E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   2004 330xi Shaking Violently (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=809231)

RobNH 12-07-2010 09:53 AM

2004 330xi Shaking Violently

I have a 2004 330xi with 66,000 miles on it - 6-speed manual. Lately, I've noticed that after the car heats up, it starts to shake violently when you accelerate. You can definitely feel it through the steering wheel.

Take your foot off the gas, or give it just a light amount of gas - it's fine. It's even more noticeable when going up a hill.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Bimmer Dude Xi 12-07-2010 09:58 AM

Have gotten the front end checked out?

RobNH 12-07-2010 10:02 AM

Not yet. I'm going to be making an appointment for it shortly. I'm guessing it's the front cross member bushings because I was told they were starting to show signs of cracking.

GCoop 12-07-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

"Ill take XI drivetrain for $2000 please Alex....."

"When worn and/or deviod of grease these can contribute to a significant shudder on acceleration...."

"What are the inner CV joints?"

"Correct for $2000"
My money is on this. Let us know what they find.

RobNH 12-09-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 12546361)
My money is on this. Let us know what they find.

Front control arm bushings were totally shot. Just got the car back from the shop.

$335.00 to replace the bushings, check the alignment and take it for a 20 mile road test.

Car drives great again.

SamDoe1 12-09-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 12546361)
"Ill take XI drivetrain for $2000 please Alex....."

"When worn and/or deviod of grease these can contribute to a significant shudder on acceleration...."

"What are the inner CV joints?"

"Correct for $2000"

Oh I'm sorry, the judges reviewed the tape and your answer was actually incorrect. We are going to have to deduct $4000 from your score.

bombguy 12-09-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobNH (Post 12557123)
Front control arm bushings were totally shot. Just got the car back from the shop.

$335.00 to replace the bushings, check the alignment and take it for a 20 mile road test.

Car drives great again.

Hmmm. did they check out the inner CV boots like everyone mentioned?

GCoop 12-09-2010 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 12557147)
Oh I'm sorry, the judges reviewed the tape and your answer was actually incorrect. We are going to have to deduct $4000 from your score.

If what was posted is actually true he will be the first XI person to EVER have suffered a vibration/shudder on acceleration that was fixed by CABs........

Either that or the original symptom was not described accurately.

As far as Im concerned the jury is still out. I would like to see a longer sustained period at highway speeds before saying he is out of the woods. Mine and many others symptoms never started to show up until 45 min to an hour at highway speeds. I wonder if the worn CABs possibly magnify the issue.

In any case OP..... Please report back to this post later on to let us know if the CABs were truely the end of it. As I said I have never seen another XI person solve this issue with CABs. It would be nice to know.

RobNH 12-09-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombguy (Post 12557155)

Yep, they checked out the entire driveline and suspension system. Everything was ok, except the front cross member bushings.

RobNH 12-09-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 12557618)
If what was posted is actually true he will be the first XI person to EVER have suffered a vibration/shudder on acceleration that was fixed by CABs........

Either that or the original symptom was not described accurately.

As far as Im concerned the jury is still out. I would like to see a longer sustained period at highway speeds before saying he is out of the woods. Mine and many others symptoms never started to show up until 45 min to an hour at highway speeds. I wonder if the worn CABs possibly magnify the issue.

In any case OP..... Please report back to this post later on to let us know if the CABs were truely the end of it. As I said I have never seen another XI person solve this issue with CABs. It would be nice to know.

I played around with the car tonight and no shudder what so ever. I'll be taking it to work tomorrow and that will be the final test.

RobNH 12-09-2010 08:18 PM

Also.....I can tell you that going over bumps, etc., the front suspension felt loose. Not anymore. The car is tighter than a virgin now. It feels just like the day I bought it from the dealer.

My white xi 12-10-2010 03:47 AM

Nice now you get to loose her up again...in a few 100.000 klm you will have to start again..for now enjoy..

Dreamliner330 12-10-2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombguy (Post 12557155)

Man, my car was shaking violently the other day too...but it was frozen snow in the wheels from the parking lot drifting in the last snowstorm...:pimpin:

When my CV boots started cracking, my mechanic charged me $350 to remove all 4 front boots, clean, new re-boot and grease. Way cheaper than new Axles.
:thumbup:

wdeerfield 12-10-2010 12:19 PM

ive been putting it off too long.. my driver side axle needs to be replaced im afraid.. i also have some leak up front that i cant trace to a source yet. im betting diff or transfer case as i never had a leak until i had my mechanic flush and fill them.. hopefully its just the need for a new fill/drain plug washer as he probably reused the old ones.

could a wheel bearing cause this vibration as well? the car seems to make a noise with the vibration as well. it does however come and go which is weird..

Rickna 12-10-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdeerfield (Post 12560001)
ive been putting it off too long.. my driver side axle needs to be replaced im afraid.. i also have some leak up front that i cant trace to a source yet. im betting diff or transfer case as i never had a leak until i had my mechanic flush and fill them.. hopefully its just the need for a new fill/drain plug washer as he probably reused the old ones.

could a wheel bearing cause this vibration as well? the car seems to make a noise with the vibration as well. it does however come and go which is weird..

The transfer case holds very little oil (Bentley manual says 0.16 qt), if it's leaking don't put it off. Jack up the car and try to rock the suspect wheel, if there is play it's the wheel bearing. I had similar vibration symptoms and it was the FCAB's.

wdeerfield 12-11-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickna (Post 12561002)
The transfer case holds very little oil (Bentley manual says 0.16 qt), if it's leaking don't put it off. Jack up the car and try to rock the suspect wheel, if there is play it's the wheel bearing. I had similar vibration symptoms and it was the FCAB's.

I have an appointment with my indy this week to take care of it all. I dont think its my fcabs as i have powerflex and they look like the day they went in.

mcopenha 12-11-2010 08:37 PM

btw, i just posted a new front axle DIY here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...161&highlight=

Same symptoms as OP, but it was clearly my axles. Boots were torn, grease everywhere.

bdecker 12-13-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobNH (Post 12557123)

Car drives great again.

I did my CV boots at around 100k but our cars are the same age so time may be as much of a factor as mileage. Watch for any sign of grease in your front wheels and if you see it don't delay. The bushing and control arms were done about 10k before the CV boots in my case.

wdeerfield 12-15-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdeerfield (Post 12560001)

turns out i had a seized caliper on the passenger side front...