E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Dealer costs for trans and diffs fluid changes (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=807960)

ganicki 12-01-2010 10:06 AM

Dealer costs for trans and diffs fluid changes

Called the dealer and quoted me a cost of $550 for trans and diffs fluid changes. Crazy or what! Proably gonna do it myself for the cost of the trans filter kit and fluids cost. Got basically the same Cost from an independent BMW service place also. It really needs to be done. I'm in the wrong business

tiloulou330i 12-01-2010 10:11 AM

Is it auto?Just diy and save the bundle of cash.

ganicki 12-01-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiloulou330i (Post 12523733)
Is it auto?Just diy and save the bundle of cash.

yeah-- an auto, but what are parts and fluids going to cost-- $100-$125--probably doesn't take a hour of work--I agree, DIY and save a ton o'cash

mp333 12-03-2010 11:37 PM

Paid $805 for trans and diffs fluid changes and BG Treatment. Had them change the trans filter, cost a little more.
Shift and runs much smoother.

xi_ter 12-04-2010 09:58 AM

If you have a floor jack and 4 stands there are benefits besides saving $$$. You can see the condition of the fluids. You will need to put ATF in the transfer case too since this fluid seems to boil down to a sludge. Is that in the estimate?
There is a sticker covering the fill plug of the transmission. Once you're past that, draining is straight forward following the many DIYs here.

TwoDuckDad 12-04-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganicki (Post 12523808)
yeah-- an auto, but what are parts and fluids going to cost-- $100-$125--probably doesn't take a hour of work--I agree, DIY and save a ton o'cash

Yeah, because you know the dealer will only take an hour to do the work and charge you for three hours time...think again.

chuckb 12-04-2010 04:18 PM

most every shop charges book time.

Unless it goes over. Like for some unforeseen reason like sicking/rusted bolts. Then they make you pay that.

I once payed the local chevy stealer $350 in labor to change a god damn dip stick tube because he couldnt get it out. That's why you want top find knowledgeable and experienced mechanics. Sure they do jobs quicker than book time cause they know what they're doing. But you don't have to worry about paying the guy extra $$$$ over book because he works slow or doesnt know the quickest/most efficient way to do things.

chaso 12-07-2010 08:10 AM

Im getting all my drivetrain fluids flushed tomorrow for ~$180 @ a BMW mechanic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using BimmerApp

ECSTuning 12-07-2010 09:51 AM

We have a complete section devoted to the E46 Xi drive train fluids available
below...

Click HERE for more information.
http://www.ecstuning.com/groupheader...ssionFluid.jpg

Click HERE for more information.
http://www.ecstuning.com/groupheader...ntialFluid.jpg

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

SILVRRONIN 12-07-2010 10:11 AM

diferentail fluids are easy..transmission was a doosey, filling the fluid and starting the car to insert more fluid and insert the plug next to the exhaust was a little brutal. But I saved about $300 doing it myself witha buddy of mine. exactly what everybody says STEALERSHIP!

Ivanhoe 12-07-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN (Post 12546366)
diferentail fluids are easy..transmission was a doosey, filling the fluid and starting the car to insert more fluid and insert the plug next to the exhaust was a little brutal. But I saved about $300 doing it myself witha buddy of mine. exactly what everybody says STEALERSHIP!

Agreeee:excited:

conv440 12-07-2010 02:08 PM

Biggest surprise for me when doing the trans fluid was that you have to remove the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front diff. Requires an inverse torx socket which I had to run out and get at Sears. Also you need to run the car in gear with all 4 wheels off the ground and you on a creeper checking the fluid level, SCARY! but definately worth the trouble.

dephantn 12-08-2010 09:55 AM

1st. of all, better way is you use 12 cement block (construction, Home depot) and 4 pieces of 6" x 3" x 12 feet long to make the ramp.
I did , it safe, easy, removable when done, cheaper than small steel ramp.
The car will up about 10 inches, level, easy to craw under ( buy the stroller too) .
Do not need to remove drive shaft as CONV440 needed.
Do not need to buy the pump to pump fluid in, use 1/2 " plastic tube, then drill the hole 1/2 " on the cap of jug ( any jug 4-5 quarts ) put the tube in to bottom, put the jug on the chair about 3 feet high, press by 2 hands to the sides of jug, fluid will flows in to tranny, then open the cap to let air in, it take 10 minutes for 5 quarts go in .
You better buy 11 quarts to flush out ALL old fluid.
It could take you 3 hours to do the job, but it worthy .
Differentials & transfer case is very easy, But you need 14mm Hex/allen key bit .

chuckb 12-08-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dephantn (Post 12550801)
1st. of all, better way is you use 12 cement block (construction, Home depot) and 4 pieces of 6" x 3" x 12 feet long to make the ramp.
I did , it safe, easy, removable when done, cheaper than small steel ramp.
The car will up about 10 inches, level, easy to craw under ( buy the stroller too) .
Do not need to buy the pump to pump fluid in, use 1/2 " plastic tube, then drill the hole 1/2 " on the cap of jug ( any jug 4-5 quarts ) put the tube in to bottom, put the jug on the chair about 3 feet high, press by 2 hands to the sides of jug, fluid will flows in to tranny, then open the cap to let air in, it take 10 minutes for 5 quarts go in .
You better buy 11 quarts to flush out ALL old fluid.
It could take you 3 hours to do the job, but it worthy .
Differentials & transfer case is very easy, But you need 14mm Hex/allen key bit .

Never EVER get under a car supported by cinder blocks!!!!! That is a BIG no no!!!!!!!

conv440 12-08-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dephantn (Post 12550801)

I don't know how you can access the fill plug with the driveshaft in place, there is no way to get a hex socket on the thing or add fluid back in.

+1 on the cinder block thing, too many sad stories about what happens when they fail suddenly.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...W/IMG_0940.jpg

chuckb 12-08-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conv440 (Post 12551346)
I don't know how you can access the fill plug with the driveshaft in place, there is no way to get a hex socket on the thing or add fluid back in.

+1 on the cinder block thing, too many sad stories about what happens when they fail suddenly.

I never even considered touching the driveshaft when i did mine.... It wasn't in the way at all.

I used a pump though so i didn't need much room fill it with fluid.

SILVRRONIN 12-08-2010 02:18 PM

tranny fluid

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckb (Post 12551449)
I never even considered touching the driveshaft when i did mine.... It wasn't in the way at all.

I used a pump though so i didn't need much room fill it with fluid.

dude! I am soooo with you on that! i didnt have to remove anything but the plugs!

SILVRRONIN 12-08-2010 02:20 PM

tranny fluid

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckb (Post 12551272)
Never EVER get under a car supported by cinder blocks!!!!! That is a BIG no no!!!!!!!

WHOA NELLIE!
cynder blocks! whitch were designed for cementing ona block pattern for asay..a small fire pit or the foundation of a tool shed! THATS A HUUUGE NO NO! they will give and a two ton automobile on your head and chest.....:yikes:

Kubica 12-08-2010 10:15 PM

Wait, why don't you guys with an auto tranny just measure how much fluid comes out, and then refill with the same amount? Just wondering.

mp333 12-08-2010 10:37 PM

Drain & Fill is easy to do. What about replacing the old filter in the tranny. With that many miles the thing has be clogged up quite a bit and probably reduces the flow of fluid. I definitely had mine replaced. Worth it. After market is $50 and OEM is about $80?

Oil filter is changed at every oil change why not the tranny filter???