E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   ///M3 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   New Solution for the SMG problems (potentially) (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=827839)

mozm3 03-06-2011 07:36 PM

New Solution for the SMG problems (potentially)

Hey everyone

I may have potentially found a new cure to SMG problems. My 2002 LSB M3 (in the sig) was dropping out of gear while driving, and going back in 5 seconds later. I took it to the dealer, and two other shops, and they diagnosed it as the pump. However, I refused to believe that because it was shifting perfectly (when it wasn’t going out of gear), and it was priming just fine. So after A lot of research and reading numerous threads, I came across a few that mentioned the temperature sensor on the SMG unit possibly malfunctioning. However, I did not find anyone who actually attempted a replacement. So, I did. I ordered the part, took it to a local shop, and replaced it. Also, I lost some fluid, so we added some fresh Pentosin, primed the system, and so far, I am 200 miles trouble free. I am continuing to drive it to test this fix, so stay tuned.

The part number is 13-62-1-709-966

Lets refer to this fix as the MOZE fix (my initials) lol.

IFX 03-06-2011 09:16 PM

good for you man.

Thanks for the P/N

How much?

mozm3 03-06-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFX (Post 12890652)
good for you man.

Thanks for the P/N

How much?

It cost me like $45 in parts, and around $270 labor. Im still testing it though, it is not a definite fix yet.

Swish 03-06-2011 10:24 PM

Cool... hope this is your fix... keep us posted!

costac 03-07-2011 04:23 PM

hopefully that's it. keep the thread alive with updates.

IFX 03-07-2011 04:56 PM

how hard is the labor?

Can a person who has basic mechanical knowledge be able to do it?

dcf 03-07-2011 09:23 PM

What do you mean you "lost some fluid?" Transmission fluid or the SMG hydraulic fluid? Are you talking about the temp sensor on the side of the gearbox itself? If so, there is no way changing that out should cause you to loose any hydraulic fluid (the Pentosin CH11 stuff).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mozm3 (Post 12890307)
Hey everyone

I may have potentially found a new cure to SMG problems. My 2002 LSB M3 (in the sig) was dropping out of gear while driving, and going back in 5 seconds later. I took it to the dealer, and two other shops, and they diagnosed it as the pump. However, I refused to believe that because it was shifting perfectly (when it wasn’t going out of gear), and it was priming just fine. So after A lot of research and reading numerous threads, I came across a few that mentioned the temperature sensor on the SMG unit possibly malfunctioning. However, I did not find anyone who actually attempted a replacement. So, I did. I ordered the part, took it to a local shop, and replaced it. Also, I lost some fluid, so we added some fresh Pentosin, primed the system, and so far, I am 200 miles trouble free. I am continuing to drive it to test this fix, so stay tuned.

The part number is 13-62-1-709-966

Lets refer to this fix as the MOZE fix (my initials) lol.

mozm3 03-08-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFX (Post 12893946)
how hard is the labor?

Can a person who has basic mechanical knowledge be able to do it?

Its not that hard, taking off the intake manifold is a PITA though. thats pretty much the entire procedure though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcf (Post 12895071)
What do you mean you "lost some fluid?" Transmission fluid or the SMG hydraulic fluid? Are you talking about the temp sensor on the side of the gearbox itself? If so, there is no way changing that out should cause you to loose any hydraulic fluid (the Pentosin CH11 stuff).

I am actually talking about the temperature sensor that is attached to the hydraulic unit. When you remove the intake manifold, and since the smg reservoir is attached to it, you lose some fluid. Also, when you remove the sensor, some fluid is lost.

chriskuta 03-08-2011 04:09 PM

I have a solution that is bullet proof for ALL SMG problems.

Convert it to a manual...

dcf 03-08-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mozm3 (Post 12897955)
Its not that hard, taking off the intake manifold is a PITA though. thats pretty much the entire procedure though.

I am actually talking about the temperature sensor that is attached to the hydraulic unit. When you remove the intake manifold, and since the smg reservoir is attached to it, you lose some fluid. Also, when you remove the sensor, some fluid is lost.

Gotcha, and yes, that manifold is a HUGE pain to get on and off (I just changed out my entire SMG transmission on my track car, so believe me, I've been there). The best $80 I spent: special pliers from my snap-on guy to put those intake manifold clamps (which BMW calls "exhaust clamps") on and off. Worth every penny!

MachRc 03-08-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskuta (Post 12898354)

It is true but those who cannot drive a manual will not be able to drive their cars for awhile until they convert.

Ive driven a handful of SMGs, and yes, it feels only detached during actual shifting of the locomotive, but at highway speeds and quick spirited canyon blasts, the quickness of the SMG transmission has a special one of a kind syncronized mechanical feel to it.

It doesnt reward yourself the driver as a 6 speed would in aa going into a corner hard, brake in, clutch in, heel action REV downshift left foot out of clutch turn the corner hard and gas out type of change, but it makes techniques like that much easier and very repeatable.

Its easier to consistantly bang into gears everytime before the corner and even mid corner.

Anyways thats how I feel, i drive a 6-speed, but i do hope the guys in the smg find as much quick fixes and cost effective ways to maintain their smgs as it still is a quite awesome system that even a 6speed person can appreciate.

IFX 03-08-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mozm3 (Post 12897955)

thanks bro

0-60motorsports 03-10-2011 04:46 PM

Interesting

bimmer07 03-13-2011 12:11 PM

you sure thats the right part number? etk/realoem shows that part as a temp sensor for the head on older cars

mozm3 03-26-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmer07 (Post 12916993)
you sure thats the right part number? etk/realoem shows that part as a temp sensor for the head on older cars

Yes, this part was used on older cars. However, im getting mixed signals about the fix, so im still in the "testing phase."

dmcalister 04-25-2011 03:42 PM

still mixed signals? did this actually prove to be a fix or just another false sense of hope for us SMG'rs :(

cohiba1223 04-26-2011 09:06 AM

I had the service engine and the SMG light go on about 2 1/2 weeks ago pretty much right after I bought the car. Changed out the relay and no problems. Then I gave the car to a good year to test the shocks/struts and I saw the guy playing with the shifter back and forth for about 10 mins before I said are you sure you know what you're doing. Sure enough I had the SMG light and service engine come back on. Now the car won't stay shift, but if I shut it down and let it cool, it works again. I'm thinking I may have the temperature sensor issue. Please keep me updated. I replaced the relay again today and will let the car sit for a couple days to clear some codes.

thanks...

mozm3 05-17-2011 10:24 PM

Hey guys, just a quick update. So far so good. no problems yet.

EDIT: By the way i also changed the relay.

bobby_gant 01-18-2013 05:53 AM

Hey whats the update? I am having the same problem!

NICKBRUM 01-18-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskuta (Post 12898354)

Yea OK! I can see doing that with a pump failure perhaps, but not over a 45 dollar part. That conversion is a major undertaking!!!!