E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   BMW Drift Thread (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=827961)

acpstunts 03-07-2011 09:52 AM

BMW Drift Thread
 
I was hoping to get a thread going for those of us interested in drifting. Where we can discuss drift set ups, techniques , events, etc.


With that said, I'm looking to do my first drift event next month, and if all goes well, I think an LSD upgrade will be in the near future.

But for now any tips for a first timer?

Kubica 03-07-2011 01:57 PM

Uhhh . . .LSD first, DK.

FTWeisse 03-07-2011 02:44 PM

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=300

acpstunts 03-07-2011 09:08 PM

Just thought I'd getting something started on here :thumbsup:

Activ3 03-19-2011 09:44 PM

I've done 3 events so far. Being an HPDE kind of guy it wasn't a huge transition, but it was definitely different. I don't know what type of layout your event will have, but it's going to be hard not to fail with an open diff unless it's very low speed stuff. I'm using a welded 3.46 and it's been working very well so far.

What suspension setup are you running? Lower and stiffer is better, especially for that open diff. Since you can't power over or clutch kick it to initiate the slide, you're going to have to carry a lot of speed on entry and you'll have to flick it to get the rear end out with momentum. If you have absolutely no drift experience I'd suggest you start slow and get used to how the car feels sideways for extended periods of time.

FTWeisse 03-20-2011 05:37 PM

^You welded your diff? Driving that thing on the daily must be a bitch!

Activ3 03-20-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTWeisse (Post 12947096)
^You welded your diff? Driving that thing on the daily must be a bitch!

Yeah dude, it kind of sucks in parking lots. Everyone stares at me while the car hops around corners lol It's so worth it though. I can't afford to do a lot of the DE's I want to, but a full day of drifting is only $40.

I didn't weld mine, I traded a used PS pump to a local for his welded 3.46.

SalM 03-20-2011 06:21 PM

Activ3 I love your car man.

Activ3 03-20-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalM (Post 12947243)
Activ3 I love your car man.

:luv: I like yours a lot too, reminds me of my car before I beat the **** out of it lol

SalM 03-20-2011 06:34 PM

:rofl: Hahah Thanks man. Even with the beating she looks great. What did you do with your headlights in your sig? You just painted the bowls and the shrouds?

Activ3 03-20-2011 06:40 PM

Yeah two years ago on the way home from 4ngiefest in Atlanta we stopped at the Summit Racing store and I got some "gold anodized look" spray made by VHT. Everyone always just sprayed the bowls, but I went for the shrouds as well to try and get that e30 look lol

SalM 03-20-2011 06:53 PM

Lol Looks reall good man!

acpstunts 03-20-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Activ3 (Post 12944890)
I've done 3 events so far. Being an HPDE kind of guy it wasn't a huge transition, but it was definitely different. I don't know what type of layout your event will have, but it's going to be hard not to fail with an open diff unless it's very low speed stuff. I'm using a welded 3.46 and it's been working very well so far.

What suspension setup are you running? Lower and stiffer is better, especially for that open diff. Since you can't power over or clutch kick it to initiate the slide, you're going to have to carry a lot of speed on entry and you'll have to flick it to get the rear end out with momentum. If you have absolutely no drift experience I'd suggest you start slow and get used to how the car feels sideways for extended periods of time.

So over the past weeks Ive been doing my research. I spoke too Ray at Kaaz LSD's and will be ordering a 1.5way kaaz along with a 3.46 diff.

As far as my suspension setup goes now Im running BC coils/camber plates (8kg/10kg), all new front control arms w/ melye bushing, Velocity rear adjustable control arms. Im ordering hotchks Sways this week as well:thumbsup:

Now do you currently have your subframe reinforced? Im a little worried about that and considering getting the turner reinforcement kit.

Activ3 03-21-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acpstunts (Post 12948187)
So over the past weeks Ive been doing my research. I spoke too Ray at Kaaz LSD's and will be ordering a 1.5way kaaz along with a 3.46 diff.

As far as my suspension setup goes now Im running BC coils/camber plates (8kg/10kg), all new front control arms w/ melye bushing, Velocity rear adjustable control arms. Im ordering hotchks Sways this week as well:thumbsup:

Now do you currently have your subframe reinforced? Im a little worried about that and considering getting the turner reinforcement kit.

Yeah you definitely need to get that TMS kit. I'd be surprised if you made it through an event without tearing the subframe out. Good call on the LSD!

acpstunts 03-21-2011 03:35 PM

Do you have the subframe reinforcement kit? How much did it run you for the install?

Activ3 03-23-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acpstunts (Post 12950834)
Do you have the subframe reinforcement kit? How much did it run you for the install?

I do have a custom reinforcement kit that was done by AA a long time ago. It's not the same as the modern TMS kits so it was a bit more expensive. The shop I work with now does the TMS kit with install and powerflex subframe/rtab bushings for $1200.

nocab72 03-30-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acpstunts (Post 12948187)
So over the past weeks Ive been doing my research. I spoke too Ray at Kaaz LSD's and will be ordering a 1.5way kaaz along with a 3.46 diff.

As far as my suspension setup goes now Im running BC coils/camber plates (8kg/10kg), all new front control arms w/ melye bushing, Velocity rear adjustable control arms. Im ordering hotchks Sways this week as well:thumbsup:

Now do you currently have your subframe reinforced? Im a little worried about that and considering getting the turner reinforcement kit.

Consider getting the subframe kit welded in at the same time the diff goes in, it will save you a lot of labor.

Kyle

acpstunts 04-02-2011 09:21 AM

Yea thats the plan!

jstrobs21 04-04-2011 12:33 AM

Mmmmm.... I like this thread! Fellow drifter here.. Just swapped diffs recently. Put a welded 3.38 in so I wouldn't have to mess with the input shaft.. (6-bolt 330i, ugh) So far so good. driven plenty of welded diffs before so it really doesn't bother me. Like Activ3 said, it's really only noticible in parking lots. I'm from TN, anyone other drifters on here in or around TN? If so I'll send over my drift organization's schedule!! We're a real fun laid-back group. I'm pretty new to this forum and BMW's in general, so I'm looking forward to some nice info-sharing.

acpstunts 04-04-2011 10:30 AM

Nice! Welcome


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use