E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   So I'm halfway thru my m54b30 swap into my 325xit. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=808182)

jfman 12-02-2010 01:16 AM

So I'm halfway thru my m54b30 swap into my 325xit.
 
So installing an m54b30 into my sport package manual wagon.... simple right? Bought an m54b30 from a 330i, swapped the pan and put it all together... but while it's apart I decided to replace all the seals, all the hoses, the CCV, the clutch. The llittle things add up fast. $1500 worth of maintenance items.

So cost of motor + all the new parts = $$$$$ :banghead:

It started snowing here in Montreal and my 325xit is in pieces... 200miles away.


Lost of work and not feeling like working on the car


So basicaly this is a swap blues support thread.

5mall5nail5 12-02-2010 07:32 AM

Geez - is it worth it do you think? Our family has a 325xi and I enjoy how the car drives stock, I don't see the need for that little displacement bump and all the associated work especially on a late model BMW. Unless of course something is wrong with your 2.5L engine.

SILVRRONIN 12-02-2010 07:51 AM

ya Know I procrastinated for five months over the oil filter housing gasket. Everytime I looked...small puddles of Bloops of oil. After a while I decided... i dont like this..I am going to change the situation..Its far easier to stay in the comfort zone of whooing over something than actually taken action!..just mentally decide to take control of the project-change your mindset-and apply yourself. There is agood reason why you wanted to do the engine swap-follow through on it-challenges is what makes it rewarding in the end.....

jfman 12-02-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 (Post 12528421)
Geez - is it worth it do you think? Our family has a 325xi and I enjoy how the car drives stock, I don't see the need for that little displacement bump and all the associated work especially on a late model BMW. Unless of course something is wrong with your 2.5L engine.

Well the 325 lacked torque to make me want to keep it long term. I wanted something with proper power and I think the m54b30 will satisfy me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SILVRRONIN (Post 12528450)
ya Know I procrastinated for five months over the oil filter housing gasket. Everytime I looked...small puddles of Bloops of oil. After a while I decided... i dont like this..I am going to change the situation..Its far easier to stay in the comfort zone of whooing over something than actually taken action!..just mentally decide to take control of the project-change your mindset-and apply yourself. There is agood reason why you wanted to do the engine swap-follow through on it-challenges is what makes it rewarding in the end.....

procrastination is my enemy lol :D

SamDoe1 12-02-2010 08:43 AM

Just think of how hard all that maintenance would be if the motor was IN the car. :thumbup:

Keep it up, the extra power and sound are definitely worth it.

jfman 12-02-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 12528534)
Just think of how hard all that maintenance would be if the motor was IN the car. :thumbup:

Keep it up, the extra power and sound are definitely worth it.

Yeah and my car has high miles so now I`m going to a low miles engine. :thumbsup:


This all started over a blown clutch :D

5mall5nail5 12-02-2010 09:09 AM

Yeah I know the feeling haha

I pulled my 200k mile M50 to fix some nasty oil leaks and a slight rebuild, and ended up building a motor with forged internals and a big turbo.

jfman 12-02-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 12528534)
Keep it up, the extra power and sound are definitely worth it.


I have never driven a 330i. But I figured it will be worth it and since my wagon has 3.23 gears in it (compared to 3.07 for 330xi) it will be fairly quick for a wagon. Should be fun.

I wonder how different the sound will be? Its the same exhaust system, only the intake manifold, intake pipe and MAF pipes are bigger.

SamDoe1 12-02-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 12529064)
I have never driven a 330i. But I figured it will be worth it and since my wagon has 3.23 gears in it (compared to 3.07 for 330xi) it will be fairly quick for a wagon. Should be fun.

I wonder how different the sound will be? Its the same exhaust system, only the intake manifold, intake pipe and MAF pipes are bigger.

It has a deeper rumble and growl to it over the 2.5L. And yes, should be a fun toy!

mujjuman 12-20-2010 02:42 AM

been there done that lol. its not cheap

330i ZHP 12-20-2010 02:59 AM

keep up the project...then sc it

jc179 12-24-2010 11:14 AM

Ah, I'm doing the same, but decided to hold off over the winter, as it got cold out rather ffast. I am doing the 2.5 -> 3.0 swap too. I also picked up a set of the ZHP cams which should make things interesting, in a positive manner, with the different gear ratio (I hope), picked up the drilled nut while I had it all in pieces, etc.

Just waiting for spring now ... Hope your swap goes well!

mujjuman 01-04-2011 12:42 AM

its financial stupid to swap in a B30 when your B25 is working just fine... unless you really have teh money to dump

lllSupra 01-04-2011 12:43 AM

why not just boost the m54b25?

mujjuman 01-04-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lllSupra (Post 12644360)
why not just boost the m54b25?

nice sig. car looks awesome

because people are afraid to boost their xi's for the most part. or maybe their B25's are blown and they need a new engine


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use