E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Installing Bilstein Sport Struts this weekend: One question... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=804046)

Mango 11-11-2010 12:26 PM

Installing Bilstein Sport Struts this weekend: One question...

I've got a question first, is the lower part of the front strut supposed to stick out past the bottom of the hub? Or does it stop and line up flush with the bottom of where it slides into? I've seen debate in the past but wanted to do this correctly. If anyone knows for sure, let me know.

Oh and can someone explain the L and R marks on the strut? I know it means to line up the L or R depending on which side you're installing... but if the struts are different for L and R anyway, why would each strut have a need for L and R markings? Right strut can only go on the right and therefore should have only ONE mark saying line up pinch bolt HERE. Am I understanding this wrong?

323iINt.o 11-11-2010 01:28 PM

The strut has a notch in the bottom of it. Slide it up as far as possible.

TitaniumCranium 11-11-2010 08:56 PM

WARNING IF YOU HAVE HID's

Unbolt the level sensor connector on the front lower control arm on the passenger side when you drop that strut. If you don't there is a high probability that your strut replacement will cost an additional $100. Don't ask me how I know.

Another BM 11-11-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumcranium (Post 12455415)
warning if you have hid's

unbolt the level sensor connector on the front lower control arm on the passenger side when you drop that strut. If you don't there is a high probability that your strut replacement will cost an additional $100. Don't ask me how i know.

+1

lol

lejeunebimmer 11-11-2010 09:56 PM

They sit pretty much flush, because of the way they're designed. +1 as to leveling sensor.

Don't think too much into the L&R on the stuts once you start putting them on, it'll be qutie obvious as to how they go!

franz 11-12-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer (Post 12455572)
They sit pretty much flush, because of the way they're designed. +1 as to leveling sensor.

Don't think too much into the L&R on the stuts once you start putting them on, it'll be qutie obvious as to how they go!

They may have changed designs but mine definitely sat about 2" below the hub mounting. If there is a smaller diameter near the bottom that's how it works, if not and it's all one diameter then they just go in almost to the bottom.

dmax 02-18-2013 01:19 PM

So, I need new struts...ordered Bilstein touring...and just finished reading some posts about them lifting the front up too high...so wondering if I have a choice of some slightly shorter struts. Is the HD lower...think there's a Bilstein Sport too.

Finally, Mango, how you liking your struts? I had Sachs...blew after 3 years. tsk!

Anyway, getting to this soon (love the Meyle HD CABs btw...go nicely with Lem CAs!).

college46 02-18-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmax (Post 15173559)
So, I need new struts...ordered Bilstein touring...and just finished reading some posts about them lifting the front up too high...so wondering if I have a choice of some slightly shorter struts. Is the HD lower...think there's a Bilstein Sport too.

Finally, Mango, how you liking your struts? I had Sachs...blew after 3 years. tsk!

Anyway, getting to this soon (love the Meyle HD CABs btw...go nicely with Lem CAs!).

Bilstein HD's and Sports have the exact same valve length. And Touring has longer valve length than Hd's. Hd's are optimized for stock ride height and sports are for aftermarket springs. I had "Comforts" on a previous car and they are closest to non sport oem sachs.

dmax 02-19-2013 03:52 PM

Thanks, College!

Are these 'comforts' you speak of a fourth Bilstein model, or is that another term for 'touring'?

I'll get them tomorrow I think...guess I'll find out what I got then!

Mango 02-19-2013 03:58 PM

I love my sports. ride is extremely planted and secure under any condition. Gotta love monotube high pressure Bilsteins

From tire rack:

For the enthusiast driver who demands superior handling, the Bilstein Sport shocks and struts deliver the highest levels of control. An excellent match for vehicles with lowering springs or upgraded anti-roll bars, the Sport Series shocks and struts perform under demanding conditions.

The Bilstein Principle

All Bilstein gas pressure struts/inserts and gas pressure shock absorbers operate on the same principle. They are manufactured with the rod pointing down into the strut tube, thereby utilizing the thicker, stouter body portion of the shock absorber to dissipate side loads. Consequently, due to the increased diameter and surface of the pressure tube, the Bilstein gas pressure strut/insert or shock is better suited to take increased side loads when compared with the conventional version.

Additional advantages, based on development strongly influenced by the motorsport industry, include greater stability, better road handling, and accurate steering. This combined with extremely high quality manufacturing and materials, means Bilsteins will last approximately four times as long as Original Equipment.

Battling Heat Build Up

Conventional shocks trap the heat within the shock body and prevent adequate dissipation, making them prone to heat build up, fade and eventual failure.

Bilstein's patented design allows the excessive heat from the oil to transfer to the outer surface of the shock body and dissipate more efficiently. The dividing piston also permits the oil to expand as heat builds, preventing aeration (foaming) and viscosity loss. This allows the shock to maintain full damping characteristics as temperatures rise.

The tube of a Bilstein gas pressure shock or strut is fabricated using a special extrusion method. This process achieves an extremely tight peak-to-valley tolerance and maintains consistent wall thickness. Bilstein's seamless monotube design provides superior tube strength while maximizing heat dissipation and shock life.

Ride Comfort and Performance Without Compromise

The piston head design allows independent tuning of the compression and rebound damping forces to provide optimum ride comfort and performance without compromise. It features fewer parts than most conventional designs. The product's simple, yet exceptionally functional digressive design contributes to the extreme durability and long life of Bilstein Shock Absorbers.

Better Built

Bilstein's shock bodies are precision formed through a unique seamless extrusion process. This provides superior strength along with high finish tolerances. The shock body is then treated with a special paint finish durable enough to withstand grueling 240-hour salt spray tests. The finished body is mated with a solid, induction-hardened steel chrome plated and polished shaft, machined valving components and highest quality seals.

Bilstein products are backed by an aftermarket lifetime warranty.

///MPR77 02-19-2013 04:16 PM

My bilstein touring struts do protrude below the bottom of the knuckle.

I had to use a jack under the control arm, and sprayed a bit of lube. (Loctite silicone spray) on the bottom of the strut...jacked it up and it sunk right in.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Bimmer App

ryannel2003 02-19-2013 09:43 PM

^This. I didn't do this and one side of the car sat up higher than the other side :facepalm:.

It's fine now and the height isn't that much different than the OEM suspension, though it doesn't bother me anyway.