E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My 330ci is being very weird (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=829296)

shahbaz99 03-12-2011 08:48 PM

My 330ci is being very weird

When my car sits for awhile and i get in and drive its ok. But after 5 min, the fog light and door open part of the cluster turns off. my signals work but it doesnt show up on the cluster when im signaling. the doors just lock themselves. the deck says "disabled". and then when i stop and get out, my remote wont lock or unlock the doors. eventually it locks but when it finally works, the lights dont flash anymore. does anybody have any idea what this could be?

Bordia 03-12-2011 10:08 PM

Sounds like it could be a network problem or more. I would take it to a dealership for diagnosis.

shahbaz99 03-13-2011 12:59 AM

Well its gotten even worse. The signals dont work at all anymore. The headlights are just on all the time once key is put in. The headlight switch does nothing and all the dash lights inside are completely off. Call has lost %70 of functionality in 2 days! Wtf is going on with this stupid car?

peytonracer4 03-13-2011 01:03 AM

did you try unplugging your battery for like 30 minutes to see if that helped? supposedly that "resets" the computer

Bavaryan 03-13-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peytonracer4 (Post 12916302)
did you try unplugging your battery for like 30 minutes to see if that helped? supposedly that "resets" the computer

+1

My old audi did similar stupid #*#*. Whenever I floored the car, the guages would all drop to zero, trip meter would reset, and clock would reset(super annoying). And, on rare occasions, all dash lights would stay on(and I do mean all, every single light bulb in the vehicle), and the guages would all slooowly start to creep up until they all pegged themselves. For this latter problem, the ONLY way to get the car back "right" again, was to unplug the battery for 30 minutes. I hated this problem....lol

edit: other than that, it sounds like a body ecu(if these cars are so equipped). I know on sienna's and sequoias when they start doing this stupid crap its almost always the body ecu(controls lights, locks, windows etc). There should be a way for a dealer or indy to pull codes out of the system.

Black_BMW 03-13-2011 07:39 AM

Yes your best bet and first aid is to unplug your battery and see if it helps. If it doesn't then there must be a short somewhere in your system..

garmcqui 03-13-2011 12:37 PM

Possibly a fault with the LCM? But I suppose ghat wouldn't explain the not locking etc.

Code reading is probably the only answer...

Sankekur 03-13-2011 02:01 PM

I am also thinking a possible problem with the LCM, but having the codes read would probably yield more info.

dmax 03-13-2011 02:39 PM

My random guess is check fuses and check battery. I didn't read that you tested the battery...the first place you start, imho, for anything electric.

Disconnecting is a good start and measure voltage off and on and report back...it may be you just need a long drive to charge up a very low battery, which might be real low for a long time and because of that, the alternator is getting tired also...start with electrical basics and work up and out from there.

ramtin325i 03-13-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_BMW (Post 12916591)
Yes your best bet and first aid is to unplug your battery and see if it helps. If it doesn't then there must be a short somewhere in your system..

Best answer of all

shahbaz99 03-15-2011 12:31 AM

Thanks for the replies. Ive already tried unplugging the battery. Didnt work. The weather today was nice and the car was fine the whole day. It seems to get worse if its wet or cold. I got my car tinted a few weeks ago and the guy said that he had to remove weather stripping. Could they have not been put back correctly and cause a short somewhere? I will also check all my fuses. My battery also still says bmw on it, it might be the original battery for 10 years now.

shahbaz99 03-15-2011 12:34 AM

Btw. Interior lights and headlights work correctly again. Its just the original problems that keep coming and going.

Bordia 03-16-2011 12:05 AM

Same answer as before take it to a dealer to be diagnosed. Any thing from
That is just throughing money and time at guesses.

TxTorqueMade 03-16-2011 12:41 AM

Get a battery cheapass....LOL

Andy2108 03-16-2011 01:19 AM

battery production date (week / year) will be on the negative terminal.

Check your battery voltage. Could also be your alt or vreg.

shahbaz99 03-16-2011 01:46 AM

today the car was fine all day. it just wont lock or unlock with the remote. i will check every single fuse, check my relay box for moisture, check the production date of my battery, and finally take it to rmp for diagnostics. European cars are soo wicked yet at the same time they SUCK! Worst part is that im gonna keep buying them, they're just too damn nice.

HakenTT 03-16-2011 02:09 AM

E46 and newer beemers all have these electronic problems.

mujjuman 03-16-2011 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxTorqueMade (Post 12928836)
Get a battery cheapass....LOL

need new battery

shahbaz99 10-05-2012 08:54 PM

I just wanted to clarify what the issue was. A few weeks after my last post, i realized that when I put in the new battery in my key, it was the wrong kind and not rechargeable either. I guess the car was having issues reading the key and it thought it was being stolen with a fake key. thats why it was acting weird. I put in the correct battery in my key (Panasonic VL2020) and have never had this issue since. I guess the car was doing its job and I was the issue LOL.

FastCHAZ 10-06-2012 03:07 AM

mean while im still having this problem after an alternator change. i purchased a batter just last september everythings reading perfectly just my clusters trippin out it works toatally fine. i can hwever see my blinkers. but y foglights work but not the green light. or the headlights. my mileage works but the trip resets itself everytime i start it. i cannot see the clock, or mpg or any of that stuff. my gas, mph, rpm, temp works normally. sept the stay where they are when i turn off the car. wheni start it the siez 1t then go up 2 seconds later what could it be?