E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   @nd hand car - What kind of suspension mods do I have (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=803917)

DasQvck 11-10-2010 06:54 PM

@nd hand car - What kind of suspension mods do I have

Ok, so I bought this '01 330xi from a guy who had it listed on craigslist. He claimed it was all stock except the muffler and cold air intake. But the more I learn about E46 and xi models, the more I start to wonder. Looking at the stance, it doesn't have those wheel gaps most xi owners rant about.

So, how can I tell what kind of suspension mods have been done to the car? Any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. Better pics of ride height coming soon...

ryanwhite74115 11-10-2010 09:38 PM

A lower ride does not necessarily indicate that you have an aftermarket suspension (for better or worse).

1. You could have cracked springs (yes....somehow in BMW's infinite wisdom, they engineered a spring that is prone to cracking).

2. Or your shocks could be blown...effectively lowering your ride because they are not rebounding properly.

3. Or, you could have aftermarket springs....

Have you actually gone under the car (or taken a wheel off) and looked at the springs?

DasQvck 11-11-2010 05:47 AM

Yeah, I've had it up on a lift a couple of times at school and looked all over the car for broken or leaking parts. The springs are in good shape, there's no fluid on the outside of the shocks, and the car handles like a dream. The springs look like some variable rate springs I've seen in the past, large at the top and tapering to the diameter of the shock at the bottom. Not sure if all E46 springs look like this or not. I'll get some pics of the springs this weekend and see if anyone recognizes what I've got.

Snik 11-11-2010 07:41 AM

Thats how all the springs look man.
usually after market springs have a brand stamped on them somewhere, and some have funky colors.
stock shocks are silver. most aftermarket is colored, and again, have a brand written on them somewhere.

If you dont see a brand anywhere on the suspension, and the shocks/struts are silver, and the springs black. theyre probably stock, and u just have WORN OUT suspension, that will sit lower, but ride crappy.

Also, if thats the car in the avatar, id guess its stock based on the fender gaps.

BMW_Matt 11-11-2010 02:33 PM

Get under the car and check it.

DasQvck 11-18-2010 02:47 PM

Ok, learning as I go here about the history of this car. I managed to find the markings after wiping off the layers of brake dust and road grime. The springs are H&R sport springs (P/N 29382) front and rear. Anyone else running these? 'Cause I gotta say, they make the ride quite good in the corners.

Snik 11-19-2010 12:31 PM

yeah, i few of the locals are. the H&R cupkit touring comes with sports springs, and the cupkit sport, comes with race springs.

Could you see what shocks theyre matched with? they work very well with some bilstein sports or Koni sports shocks/struts

DasQvck 11-24-2010 05:33 PM

Pretty sure it's Bilsteins. At least 3 of them are. The previous owner went el-cheapo on the driver's rear shock when it blew. It's not even the right shock for the car (wheel hangs a few inches lower when it's up on the lift). It's on the ever-growing list of things to fix.

Snik 11-24-2010 09:18 PM

fix that asap