E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   my 2001 330xi turns over but wont start (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800231)

blackybmw 10-24-2010 10:00 AM

my 2001 330xi turns over but wont start

my sons 2001 330xi was running fine other than a whistle under acceleration, he stopped at taco bell to eat came out now wont start, what should i look for is it the fuel pump and if it is where is it located he is 60 miles away and im going to have to work on it there. help me! thanks

Kubica 10-24-2010 10:37 AM

Fuel pump is in the fuel tank, which is accessible under the rear seat.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...-Fuel-Pump.htm

Hopefully it's not the starter, which is a tough DIY on an xi. If you don't think it's fuel related- try pop starting it.

TiAgXi 10-24-2010 10:42 AM

Dead batter is normally the culprit for this kind of thread. Not always but many times. If the car's battery is the original, it's lived a nice long life for a battery and needs to be replaced.

blackybmw 10-24-2010 10:59 AM

has new battery only 4 months old, is there any way to see if fuel pump is working, thanks for the thread very helpful, glad to see dont have to crawl under car.

TiAgXi 10-24-2010 11:07 AM

When you turn your key to position two (one stop before starting the car) you can hear the fuel pump prime itself. If you can't hear it prime, the fuel pump may be shot.

Is this a california car, by any chance? If so, it's a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) and the fuel pump is different than in other cars. I believe the fuel pump on a SULEV car is inside the gas tank and is a PITA to replace.

Kubica 10-24-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgXi (Post 12383732)
When you turn your key to position two (one stop before starting the car) you can hear the fuel pump prime itself. If you can't hear it prime, the fuel pump may be shot.

Is this a california car, by any chance? If so, it's a Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) and the fuel pump is different than in other cars. I believe the fuel pump on a SULEV car is inside the gas tank and is a PITA to replace.

330's aren't SULEV's. Only 325's. Also I don't think they made xi's with SULVEV, but I may be mixing that up with auto tranny's.

If the battery light came on at all while the car was running previously, it's most likely the alternator.

one thumb juan 10-24-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiAgXi (Post 12383732)

+1
Your son can do this test before you get there. Get in close the doors and listen for the pump under the back seat.

blackybmw 10-24-2010 09:03 PM

no noise but pump still works when hooked up to battery now what?

TX_Bullet 10-24-2010 09:24 PM

well 2 things make a car run fuel and igntition. Check for fuel at the valve on the fuel rail after that pull a igntition coil stick a screws driver in there and try to start it if you got a spark to the block your good.

blackybmw 10-24-2010 11:05 PM

how about spraying starting fluid in intake to see if fuel or ignition

TiAgXi 10-25-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackybmw (Post 12385595)
how about spraying starting fluid in intake to see if fuel or ignition

Your MAF is not going to like that at all. Plan on replacing it after you attempt to start the car with starting fluid.

one thumb juan 10-25-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackybmw (Post 12385223)
no noise but pump still works when hooked up to battery now what?

I assume you mean it does make noise when hooked to a battery. Follow the path of electricity. Check for power at the fuel pump relay socket.

TX_Bullet 10-25-2010 07:58 PM

yea steer away from starter fluid with that previous maf.
Like the other member said check for power at pump connection.
By the way you can pull that maf off spray that starter fluid in the boot slap it together and crank it

one thumb juan 10-25-2010 08:10 PM

I'll also add that i have never ever ever seen a BMW start up using anything sprayed into the intake. Not one made after 85' at least.

TX_Bullet 10-25-2010 09:32 PM

It was worth a shot. If you hearing the pump connected direct to battery but not when normally connected you need to check fuses and relays