E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   For those of you that have Top Speed Exhaust or thinking of getting. Must Read!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=826101)

urban customs 02-27-2011 02:52 PM

For those of you that have Top Speed Exhaust or thinking of getting. Must Read!!!
 
So I was thinking of getting the Top Speed Race Muffler and did some research. Noticed some discrepancies betweeen some of the models that have been for sale and floating around. I'm probably going to jump on the first link. One day sale ends today and its a great price. Just want to wait for some input.

Exhibit A. The Actual Top Speed Muffler

Notice in the following picture it has the top speed badge and the brackets have holes in them. (Price $413-$459)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../topspeed1.jpg

Exhibit B... Another Claimed Top Speed Muffler that looks 90% similar but even cheaper in price

Notice in this picture, different bracket and titanium tips. These other versions come both titanium tip and non titanium. BUT most important. (Price $300-$400) Didnt see a Top Speed badge but not sure if it is on the bottom or not there at all

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Topspeed2.jpg

Exhibit C Another Top Speed Similar Version Non Titanium

Different Bracket. Didnt see a Top Speed badge but not sure if it is on the bottom or not there at all
This one even claims to be top speed if you look at the part number in the listing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../topspeed3.jpg

Members I've noticed that actually have the Top Speed Exhaust with badging and proper brackets welded were:

MarqE46 (vegas crusing videos)

Member DavidFSU seemed to have recieved the second one with different welds.

Now I noticed some members had fitment issues and whistle noise. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this and see if they are the second exhaust versions of the Top Speed. They look very similar. Those different brackets could be causing the bad fitment and the whistling could be from a leak. What strikes me as odd is also that Exhaust A and Exhaust C look like they are resting on the exact same tile floor but they are infact different. I am not sure if this is the seller being smart to try to trick people to assume its the same exhaust as the other listing. And the picture from Exhaust A (the original) is the EXACT same picture on the topspeedauto.com website. And they claimed its the exact same exhaust.

I tend to do my research for anything before I buy in depth. I hope this helps everyone, I am not saying whoever bought the second version got screwed. I just want to help straighten out the misconceptions. Let's get some input.

I noticed MarqE46 never mentioned any fitment issues, so hopefully he can give some input to start us off since we know he has the original.

braymond141 02-27-2011 02:59 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../topspeed1.jpg

This is the one I have that sounds like a$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZetFqnzliRs

braymond141 02-27-2011 03:01 PM

I have a feeling it may be something in the Y split at the tips that's causing the whistle noise. I sort of want to hack that off and find out.

egk2 02-28-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braymond141 (Post 12861454)
I have a feeling it may be something in the Y split at the tips that's causing the whistle noise. I sort of want to hack that off and find out.

Anyone else getting the whistle tip noise that you know of?

bimmerfan08 02-28-2011 11:17 AM

Who else has this exhaust that can chime in?

braymond141 02-28-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egk2 (Post 12864293)
Anyone else getting the whistle tip noise that you know of?

Both my cousin and I ran this exhaust. We both had the whistle noise, so I can tell you for certain it is an exhaust issue, not car.

I really think it's a manufacturing fault in the Y tips. Thats the only place that has a sharp enough edge to create a whistle.

I cant get them hacked off now, cousin sold it. Oh well.

egk2 02-28-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braymond141 (Post 12864539)
Both my cousin and I ran this exhaust. We both had the whistle noise, so I can tell you for certain it is an exhaust issue, not car.

I really think it's a manufacturing fault in the Y tips. Thats the only place that has a sharp enough edge to create a whistle.

I cant get them hacked off now, cousin sold it. Oh well.

Think I will hold off and find a used muffler, not into the whole whistle tip thang. It has to be the y at the tips but do gruppe m mufflers have this problem?

known1 02-28-2011 03:49 PM

Mine never whistled, i have the topspeed exhaust.

egk2 02-28-2011 10:56 PM

known1, what version do you have and what vendor?

pmoneyblass 03-01-2011 04:03 PM

Mine sounded great..im selling in for 200 never whistle, no fitment issue
http://184.72.239.143/mu/483bbd1b-6d0c-d914.jpghttp://184.72.239.143/mu/483bbd1b-6d18-e675.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

2003 bmw m3 03-02-2011 01:42 PM

HEy I bought the first top speed race exhaust and yeah I have that whistle. only minor fitment issue tips are not perfectly straight but oh well. its loud and thats what I wanted. I only get the whistle at redline 8krpm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdFAIndCtX0

Dan1983 03-02-2011 01:55 PM

Bub Rub whistle tips?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOSJ...EFA0606FE70714

blanko 08-15-2012 02:50 PM

I know this thread is old, but it's still worth keeping alive. I too have the whistle tip sound at high rpm. Really lame.. It's from about 6k to redline. The exhaust sounds good otherwise. And anyone who has heard these know that they are reeeally loud. I'm definitely okay with loud cars and even for me it is right on the borderline of being too loud!

I am working with George from top speed to get the whistle resolved. They are willing to pay for a muffler shop to fix it if they can do it without too much trouble/expense. Otherwise, i'm gonna send it back for a refund :(

blanko 08-22-2012 05:19 PM

Good news, mine is fixed. No more whistle whatsoever! Mark from Marco Muffler in Sacramento was able to figure it out and have it fixed in an hour or so. The problem is in the tips. The single pipes that split out into the Y-tips had too small of an inner diameter for the amount of exhaust flowing through it at high RPM.

Thankfully it didn't have to get hacked into pieces to get rid of the whistle. He just used a carbide grinding bit to grind down the lip that was created when welding the tips on. This increased the inner diameter of the each pipe right before the Y split, allowing for better flow of exhaust gas at high RPM. Low and behold the whistle is completely gone.

For those of you who don't have this problem, you guys got lucky and got one that didn't have the little extra bit of restriction in the pipe right before the tips. For those of you that do have this problem, it can be resolved :thumbup:

maliaschwenk 08-22-2012 09:34 PM

I sort of want to hack that off and find out.

eson 12-25-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Good news, mine is fixed. No more whistle whatsoever! Mark from Marco Muffler in Sacramento was able to figure it out and have it fixed in an hour or so. The problem is in the tips. The single pipes that split out into the Y-tips had too small of an inner diameter for the amount of exhaust flowing through it at high RPM.

Thankfully it didn't have to get hacked into pieces to get rid of the whistle. He just used a carbide grinding bit to grind down the lip that was created when welding the tips on. This increased the inner diameter of the each pipe right before the Y split, allowing for better flow of exhaust gas at high RPM. Low and behold the whistle is completely gone.

For those of you who don't have this problem, you guys got lucky and got one that didn't have the little extra bit of restriction in the pipe right before the tips. For those of you that do have this problem, it can be resolved
You've helped lots of people if that does indeed eliminate it.
Can someone else confirm this is the solution??

Ballstowalls 12-25-2012 02:26 AM

I have the 1M exhaust it doesn't do that...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use