E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Turbo Build with ProEFI Pro128 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=823363)

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 11:16 AM

Turbo Build with ProEFI Pro128

I thought you guys might like to see what we have done with my 2005 M3 SMG.

We installed a Gt40 turbo and front mount intercooler
Stock Catback Exhaust
Installed a Pro128 ProEFI computer
Flex fuel Sensor so I can run any mix of pump gas to 100% Ethanol.
Differential wheel speed traction control (all through the factory CAN bus system)
I-Boost 5 boost curve switch controlled through the factory Cruise control buttons when the cruise control isn't active.
Scramble boost through the cruise set button
FIC 1100cc injectors
Fuel Pressure sensor - Monitors fuel pressure and adjusts accordingly (you'll see in the video). Allows for failsafes with loss of pressure.
Exhaust Backpressure sensor
Stock Pump (for now)
Stock Intake manifold
Stock Clutch (for now)
Stock Engine (for now :) )
Stock Ignition

Made 573RWHP at 9psi of boost.

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS9gUg1clWA

02black330ci 02-15-2011 11:19 AM

Very nice set up. I am liking the user end control, definitely helps in troubleshooting issues. Let me beat everyone to it, can you please post a dyno graph for us?

SPDu4ea 02-15-2011 11:25 AM

Congrats. I suppose that means S. = Siebels?

Edit: From the "we've done some things to prevent check engine light" I assume that this too is piggybacked/paralleled with the DME. Do you have complete control of throttle, redline, etc?

Gheybe 02-15-2011 11:32 AM

Wow. Talk about control over your boost.

E46_330i_Stud 02-15-2011 11:44 AM

Very nice. Price wise, how does this kit compare to say an HPF Stage 1 or 2 kit? I love the way the boost is controlled.

Forcefed M3 02-15-2011 11:48 AM

Very cool.

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02black330ci (Post 12811415)
Very nice set up. I am liking the user end control, definitely helps in troubleshooting issues. Let me beat everyone to it, can you please post a dyno graph for us?

Here is a link to the graph. http://www.proefi.com/M3__SMG_.html

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDu4ea (Post 12811436)
Congrats. I suppose that means S. = Siebels?

Edit: From the "we've done some things to prevent check engine light" I assume that this too is piggybacked/paralleled with the DME. Do you have complete control of throttle, redline, etc?

Yes! Siebels

The stock computer remains in the vehicle to keep the rest of the controllers happy. We are in complete control of the ignition/fuel rev limiting, that isn't to say that the stock ecu can't shut the throttle (we haven't seen this yet, but we haven't pushed our test car past 8200rpm's as of yet). We can take control of the ETC if we choose to, but on the SMG, it gets much more involved very quickly. So for now, we haven't found any reason to remove the stock computers control of the ETC. We are looking at writing strategy to take complet control over the SMG trans. I'm not completely happy with how they do their shift strategy, and I think it can be improved upon. This is a long process to get it right, so I can't give a time frame on it. If you have a 6spd car and have found good reason to take over the Throttle, it definately can be done, we do it on the Nissan's and the corvettes.

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud (Post 12811513)
Very nice. Price wise, how does this kit compare to say an HPF Stage 1 or 2 kit? I love the way the boost is controlled.

I don't want to get into trouble with the Admins. This is just a thread to show what I have done so far. ProEFI is developing an Engine controller kit, not a turbo kit, so I don't think it is really comparable.

SPDu4ea 02-15-2011 12:10 PM

Awesome. Do you have a complete list of the things the proEFI controls? Aside from what's been mentioned I'm thinking of Vanos... And does the proEFI affect obd2 emissions-readiness status? Do you have a time frame for release?

PEI330Ci 02-15-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason S. (Post 12811625)
I don't want to get into trouble with the Admins. This is just a thread to show what I have done so far. ProEFI is developing an Engine controller kit, not a turbo kit, so I don't think it is really comparable.

Keep the focus on your car and you'll do just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason S. (Post 12811617)
Yes! Siebels

The stock computer remains in the vehicle to keep the rest of the controllers happy. We are in complete control of the ignition/fuel rev limiting, that isn't to say that the stock ecu can't shut the throttle (we haven't seen this yet, but we haven't pushed our test car past 8200rpm's as of yet). We can take control of the ETC if we choose to, but on the SMG, it gets much more involved very quickly. So for now, we haven't found any reason to remove the stock computers control of the ETC. We are looking at writing strategy to take complet control over the SMG trans. I'm not completely happy with how they do their shift strategy, and I think it can be improved upon. This is a long process to get it right, so I can't give a time frame on it. If you have a 6spd car and have found good reason to take over the Throttle, it definately can be done, we do it on the Nissan's and the corvettes.

I've downloaded the GUI, and right away dug into the transmission screens. Wow! This stuff is really nice. You might be familiar with dedicated gear shift control boxes from Pectel and Motec...but none of them delve into automatic transmission control, just sequentials with air shifting or electric shifting. Very intriguing.

PEI330Ci 02-15-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDu4ea (Post 12811634)
Awesome. Do you have a complete list of the things the proEFI controls? Aside from what's been mentioned I'm thinking of Vanos... And does the proEFI affect obd2 emissions-readiness status? Do you have a time frame for release?

It's pretty comprehensive. I'm seeing stuff in the control menus I haven't seen with Motec for example. It also has a really well written help menu for each screen.

The only question I have right now...because I'm on my netbook....is can we stack multiple setup screens on multiple displays? For example run the boost control screen on one display, and the nitrous screen on another?

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPDu4ea (Post 12811634)

Currently, we have found no reason to control the variable cams, and that is one reason we don't get any lights, so they are related. Yes, it can be done...again we control the v-cam on multiple platforms. But if it aint broke..... :)

Please PM questions about the kit.

Thanks.

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI330Ci (Post 12811724)
It's pretty comprehensive. I'm seeing stuff in the control menus I haven't seen with Motec for example. It also has a really well written help menu for each screen.

The only question I have right now...because I'm on my netbook....is can we stack multiple setup screens on multiple displays? For example run the boost control screen on one display, and the nitrous screen on another?

The software is VERY overhead intensive because it is so graphical. So when you open one screen, it closes the other.

It is very comprehensive. On that dyno run, I started to notice the clutch slipping in the log (you can log clutch slip), so I am in process of tracking down a good clutch to put in, and I will add some fuel pump fix that issue as well. Then I can run straight E85 in the car and turn it up! :)

Anyone got any good clutch recomendations for an SMG at just over 800WHP? :)

PEI330Ci 02-15-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason S. (Post 12811797)
The software is VERY overhead intensive because it is so graphical. So when you open one screen, it closes the other.

It is very comprehensive. On that dyno run, I started to notice the clutch slipping in the log (you can log clutch slip), so I am in process of tracking down a good clutch to put in, and I will add some fuel pump fix that issue as well. Then I can run straight E85 in the car and turn it up! :)

Yeah, I noticed it's pretty heavy on the graphics...and that's not a complaint. I've worked with a lot of GUIs, and this one is really nice.

Only thing so far I don't like is that you can't assign load (For example pick TPS instead of MAP) on maps. And also you can't re-label inputs...or at least I can't seem to figure that out. If you want to run 12 pressure sensor inputs, can you assign names to those?

Sorry to be so focused on the GUI....but it's really nice.

cnotesdip 02-15-2011 02:24 PM

how reliable is this set up? any safe guards ??? is it dummy proof???? I mean sure the hpf kits are expensive but its very reliable and its basically dummy proof i haven't heard of any hpf kit owner with a damage engine due to a bad tune...

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI330Ci (Post 12811865)
Yeah, I noticed it's pretty heavy on the graphics...and that's not a complaint. I've worked with a lot of GUIs, and this one is really nice.

Only thing so far I don't like is that you can't assign load (For example pick TPS instead of MAP) on maps. And also you can't re-label inputs...or at least I can't seem to figure that out. If you want to run 12 pressure sensor inputs, can you assign names to those?

Sorry to be so focused on the GUI....but it's really nice.

If you set it up to be from TPS or ALpha N (which is how I run my car) You just scale the 'Y' axis for 0 to 100% Throttle.

supersickbimmer 02-15-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason S. (Post 12811797)

Try the HPF clutches. Only ones to handle 800rwhp. Drivability is great too.

Great job BTW. Can't wait to see more.:thumbup:

Jason@proefi 02-15-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnotesdip (Post 12812181)
how reliable is this set up? any safe guards ??? is it dummy proof???? I mean sure the hpf kits are expensive but its very reliable and its basically dummy proof i haven't heard of any hpf kit owner with a damage engine due to a bad tune...

Here are the failsafes I have on my M3.

Overboost - Drop to base boost, and engage a limiter

Fuel pressure variance - This will detect any fuel system problem, then Drop to base boost, and trigger warning light (which we just need to install).

Injector max duty reached - drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light.

Lean condition under power - drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light.

Low Oil pressure - Drop to base boost, activate limiter, and trigger warning light.

Low Ethanol Content - Limit boost to safe pump fuel level, and trigger warning light.

Overtemp condition - Drop to base boost, and trigger Warning light

Radiator Pressure - If the cooling system exceeds 'x' value drop boost, and trigger a light.

True Knock control - This is frequency and window based (like the stock ecu).

Differential Wheel Speed - Programmed allowed slip against non driven wheel speed. This allows me to launch the car under power, but control the slip for maximum acceleration.

There is more in there, but this gives you a pretty good idea on the safety features.

darkapollo 02-15-2011 03:05 PM

Wow! very impressive!