E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   First install of springs. Does this look right? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=810208)

Phammy Davis 12-12-2010 03:47 AM

First install of springs. Does this look right?

Installed some lowering springs today. Only had time to do the front Passenger. I followed the DIYs on here as well as Bimmerdiy.com. I know the perch is a little off but it was straight until i went for a test drive around the block. Is it ok for it to be off? Also does my spring look straight? I really hope I don't have to take it all apart and start all over. That would suck

*Also the small opening goes on the bottom right? Just making sure cause the lettering for my Megan Springs are upside down. I'm just double checking. WOuldn't want anything to go horribly wrong

Photobucket
Photobucket

Recon2005 12-12-2010 10:47 AM

IMO, structurally I don't think you have an issue but perhaps the spring is upside down and thats why it didn't seat right? Also, the ride height might be off if the driver's side is seated properly. BTW, I had this same issue with the spring twisting out of the perch...I removed and seated the spring properly. Just have a shop do the spring install onto the strut. (I paid $20 for the side I had them do)

Phammy Davis 12-12-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon2005 (Post 12565884)
IMO, structurally I don't think you have an issue but perhaps the spring is upside down and thats why it didn't seat right? Also, the ride height might be off if the driver's side is seated properly. BTW, I had this same issue with the spring twisting out of the perch...I removed and seated the spring properly. Just have a shop do the spring install onto the strut. (I paid $20 for the side I had them do)

I don't think the spring is upside down because the other side doesn't sit on the shock at all. Damn I really don't want to take it all apart again. Anybody else have any insight?

TrickTizzle 12-12-2010 05:57 PM

If the lettering is upside down then obviously the spring is upside down.

jclip 12-12-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickTizzle (Post 12567066)

Not true. I installed Vogtland springs a few days ago, and the lettering was upside down on the coils.

TrickTizzle 12-12-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclip (Post 12567267)
Not true. I installed Vogtland springs a few days ago, and the lettering was upside down on the coils.

hmm...weird...

Phammy Davis 12-12-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickTizzle (Post 12567066)

Yea I've also heard some people say there tein have been upside down as well. So basically it's the side that sits well on the shock? Cause the other side doesn't sit on the shock well at all. I'm 95% sure I installed the right way but just curious if I will have problems with the perch being a little off.

Recon2005 12-12-2010 07:39 PM

Was the spring in the perch and then twisted when you reinstalled the top hat? I don't know if it is possible, but you might be able to re-compress the spring while it is still on the car. Its worth a try and if you can relieve the tension you might be able to twist the spring into the perch.

Sent from my DROID2 using BimmerApp

Phammy Davis 12-12-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon2005 (Post 12567423)
Was the spring in the perch and then twisted when you reinstalled the top hat? I don't know if it is possible, but you might be able to re-compress the spring while it is still on the car. Its worth a try and if you can relieve the tension you might be able to twist the spring into the perch.

No It was seated properly until I took it for a drive around the block

xi_ter 12-12-2010 08:33 PM

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ada/spring.jpg

Recon2005 12-12-2010 08:49 PM

Kinda weird that it twisted with tension on the assembly. This is probably a silly question, but did you torque it down to proper spec.

Phammy Davis 12-12-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 12567611)

Yea I read the topic about it and placed it right there but it moved when I went for a test drive. I noticed the OEM spring on the other side is not sitting right there either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon2005 (Post 12567679)
Kinda weird that it twisted with tension on the assembly. This is probably a silly question, but did you torque it down to proper spec.

Yes I torqued everything properly

Recon2005 12-12-2010 10:11 PM

I would install the other side and not worry about it. The worst thing you'll have to face is a difference in ride height, but to be candid, my ride height varies between both sides and my springs sit in the perch anyway:dunno:.

socalbeast 12-13-2010 12:00 AM

my oem springs are not sitting right either, but i only saw this a few hours ago while i had the car on jack stands. i saw it wasnt sitting flush.

i wonder why this happens

xi_ter 12-13-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalbeast (Post 12568370)
my oem springs are not sitting right either, but i only saw this a few hours ago while i had the car on jack stands. i saw it wasnt sitting flush.

i wonder why this happens

Wheels bounce up and down 1600 times in a mile of driving. As the shocks lose pressure with age/ mileage the movement of the springs gets more exaggerated. After 50,000 the shocks are ending their life and you start to see this shifting over the spring perch.

Phammy Davis 12-14-2010 03:18 AM

SO I finish installing the fronts. Weird thing though. When I try to torque the 21mm bolt on the very top of the shock/hat the spring turns with the bolt and it won't torque. Is that normal?

Recon2005 12-14-2010 08:16 AM

Did you use an allen wrench in conjunction with your socket to tighten down the nut?

Phammy Davis 12-15-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon2005 (Post 12573505)
Did you use an allen wrench in conjunction with your socket to tighten down the nut?

I just tightened them as much as I could when the shock and spring combo were off my car. Then when I installed everything back I tried to tried to tighten it to the correct torque and all it did was move my spring as I turned it. Should I be worried?
Note: I tried tightening it when everything was completely done and my car was sitting normally not jacked up.

I finished installing my rears today and will upload pics tomorrow. Really nice drop with Megan Springs

Edit: Is it Ok for me to have Koni shocks in the rear and Oem in the front?

Recon2005 12-15-2010 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phammy Davis (Post 12577497)
I just tightened them as much as I could when the shock and spring combo were off my car. Then when I installed everything back I tried to tried to tighten it to the correct torque and all it did was move my spring as I turned it. Should I be worried?
Note: I tried tightening it when everything was completely done and my car was sitting normally not jacked up.

I finished installing my rears today and will upload pics tomorrow. Really nice drop with Megan Springs

Edit: Is it Ok for me to have Koni shocks in the rear and Oem in the front?

Unless someone else chimes in, the way I understood how to tighten the nut on the top of the strut assembly was to use a spark plug socket, thread the allen wrench through the opening and then tighten down the nut while holding the allen wrench in place so the assembly would not rotate...IDK, but that's the process I used.

franz 12-15-2010 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xi_ter (Post 12567611)

That is how it was with e30's but it is not the case with e46. The rubber below is not seating properly though, it's notch should line up with the plate. e46 front springs have an oval section that lines up with the profile of the plate.