E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   E46 Xi Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   DIY Oil Change, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Power Steering Fluid (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=824663)

silentguy 02-21-2011 01:17 PM

DIY Oil Change, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Power Steering Fluid

I just did my own

DIY Oil Change, Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Power Steering (ATF).

Things went pretty well.

Though I was not aware that you have to remove 2 splash guards to get to the drain plug.

Not hard at all.

I also had to replace Parking Light, which took me a while to figure out how to remove the light assembley, and then the bulb.
Its a screw, that is in a basket looking plastic thing.
I couldn't find the instructions in the Bentley BMW book, had to figure this out myself.
Maybe I missed the DIY guide here.

It scared me when the car symbol with a red light came on, but then I realized it meant a light was out.

bnigam 02-21-2011 03:19 PM

Nice job! I am looking to do my first DIY oil change this weekend. I looked under the car and couldn't find a drain plug. I guess these cars have shields on them that have to be removed to get to it?!
The lights are kind of a pain. I just switched my OEM to clear tail and corner lights. The tails were totally overengineered and were a pain. Once I got going and figured it out was not so bad!:clap:
I also dorked around with pulling out the headlights and that was a bear to remove. I guess the cold weather package makes it alot harder than it could be. I lost a couple of the hard to get to screw in the car during the process! I had a hard time installing the bulbs since I put them on wrong. .

Anyway,I'd like to hit the brakes, Man trans fluid, and power steering also but am a little nervous.

silentguy 02-21-2011 04:12 PM

Yes, 2 splash shields have to be removed to get to the drain plug.

I recommend a power drill to make getting those off faster.

I'd agree the headlights are a pain.

I though I had to get them off to do the parking light, but I didn't.

With the headlight washers I still wasnt able to figure out how to get the assembly off.

For the driver side headlight , you definitely have to take the Air Filter Housing off, as there is not much space to get to the connectors.

I lost 2 driver bits in the housing, and had to use a magnet and stick to get them out, as I didnt want to remove the splash shields again ...

My next fluid change will be the Differentials, and Manual transmission,
which doesnt look too hard either.

Kubica 02-21-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentguy (Post 12835203)

Yes, 2 splash shields have to be removed to get to the drain plug.

I recommend a power drill to make getting those off faster.

Hehe.

What the hell would you power drill? Hehe.

silentguy 02-21-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 12835307)
Hehe.

Yeah, maybe not using correct terminology.

How about battery powered drill/screwdriver with a phillips bit.

It just saves time, unless you like using elbow grease....

Kubica 02-21-2011 08:07 PM

All the screws only need about 3/4 turn to tighten. Power tool might be bulky under there. The plastic rivets up front are the hardest part.

anhtu402 02-22-2011 04:59 AM

I'm planning to do all fluid maintenance on my 2002 325 XI.

These are my fluid plans, what are yours?

Transmission Oil : Redline MTL (70W80)
Transfer Xase: Redline MTL (70W80)
Differentials (front/rear): Redline 75W-90
Power Steering: ATF DIII
Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5w-30

Supposedly OEM Tranny/Differential fluid is Pentosin 75w-80 (http://www.autohausaz.com)

What do you think?

I went out to the dealership to see if I could get the OEM fluids, they said I would have to buy them in a bulk, when asked how much, they were unable to answer me. The local dealership is currently pissing me off, as I ordered some parts, pre-paid, then came and pick it up, they were unable to locate them.

Rickna 02-22-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 12835307)
Hehe.

Yeah, really. They're 1/4 turn screws-or they should be.

GCoop 02-22-2011 10:32 AM

Im still stuck trying to figure out the second splash guard thing........

Rickna 02-22-2011 11:22 AM

There are 4 or 5 1/4 turn screws, then just pull down on the splash guard.

GCoop 02-22-2011 01:38 PM

Maybe its just me... I only need to remove 1-One-Eins-Uno-Un splash guard to access the oil drain.

SamDoe1 02-22-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 12838877)
Maybe its just me... I only need to remove 1-One-Eins-Uno-Un splash guard to access the oil drain.

Second meaning it's the second one back from the front of the car. You only need to remove one guard to get at the plug.

Or zero with an oil extractor. :thumbsup:

Kubica 02-22-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 12838890)
Second meaning it's the second one back from the front of the car. You only need to remove one guard to get at the plug.

Nope, there are three shields. The front two need to be removed to do an oil change. Actually, the front one could in theory stay put.

Kubica 02-22-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhtu402 (Post 12837698)

Transmission Oil : Redline D4 ATF
Transfer Xase: Redline D4 ATF
Differentials (front/rear): Redline 75W-90
Power Steering: Redline D4 ATF
Engine Oil: German Castrol 0w-30, BMW, or Mobil 1 5w-40

Fixed for you.

SamDoe1 02-22-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubica (Post 12839000)
Nope, there are three shields. The front two need to be removed to do an oil change. Actually, the front one could in theory stay put.

The front one has always stayed in place for me. And yes there are three, but what does that have to do with what I said?

Also, you might want to fix your fix to say 0w40 and not 5w40...

GCoop 02-22-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

I dont think anyone said "Second". The OP as well as others said you had to remove 2 to get to the Oil drain plug. Everyone was refering to the number of guards not position. I was questioning why 2 had to be removed for an oil change because the only time the front most guard has ever had to come off was when I flushed the coolant and the rear most is nowhere near the drain.

silentguy 02-22-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCoop (Post 12839404)
I dont think anyone said "Second". The OP as well as others said you had to remove 2 to get to the Oil drain plug. Everyone was refering to the number of guards not position. I was questioning why 2 had to be removed for an oil change because the only time the front most guard has ever had to come off was when I flushed the coolant and the rear most is nowhere near the drain.

On my 330 xi, the drain plug is under the 2nd from the front splash guard.

However I couldnt only get this 2nd splash guard off, without taking the 1st Front splash guard off, as they shared some screws.

It's possible that my splash guard was replaced, as the original owner told me he got a new one.

silentguy 02-22-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentguy (Post 12839690)
On my 330 xi, the drain plug is under the 2nd from the front splash guard.

However I couldnt only get this 2nd splash guard off, without taking the 1st Front splash guard off, as they shared some screws.

It's possible that my splash guard was replaced, as the original owner told me he got a new one.

Actually, I could have left the platic clips in on the front 1st splash guard,
and just removed the common screws to the 2nd splash guard.

I didn't know that at the time though ...

So yes, you should be able to only remove the 2nd splash guard.

Juvat76 02-23-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

+1 on the oil extractor. I bought one from Tractor Supply Co and it worked very well. Will never have to use that drain plug again. :thumbsup:

Kubica 02-23-2011 09:16 AM

I suggest you remove all three shields when you change your oil- change the TC fluid first, and while the engine oil's draining have a good look around underneath with a flashlight.