E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   cluster problem or lkm? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800768)

rew7602 10-26-2010 05:01 PM

cluster problem or lkm?

I have a 2004 330xi and seem to be having either a cluster or lkm problem. First, the car was involved in an accident this summer. The front end was repaired and on my first night back with the car the motor failed. (part of the air box sucked into 2 cylinders bending valves. As the body work was all done when this happened the insurance company covered the motor as part of the accident. Yay for me! I now have gotten the car back and was informed that it would need a new cluster as the cluster and lights stay on when the key is shut off and removed. If I take out fuse #43 the lights all go out when the car is off and I can not see any negative side effect of removing the fuse. Has anyone experienced a problem like this before? I'm not sure if this is the right place on the forum to get the best answer. I don't really want to spring for a new cluster and then have to have it programmed. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rickna 10-26-2010 05:07 PM

Sounds like a wiring harness was damaged, the shop probably missed it.

rew7602 10-26-2010 05:26 PM

That may be, it's just odd that it didn't do it before the motor and now does it after the motor. Figured out what fuse 43 does. Without it no clock memory or trip odometer. Both zero out every time the key is removed or the ignition is shut off.

xi_ter 10-26-2010 10:50 PM

Talk to the insurance company and get an opinion from another garage, this garage is trying to cover the fact that they haven't repaired the car. This is an outcome of the accident. Make sure you don't get a tamper dot as a result on any cluster swapping.

rew7602 11-01-2010 04:09 PM

So, it turns out that I neither had a cluster or light control module problem. I drove the car around a couple days with the #43 fuse removed. By the way it gives constant power to the cluster as well as the obdII port. When I went to get my inspection I had to put the fuse back in. I was getting ready to explain the problem with my cluster, but when I shut the car off the lights all went out like they are supposed to. My only guess is that there is some type of capacitor in the cluster which was run down from having the battery disconnected for 2 weeks. Oh well, all is well in any event, looks like my shop didn't know what they were talking about.

Rickna 11-01-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rew7602 (Post 12413596)
So, it turns out that I neither had a cluster or light control module problem. I drove the car around a couple days with the #43 fuse removed. By the way it gives constant power to the cluster as well as the obdII port. When I went to get my inspection I had to put the fuse back in. I was getting ready to explain the problem with my cluster, but when I shut the car off the lights all went out like they are supposed to. My only guess is that there is some type of capacitor in the cluster which was run down from having the battery disconnected for 2 weeks. Oh well, all is well in any event, looks like my shop didn't know what they were talking about.

Good to hear. I was also thinking that sometimes it takes several drive cycles to reset/clear. Whatever the cure was, glad it's fixed.

Kubica 11-01-2010 04:22 PM

There's an M3 convertible in my neighborhood- sometimes the cluster stays lit while it's parked.