E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Mechanical vs electric puller fans...why..... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=822272)

Mark M 02-10-2011 07:55 AM

Mechanical vs electric puller fans...why.....

Why do automatic XIs have mechanical puller fans bolted to the water pump with an electrical pusher fan in front of the condensor / radiator, but manual transmission XIs have electric puller fans mounted on the rear of the radiator and nothing on the front?

Mine is manual transmission, and the electrical fan system needs replacement. It is a ~$400 dollar part. I'm trying to learn if I can getaway cheaper somehow.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...39&hg=17&fg=05

Thanks.

Kubica 02-10-2011 08:40 AM

Don't complain- it's better that way! You can probably get a used one for about $100 or a new one for about $200.

Mark M 02-10-2011 09:56 AM

Yeah.....Just found a used one from EuroDepot. Having it shipped.

The rebuild of this car is certainly adding up fast.

Got her back from the body shop Tuesday with the following done.
- Frame is now corrected and exact.
- Engine is now moved in correct position (was 1.5 inches rearward)
- Replacement crossmember, steering rack, and control arms / bushings and motor mounts installed.

Then this week in my garage I've done the following so far:
- Replaced driver's airbag
- Replaced driver's seat belt tensioner
- Replaced Battery BST cable
- Installed new radiator, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, belts, and radiator surround brackets.

Yet to do:
- Replace transfer case
- Replace power steering hose
- Alignment with calibration of steering angle sensor (DSC / ABS errors)
- Reset of airbag computer
- Find an affordable decent front bumper in silver

Hoping next week to have it back on the road.

Kubica 02-10-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 12793389)
Yeah.....Just found a used one from EuroDepot. Having it shipped.

The rebuild of this car is certainly adding up fast.

Got her back from the body shop Tuesday with the following done.
- Frame is now corrected and exact.
- Engine is now moved in correct position (was 1.5 inches rearward)
- Replacement crossmember, steering rack, and control arms / bushings and motor mounts installed.

Then this week in my garage I've done the following so far:
- Replaced driver's airbag
- Replaced driver's seat belt tensioner
- Replaced Battery BST cable
- Installed new radiator, water pump, thermostat, tensioners, belts, and radiator surround brackets.

Yet to do:
- Replace transfer case
- Replace power steering hose
- Alignment with calibration of steering angle sensor (DSC / ABS errors)
- Reset of airbag computer
- Find an affordable decent front bumper in silver

Hoping next week to have it back on the road.

Nice.

You know I was thinking . . .my TC has what looks like some weird chunk taken out of it on the bottom. I think it looks that way from the factory though.

Do you have a pic of yours?

kaboo0m 02-10-2011 11:17 AM

its not just specific to XI's its specific to any bimmer with an auto trans. auto trans = auto trans oil cooler

colo330xi 02-10-2011 12:07 PM

MarkM-- You're making quite a bit of progress, congrats:clap:

The whole clutched fan/ electric fan combo is a throwback to older cars (E34/E32, if not older) All cars had a viscous coupled fan on the water pump shaft, and with a/c you'd get a pusher fan in the front for additional cooling. My manual trans e34 525i had a viscous fan, and on a hot day, believe me I was wishing for an all electric system. The drag on the engine is ridiculous, turning a 525 into a 518..

I think they stuck with it on the autos because of the need to cool the trans fluid, and that the additional drag on the engine is much less annoying when you're not shifting yourself.

Mark M 02-10-2011 02:08 PM

Kubica, Your PM box was full.....

I think the lack of a real skid plate around the TC was a poor design over sight by BMW.

With these expensive and low TC's sitting mid section in the car, they are exposed to many possible road hazzards which can chip or crack the soft aluminum housing.

As for mine on the car, it is without a doubt cracked. The mount that contains the bushing has cracked in three places thus separating the metal mounting lobe from the actual TC case.

Looks like it is going to be a fun project to replace this Saturday :/ I'll be sure to keep ya updated on my progress.