E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   SMG Warning light on 02 M3 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=812661)

cowbell 12-25-2010 04:43 PM

SMG Warning light on 02 M3

soo i've been gone from my car 3 weeks and after admiring my lights for a little too long last night i killed my battery.. (please don't let that story stop yall from helping :D)

jump started about an hour ago and my smg warning light is on...anyone have any ideas why this would occur? i hear it can be an early indicator of battery/alternator failure?

some help? thanks folks

IFX 12-25-2010 11:30 PM

is it driving ok?

Cazz 12-25-2010 11:40 PM

The light can get triggered at low voltages. If it is driving fine, see if it clears on its own.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Bimmer App

cowbell 12-26-2010 08:04 AM

its driving fine, ill take it for another spin today-thanks guys

EDIT: cleared! thanks!

Jmar 07-22-2012 02:19 AM

I know this is 2 years plus old, but did the light clear on its own? My battery also dies and after jumping it my SMG light (little yellow gear) is on and driving me nuts. Car drives normal, but havnt gone far out of fear of being left stuck.

sakumaxp 07-22-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmar (Post 14591525)
I know this is 2 years plus old, but did the light clear on its own? My battery also dies and after jumping it my SMG light (little yellow gear) is on and driving me nuts. Car drives normal, but havnt gone far out of fear of being left stuck.

its always a good idea to buy a salmon relay and put it in a little baggy and stuff it in your glove compartment, this way if your relay goes out while youre on the road, youre prepared. i have one but i never had to use it yet *knock on wood*

Jmar 07-22-2012 08:46 PM

What are the symptoms of a bad salmon relay? My gear light (number) does not flash, I hear the prime pump when I unlock the doors, which btw always thought and still think that is the fuel pump being my 02' M3 made the same sound and it was a 6 speed. And have no other issues other then the little yellow gear looking light on my dash. Again,this first happened after having my battery die on me. As far as I know there's no such thing as a relay " on it's way out", it's either good or bad, like a fuse it can only be good or blown, no in between...... Please advise, thanks guys!

sakumaxp 07-23-2012 01:18 PM

some things a bad relay can do are damage other parts that are more expensive to fix, instead of payin 20 bucks for a relay you might have to pay 100 times that amount, now im not sure but if i remember correctly i read something about having a bad relay can send false electrical signals and cause the pump to fail or something along the lines of that, dont quote me on that one though.