E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Gun Talk (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Opinions on Kahr..... (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=831659)

BLAU III 03-22-2011 07:01 PM

Opinions on Kahr.....
 
2 Attachment(s)
So my daily carry gun is the Kahr P45 with night sights. I love the slim profile and the light weight. I took it to the range last night and decided there is no need to be a tough guy and carry a .45acp, 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and I could carry more rounds. I went to my local gun store and they offered me a straight trade on a brand new Kahr CW9... Basically the same gun in 9mm without night sights (but has a very easy to obtain rear that I like better) and it has a straight rifled barrel vs the poly something or other type of barrel in my current gun.... what do you guys think?

Really not looking for .45 vs 9mm debate as I've already decided on 9mm. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I like the slim profile of the kahr's

Reedo302 03-22-2011 08:41 PM

I guess I'm not sure what exactly your question is- are you asking if it's a good idea to switch?
I came to the conclusion that I wanted to carry my G27 over my PM9 for the fact that my G27 holds 11rds (10+1) while my PM9 only carries 7rds (6+1). It was my ideology that it made more sense to carry the Glock, because I would have to carry my PM9 and an extra magazine to meet the capacity of just the Glock itself. With reload, when I choose to carry a spare mag, I was at 21rds for the Glock and 14rds or the Kahr (had one 6rd mag and one 7rd mag). 2 G27 mags = 3 PM9 mags. The fact that my G27 was .40S&W and the PM9 was 9mm was not a major consideration. For me it was round count. Given the state of things and the proliferation of active shooter incidents, I'm under the belief that it's better to have more ammunition than bigger bullets. This is especially important if I'm going to be dealing with more than one shooter/threat.

BLAU III 03-22-2011 09:07 PM

Thanks reedo, i thought you would be one of the first to respond. what I was asking if it made sense to trade from the "higher end" model to a lesser grade kahr. I'm not terribly concerned about round count but am now starting to think otherwise. How is the glock 27 to carry. i was worried about the double stack being to fat to carry

GlockMan 03-22-2011 09:23 PM

I have heard very mixed reviews on the quality control.

I have never heard anyone question Glocks quality control.

I carried my G26 in my shorts pocket today because I forgot my revolver. It was fine.

I use a G19 mag in it (15 rounds) and my pinky has a rest. Hard to beat for overall versatility.

JMO.

Reedo302 03-22-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAU III (Post 12956742)
Thanks reedo, i thought you would be one of the first to respond. what I was asking if it made sense to trade from the "higher end" model to a lesser grade kahr. I'm not terribly concerned about round count but am now starting to think otherwise. How is the glock 27 to carry. i was worried about the double stack being to fat to carry

My Kahr PM9 was a lot easier to carry, but the G27 isn't difficult if you do it correctly. It is wider noticeably wider, so your concerns are certainly valid. I use a CrossBreed Super Tuck holster which works exceptionally well.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the CW9 is a lesser model than the P45; it's just more suited towards ease of carry for CCW.

You gain one round, it's .10" narrower, .3" shorter, and is 3oz lighter. The question is whether all of that is worth 1 round.

BLAU III 03-22-2011 09:45 PM

My biggest complaint about my current gun, the p45 is that i can't shoot the damn thing to save my life, literally..... I'm all over the paper and I'm just not comfortable with those results given this is my daily driver. I have a ruger mark II that i compete with and am very accurate with. I'm fine with my rifles and even my 1911. It's this damn gun I can shoot straight...

Glockman, odly enough I was just looking at the G19... It's priced right. My only concern is the size. I'm 6'1" 250lbs, I think I can hide it well but with summer coming up, I was used to the kahr being easy to conceal. Any thoughts?

Reedo302 03-22-2011 10:16 PM

A Kahr is easier to conceal with less clothing. A G19 is going to be a little bit harder to conceal than a G26. If the gun is purely for concealed carry, I would actually encourage going to the G26 (instead of the G19). With the Pearce grip extension, you will have 12rds in the gun. 16rds if you do what Glockman does and use a G19 mag. The extra weight and size does make a difference though. The only reason why I got rid of my Kahr was for personal reasons that I had against Kahr as a company. The PM9 itself was dead-nuts accurate and very reliable (once I got it broken-in).
Try and shoot a CW9 before you buy one. See if your shooting gets any better. There's no use doing the trade if you can't shoot the CW9 either. My personal opinion is that the PM9 is the only Kahr I'd ever want to own, but since you're 6'1", you probably have a lot bigger mitts than me and might require a larger grip.

BLAU III 03-22-2011 10:25 PM

reedo, as always your posts are fantastic. I'll look into the g26. i was trying to avoid any pinky hang... I think i may be leaning towards glock. i've always dismissed them but think they might be a good option this go around.

GlockMan 03-22-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAU III (Post 12956936)
My biggest complaint about my current gun, the p45 is that i can't shoot the damn thing to save my life, literally..... I'm all over the paper and I'm just not comfortable with those results given this is my daily driver. I have a ruger mark II that i compete with and am very accurate with. I'm fine with my rifles and even my 1911. It's this damn gun I can shoot straight...

Glockman, odly enough I was just looking at the G19... It's priced right. My only concern is the size. I'm 6'1" 250lbs, I think I can hide it well but with summer coming up, I was used to the kahr being easy to conceal. Any thoughts?

I carry a S&W Airweight 638 .38+P Revolver in my pocket. That is my daily carry gun. I wear shorts every day.

If I know I am doing something that I might need a little more defense (getting jewelry appraised, going to ATM, etc, I add my G26 or G19 on my side.

I don't like one in the chamber, I know, I know, I just don't. I practice racking the slide from draw to site, but I just don't like it in there. I also don't like safties since a G19 was my first non .22 20 years ago.

So, I ended up with the 638. Its only 5 rounds, but they are big rounds and most battles are 3 rounds at less than 20ft. It is also lighter than anything with its power. I can shoot it through my pocket, its always ready, and I don't worry about it going off easily.

I was NEVER a Revolver person before, but it is a great gun.

JMO.

PS - a G19 sits on my nightstand with a G17 magazine in it.

PPS - I almost bought a Walther PPS. If I did not pocket carry, I probably would have. I am fat, so I hate holsters.

Reedo302 03-22-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAU III (Post 12957108)
reedo, as always your posts are fantastic. I'll look into the g26. i was trying to avoid any pinky hang... I think i may be leaning towards glock. i've always dismissed them but think they might be a good option this go around.

Always glad to lend an opinion; much to my wife's chagrin :D .
I wouldn't discount the CW9. I would just recommend that you get hands-on and shoot one before you make your decision. I have found that often times if a person can't shoot a certain gun well, they likely won't shoot any gun from that manufacturer well if it's the same design. I can't shoot Sigs very well, and that's why I sold my P226 to my brother. I'll never own a Sig again, despite them being nice guns.
However, other times it's just cartridge/caliber related. It could very well be that you just don't do well w/ a .45ACP in a gun with that configuration. A caliber change could solve the issue. You never know until you shoot it.

As for the Glock, if you get the grip extension or use a G19 mag, you won't have the pinky hang issue. Shoot the Glock 26 first and get a feel for it, and determine if you want to shoot a gun that small and short. Definitely not for everybody, but it works exceptionally well for how it's configured, IMO.

I think a lot of it comes down to how you define your own carry philosophy.

TXSunDvl 03-23-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 12957118)
I carry a S&W Airweight 638 .38+P Revolver in my pocket. That is my daily carry gun. I wear shorts every day.

If I know I am doing something that I might need a little more defense (getting jewelry appraised, going to ATM, etc, I add my G26 or G19 on my side.

I don't like one in the chamber, I know, I know, I just don't. I practice racking the slide from draw to site, but I just don't like it in there. I also don't like safties since a G19 was my first non .22 20 years ago.

So, I ended up with the 638. Its only 5 rounds, but they are big rounds and most battles are 3 rounds at less than 20ft. It is also lighter than anything with its power. I can shoot it through my pocket, its always ready, and I don't worry about it going off easily.

I was NEVER a Revolver person before, but it is a great gun.

JMO.

PS - a G19 sits on my nightstand with a G17 magazine in it.

PPS - I almost bought a Walther PPS. If I did not pocket carry, I probably would have. I am fat, so I hate holsters.

You don't carry your 638 in a pocket holster? Most of the time I carry my G19, but when I pocket carry my S&W 642, I use a Mika pocket holster.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ka_holster.jpg

GlockMan 03-23-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXSunDvl (Post 12959105)
You don't carry your 638 in a pocket holster? Most of the time I carry my G19, but when I pocket carry my S&W 642, I use a Mika pocket holster.

Who said I didn't?

TXSunDvl 03-23-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 12959446)
Who said I didn't?

In your earlier post, you said you don't like holsters, plus you said you could shoot through your pocket. Just sounded like no holster in pocket.

GlockMan 03-23-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXSunDvl (Post 12959474)
In your earlier post, you said you don't like holsters, plus you said you could shoot through your pocket. Just sounded like no holster in pocket.

I actually use a soft vinyl pda case (handspring) that works perfectly. :rolleyes:

I can get to the trigger and it encases 2/3s of the gun and changes its pocket impression.

I know it sounds dumb, but it works for me.

TXSunDvl 03-23-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockMan (Post 12959906)
I actually use a soft vinyl pda case (handspring) that works perfectly. :rolleyes:

I can get to the trigger, put the it encases 2/3s of the gun and changes its pocket impression.

I know it sounds dump, but I like it.

Whatever works for you is good. :thumbup:

GlockMan 03-23-2011 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXSunDvl (Post 12959918)
Whatever works for you is good. :thumbup:

I can not type today. geez.

benzfreak 03-25-2011 06:54 PM

i have a Kahr PM9, I love it!

davematuska 03-26-2011 07:46 PM

Blau, I would have to say from your post that you shoot well with everything else you own with the exception of your only firearm with a long double action trigger pull. If you switch to a CW9 you will likely have the same problem. I have a P9 and tend to short stroke the trigger because a shoot GLOCKs more often. If you want something thin you should consider the G36. Its a single stack GLOCK in .45ACP. The market is also full of compact and subcompact 1911s in every caliber you could want (thin and single action). But if you want accuracy, utter reliability, user friendliness, low maint I cannot give the GLOCK any higher of a recommendation. I have a G17 that has had god knows how many rounds through it (made in '92 I have owned it since 2001) and through hundreds of range sessions and countless IDPA and IPSC matches has not had a single failure of any kind.

BLAU III 03-27-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davematuska (Post 12971699)
Blau, I would have to say from your post that you shoot well with everything else you own with the exception of your only firearm with a long double action trigger pull. If you switch to a CW9 you will likely have the same problem. I have a P9 and tend to short stroke the trigger because a shoot GLOCKs more often. If you want something thin you should consider the G36. Its a single stack GLOCK in .45ACP. The market is also full of compact and subcompact 1911s in every caliber you could want (thin and single action). But if you want accuracy, utter reliability, user friendliness, low maint I cannot give the GLOCK any higher of a recommendation. I have a G17 that has had god knows how many rounds through it (made in '92 I have owned it since 2001) and through hundreds of range sessions and countless IDPA and IPSC matches has not had a single failure of any kind.

that is a great point. i never thought about the dao trigger. i have shot glocks before and done well. i'm really leaning towards the glock 19. i like the idea of have more then 7 rounds.... 15 sounds great.

anyone cc the 19? thoughts?

davematuska 03-27-2011 10:07 PM

I dont carry a G19, but I do carry a G26 which is just slightly smaller version of the same gun. I love it and its been 100% reliable. I have an ankle holster from Galco as well as the SkyOps holster from Galco. It tucks away so comfortably that i forget that its there. The SkyOps is actually for the G17 but the 26 fits perfectly. If you shoot well with Glocks and want a 9mm the G19 is a perfect compromise between sight radius, magazine capacity, concealability and grip length.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use