Any DIY for changing brake lines
I really not wanted to start a new thead but I
Can not find compleate DIY for changing brake lines.
I did brake flush with pressure bleeder earlier with no problem but I have to change rubber lines. I need to know which side to disconnect first and put the new one on, and to do it correct way. Do they have to be twisted or there is a coupler that turns on when you put them?
Please someone who has changed them explain me how to
Edit: The DIY is for an M3, but it should be similar enough.
Thanks for asking the question and thanks to all that respond. I was looking all around for DIY for this before I asked.
Anybody who has done this know which size flare wrenches are needed? I've seen 11mm, 14mm, and 17mm...
Ok so I did this job last night and can pass on a few words of wisdom for the next who hopefully searches and finds this. :pimpin:
Use PB Blaster, great stuff
The order to remove:
-Remove middle attachment (bracket for rear and rubber grommet for fronts
-Break loose the connection at the caliper but don't unscrew (you can't anyways as the whole hose turns with this fitting)
-Break loose and unscrew the connection at the car side hard line
-Once hose is disconnected at this end you'll get a slow drip of fluid out so have catch pan ready
-Turn whole hose to unscrew connection at caliper
-Install in reverse order
For my 2004 330Ci (a little different from the M3 in the DIYs above):
The caliper side connection required a 14mm flare wrench (felt like a regular crescent might've worked but why risk it )
The hard line from the car was a 11mm flare
The OEM line mating with the hard line was a 17mm square so flare/line wrench wouldn't work but a standard crescent worked fine since it's really just holding it while you unscrew the 11mm flare nut.
My new Bimmerworld V2 lines were 14mm flare on both ends making that easy and fit very well. Front lines were ~3/8" longer than OEM but actually made the routing better with the hoses entering the fitting straight on instead of pulling to the side.
I also used my Motive bleeder (without pressure) on the reservoir to reduce the flow through while the line was off and but still got ~1 drip/sec. Bled it all with the new lines and have a nice firm pedal and fresh fluid. I did this more for the track than anything else and we'll see what the actual improvement is this weekend. :woot:
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.