E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   MT's weak point (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=798463)

Evil Twin Rob 10-15-2010 01:53 PM

MT's weak point

After all my praise of these tires, they finally let me down. After my tire went flat today, I discovered a split all the way around the inside, where the tread meets the sidewall. They still have a decent amount of tread, so I took it Discount to see about some kind of warrantee. They told me they have tried to have that issue warrantied before, with no luck. Guess i'll try to find another tire that hooks well and lasts a little longer.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6536/tireqc.jpg

bobm3 10-15-2010 02:12 PM

sorryto hear about that but you were lucky

that the tire did not come apart while you were driving high speed.....i think you luck out kind of on that flat.....
bob ;);)

Commanderwiggin 10-15-2010 04:45 PM

That's really unfortunate...has Jesse had any problems with his? I was thinking about pulling the trigger on these next year.

InDiGlOM3 10-15-2010 05:30 PM

Thats weird......I have still had no problems. if you got the added warranty with discount, then its discount that warranties you. not where the tire came from. they bullshittin you and you need to make them replace it.

dmax 10-15-2010 05:43 PM

No warranty for a tread that's coming off? That's crazy...frankly, whether you had tread or not...but if it did have no tread, I'd understand them not wanting to just give you new tires...

Though, as those are, I also think you'd be crazy to have them warranty them by giving you the same tire. Maybe if you go back to place that sold you the tire and mention that you understand, but would hope they'd try again, coz otherwise you'll be mentioning this issue on the Internet...where you have 150K close friends!

I don't know what you were doing at the time, but will presume you hadn't exceeded speed rating of tire or did any drifting...but still...:facepalm: I won't be buying those tires!

Doug

BimmerDude18 10-15-2010 05:49 PM

I wonder if this is common, I've never heard of this before form an MT, but frankly all tires have some percentage of failure through sidewall separation.

funkboy316 10-15-2010 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 (Post 12353330)
I wonder if this is common, I've never heard of this before form an MT, but frankly all tires have some percentage of failure through sidewall separation.

yeah if you got the discount tire warranty you should be able to have them replaced. hell they replaced this for me.........got really lucky i was in rush hour traffic at about 25-30mph when this happened....could have been real nasty at speed, had both of the little ones in the back seat and everything.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1287184222

Evil Twin Rob 10-15-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 (Post 12353288)
Thats weird......I have still had no problems. if you got the added warranty with discount, then its discount that warranties you. not where the tire came from. they bullshittin you and you need to make them replace it.

I didn't figure they would last long enough to bother with a warranty.:ben:

jtrejo 10-15-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkboy316 (Post 12353411)
yeah if you got the discount tire warranty you should be able to have them replaced. hell they replaced this for me.........got really lucky i was in rush hour traffic at about 25-30mph when this happened....could have been real nasty at speed, had both of the little ones in the back seat and everything.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...1&d=1287184222

extreme garage make over needed ASAP!!!:thumbup: just playin

InDiGlOM3 10-16-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrejo (Post 12354109)

No your not.....Def needs one. atleast a cleaning.

MaverickM3 10-16-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob (Post 12352651)
After all my praise of these tires, they finally let me down. After my tire went flat today, I discovered a split all the way around the inside, where the tread meets the sidewall. They still have a decent amount of tread, so I took it Discount to see about some kind of warrantee. They told me they have tried to have that issue warrantied before, with no luck. Guess i'll try to find another tire that hooks well and lasts a little longer.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6536/tireqc.jpg

Thanks for the post Rob. This is what I was getting ready to order for my car since you and Taza had really good reviews for traction on them. Well this sucks..:(

MSpired 10-16-2010 12:49 PM

Might just be a fluke, I wouldn't throw out these tires as a solution just from one tire doing this...

Evil Twin Rob 10-16-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSpired (Post 12355109)
Might just be a fluke, I wouldn't throw out these tires as a solution just from one tire doing this...

Both tires did it, and the separation was even starting to occur on the outside. I will ask Discount if their warranty would have covered this. If so, I will buy another set with a warranty. If not, I want to try the Toyo r888.

funkboy316 10-16-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrejo (Post 12354109)

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 (Post 12354680)
No your not.....Def needs one. atleast a cleaning.

its just the shed, not where the car sleeps....lol if you can tell it has been alot of things, paint booth, fiberglass shop, cabinet shop, junk storage.....lol

MSpired 10-16-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob (Post 12355442)
Both tires did it, and the separation was even starting to occur on the outside. I will ask Discount if their warranty would have covered this. If so, I will buy another set with a warranty. If not, I want to try the Toyo r888.

Wow, both at the same time, that's crazy! A warranty would be worth it then :thumbsup:

HPF Chris 10-16-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob (Post 12355442)

There's a number on the tire that tells you the date it was made. Can you find that # and post it up?

Chris.

UrineMachine 10-16-2010 10:24 PM

That is consistent with sidewall rip from running low air pressure for sustained amounts of time.

What pressure did these see?

Honestly.

It also doesn't help that this is a large rim size - it's hard to tell visually that they're low on air.

Low air, soft compound, small sidewall, rip.

BimmerDude18 10-16-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrineMachine (Post 12356345)
That is consistent with sidewall rip from running low air pressure for sustained amounts of time.

What pressure did these see?

Honestly.

It also doesn't help that this is a large rim size - it's hard to tell visually that they're low on air.

Low air, soft compound, small sidewall, rip.

I was thinking that. Soft compounds with lots of heat are good for traction, but the heat generated by running lower air pressure also can lead to sidewall separation (anyone remember Firestones and Explorers?).

I'm not saying there isn't an issue, but that it might require some investigation, MT's are beloved tires.

As a side note, a buddy with a GTO mentioned a newer goodyear drag radial has gotten a ton of respect from the GTO crowd.

UrineMachine 10-16-2010 10:42 PM

A lot of people will run their cars on drag radials (R2 compound) or true slicks (whether nylon belted or bias ply) when dyno'ing on dual-roller units and be surprised when the tires are ruined in like 30 seconds of pulling. The heat generated by low air pressure or high load weight is remarkable. The only time you can REALLY get away with it on the street is on a 15 - 16" wheel where theres lots of material to transfer the heat to. But, if you drove down the street on ET Street Radials @ 10 psi on a 15" you'd melt them in a few miles too.

InDiGlOM3 10-17-2010 12:07 AM

Rob also took these from wa to cali and back. I have takin mine (same size) from Tx to Az and back, 2k round trip.