E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Braking (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Rear Camber (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=823542)

mikehundreds 02-16-2011 01:02 AM

Rear Camber

Hey guys, just was wondering how much negative camber can i run in the rear with stock arms? i know ill need plates for the front, but what about the rear?

thanks mike

LivesNearCostco 02-16-2011 01:45 AM

The conventional wisdom I've been hearing on bf.c is that you can get up to about -1.9 or -2.0 degrees per wheel using the stock arms, and that is enough for most track and AutoX drivers. The limit in the front without camber plates is usually somewhere between -0.8 and -1.6 degrees (mine maxed out at about -1.3 per side in front).

Occasionally a hard-core autocrosser running -3.5 degrees in front wants -2.5 in the back, or they want to adjust camber easily for different tires and track conditions, so they get the adjustable rear control arms. If you lower the car a lot, you might need after market control arms to reduce the negative camber.

mikehundreds 02-16-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco (Post 12814995)
The conventional wisdom I've been hearing on bf.c is that you can get up to about -1.9 or -2.0 degrees per wheel using the stock arms, and that is enough for most track and AutoX drivers. The limit in the front without camber plates is usually somewhere between -0.8 and -1.6 degrees (mine maxed out at about -1.3 per side in front).

Occasionally a hard-core autocrosser running -3.5 degrees in front wants -2.5 in the back, or they want to adjust camber easily for different tires and track conditions, so they get the adjustable rear control arms. If you lower the car a lot, you might need after market control arms to reduce the negative camber.

Thanks for all the info!! how do you adjust the front tho? i thought you needed plates to do anything in the front?

ECSTuning 02-16-2011 03:43 PM

If your looking to get the most out of your suspension consider upgrading rear adjustable control arms...

Click HERE for more information.
http://c1552172.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...91786_x600.jpg

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Minnoe07 02-16-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco (Post 12814995)

Pretty much right on the head.

If you remove any of the 3 nuts on the strut tower, you will see that the holes are slotted. Through those slots, you can adjust camber in the front.

LivesNearCostco 02-16-2011 05:18 PM

The front strut mount holes are slotted, allowing for about 0.5 degrees of adjustment if you knock out the alignment pins with a roll punch. (I used a nail set.) Then loosen the 3 strut mount nuts and slide the top of the strut. If you were at -0.8 degrees, maybe you can go between -0.5 and -1.1. Any more than that and you need camber plates. You may have to raise the car front (to unweight the wheels) to do this, and I found it easier to do if you remove the front wheels.

ECS Joe also sells UUC front camber plates that should let you get to at least -2.5 degrees of front camber. Vorshlag or Ground Control camber plates get to -3.5 degrees (or more) but cost more. I do buy stuff from ECS Tuning and UUC, but have never tired their camber adjustment products.

(Joe, how do you manage to be in every one of these threads? How many forums do you cover? Is there more than one of you? :hmm:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehundreds (Post 12815849)
Thanks for all the info!! how do you adjust the front tho? i thought you needed plates to do anything in the front?

mikehundreds 02-18-2011 10:53 PM

thanks for all the help guys!