but facing the rear of the car. Pop that out, use a size 4 or 5 hex key to unscrew the bolt. Then just wiggle the lock cylinder out of the door, and get a better idea of whats rly goin on.

JPesch 10-13-2010 10:32 PM

I will get in there and check it out tomorrow. Thanks

JPesch 10-14-2010 05:07 PM

As you can see, that ring circled in my picture was broken into a couple pieces so I ordered the repair kit that you linked to. Thanks a bunch.

AdamI 10-23-2010 11:04 PM

Sure thing man. You'll have fun getting the spring back in there, lol.

anhtu402 02-23-2011 12:46 AM

AdamI and others that have taken this apart: This might be a stupid question, but I'm pretty sure you have to take the door panel off right? Then do what you said in post #5?

Thanks!

anhtu402 02-23-2011 02:49 AM

Nvm I was able to figure it out.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

druggrepp 02-23-2011 09:25 AM

pics of lock

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of offending springs.
My key wont open doors so i am using key only and I know it's the same thing.
Keep us posted on the fix...
'01 325ci

Bombay Badboy 02-23-2013 03:12 PM

Soooooooooooo. What do you do when the remote doesnt work, and then the lock breaks?!?!?!!?

NumbaOneNewb 02-25-2013 05:25 AM

you better pray it broke when you were already unlocked and you were attempting to lock it.

btimm 03-09-2013 09:49 PM

Aha I just had that happen to me and had to get a little kid across the street to go through my ski hole and turn my car on to unlock the doors... Guess I will be doing this repair soon!

biggles0509 04-15-2013 02:24 PM

I too had locked my car and then the lock broke (remote hasn't worked for ages)! Luckily my very helpful son climbed in through the boot and turned the ignition on to unlock the car. Repair kit ordered.

NumbaOneNewb 04-15-2013 04:12 PM

Wow. Lol. Imagine if you didn't have a son and you had to do the whole tunnel rat thing. When you say repair kit, you mean the part that broke? Perhaps getting the remote working as well.

Cancal 06-21-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPesch (Post 12341258)
It looks like everything wants to go bad on my car right now. Luckily no big things though.. yet.

A little bit ago I went to unlock my door by using the key in the door and the key got stuck slightly offset from up/down and I had to use a little force to remove it.
Now the drivers door locks/unlocks fine with the button in the car and on the remote still. The problem is only when using the key in the door. It unlocked the door half the time, and made the sound of unlocking it but didn't fully unlock it the other half of trys. Nothing happened when i turned the key to the right, and the key wouldn't automatically go back to being vertical so it coul be pulled out.

Any advice?

Sent from my Droid using BimmerApp

Hi,
I've same problems as yours. But also facing problems to open all windows and sunroof. I press and hold, it just unlock driver's door. Central locking system is working fine. Any idea or suggestion?

blu_olivz 06-26-2013 05:24 PM

Having lock problems as well, on my '03 325i.
The driver's side door lock seems reluctant to pop up when unlocking, and when that happens, all the other three doors' locks don't respond when I try to unlock them (with key AND the central locking button in the car).
Central locking issue?

edit: I did some more digging (especially through that mother of all unlocking posts: "door locks are all crazy").
My problem looks like it has more to do with the general control module, specifically the relay responsible for unlocking all doors (relay 1-B).
For anyone interested in a detailed explanation: "BMW GM5 Door Lock Relay Schematic and Explaination"
I think I've just been posting in the wrong thread... anyway, good luck to everyone with their own issues!

Cancal 06-26-2013 05:30 PM

Does anyone can help me to find fuses for convenience options and fuse number? I did open glove box and saw the fuse box was reading but no luck.

blu_olivz 06-26-2013 06:11 PM

[deleted]