E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Spacer made my suspension soften (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815213)

ajai 01-08-2011 12:56 AM

Spacer made my suspension soften

I am on eibech pro springs, and stock sport shocks. I amrunning 18 rims. I install spacer yesterday the car is more comfortable. But it's really bouncy and my car scrape on bouncy road. That's so annoying. Will this also affect my cornering ? If so do I need new shocks? Before they were install the car is stiff

Recon2005 01-08-2011 03:23 PM

Spacers shouldn't affect your suspension; are you sure the "scrape" you are hearing isn't your tire against the fender?

hamadyr 01-08-2011 04:12 PM

I second that motion.

With Eibach Pro, the "scrape" you are hearing is the tire rubbing on the fender. Most probably, rear fender.

Spacer will affect "twitchiness" of the car and amplify imperfections be in the suspension on the road. This because by adding the spacer, you are decreasing offset of the wheel and thereby altering the "scrub radius" of the suspension, affecting its response frequency.

Take those sapecrs out my friend, you are only accelerating wear on your suspension and bearings. Spend the money on new shocks instead ...

ajai 01-08-2011 11:40 PM

So there is no point for me to get new shocks? I check the tires doesn't seems to be scrape , and when I push hard on the car the fender don't touch the tires too. Let's have some detail for u guys. I am on 18x8.5 et45 20mm spacer. Camber -2.00, changing camber will make it not good to drive in highways so I don't want that.

Recon2005 01-09-2011 08:43 AM

Run some blue painter's tape (or something comparable) on the inside lip of your fenders...if your tires are rubbing, the tape will be marred. You are probably not going to manually compress the suspension while the car is still to the point that it rubs.

ajai 01-09-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recon2005 (Post 12665770)
Run some blue painter's tape (or something comparable) on the inside lip of your fenders...if your tires are rubbing, the tape will be marred. You are probably not going to manually compress the suspension while the car is still to the point that it rubs.

That is a great idea! Will try that out today

VMRWheels 01-10-2011 03:23 PM

As it has been mentioned before, a spacer should not affect the shock's dampening at all. Rubbing will happen depending on wheel and tire sizes. It sounds like you're running a fairly aggressive setup with those spacers on, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that any scraping sound you might be hearing is from the tires.

hummer 01-11-2011 11:34 AM

You have stock shocks with lowering springs. How many miles on the OEM shocks? My guess is that you need new sport struts and shocks. But, they won't stop the rubbing problem. How thick are the spacers? Spacers move the wheels further outboutboard and thus increase the lever arm length so to speak of the suspension arm and may result in a softer feel and bounce. Especially if the shocks are weak.