E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   Lighting Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   HID in Fog Lights issue...HELP ME!!! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=832845)

nadeemp8 03-28-2011 01:14 PM

HID in Fog Lights issue...HELP ME!!!

Hey folks,
So I retrofitted a 3000K HID kit into my projector foglights, and am having a weird issue when I turn them on for the first time. When I hit the foglight switch, my high beam indicator on the dash flashes quickly and my driver's side window will lower about .25". This is really weird as it only happens the first time I hit the switch, not if I use the switch repeatedly when the car is on. Any clues??

infinite012 03-28-2011 01:47 PM

Get rid of the cheapo HID kit.

Also, you retrofitted jack ****. It's not a retrofit if you just stick a HID kit bulb into a housing. That's called being unsafe.

Unless you actually DID retrofit a pair of projectors (not those crap ebay ones) into those fog lights. Then you retrofitted something. Sort of.

sillieidiot 03-28-2011 04:42 PM

^ chill man. you're getting way too angry over little things. you've got to remember, people have to start small and make mistakes before they realize it. i'm sure you did something like this at one point or another.

OP, it's because the kit is drawing too much at start up. get a harness and wire it up. then it won't mess up your LCM/LSZ ($500 part brand new)

nadeemp8 03-28-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite012 (Post 12977392)
Get rid of the cheapo HID kit.

Also, you retrofitted jack ****. It's not a retrofit if you just stick a HID kit bulb into a housing. That's called being unsafe.

Unless you actually DID retrofit a pair of projectors (not those crap ebay ones) into those fog lights. Then you retrofitted something. Sort of.

Whoa there buddy, chill out :tsk:

Stop making assumptions, you know nothing about me. I have enough sense not to put an HID kit into a regular reflective housing.

As far as terminology, I may have used it incorrectly, but it has nothing to do with the question I'm asking, so I"ll leave it at that...

nadeemp8 03-28-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillieidiot (Post 12978255)
^ chill man. you're getting way too angry over little things. you've got to remember, people have to start small and make mistakes before they realize it. i'm sure you did something like this at one point or another.

OP, it's because the kit is drawing too much at start up. get a harness and wire it up. then it won't mess up your LCM/LSZ ($500 part brand new)

Hey bud,
Thanks for the response. What kind of harness are you referring to? Is it the harness with a resistor wired in that people use to avoid the headlamp out dash light on HID plug & play kits?

sillieidiot 03-28-2011 04:55 PM

nah, it's just an accessory harness. you wire it to the battery and the trigger is the fogs.

something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

nadeemp8 03-28-2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillieidiot (Post 12978305)
nah, it's just an accessory harness. you wire it to the battery and the trigger is the fogs.

something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

Are you sure the reason is because it is drawing too much voltage? I thought HID kits draw the same amount of power (55w) as halogen bulbs...

Looking at the DDM site it says the harness should be used when:
"Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again."

My lights don't flicker at all and both of them turn on all the time. Also it only does this the first time I turn on the fog lights. If the car remains on I can turn the foglights on and off multiple times without any issues...

I'm curious as it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this issue and there are a ton of people running HIDs in their fogs...

sillieidiot 03-28-2011 05:41 PM

it's drawing too much at INITIAL startup. that's the big problem. and with inferior HID kits, it compounds the problem. not to mention, e46 fog lights are NOT made for HID/xenon applications so the LCM can't deal with the added stress.

i had the same problem, the fl coupes seem to be more sensitive to these types of things. i have a harness as well.

nadeemp8 03-28-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillieidiot (Post 12978465)
it's drawing too much at INITIAL startup. that's the big problem. and with inferior HID kits, it compounds the problem. not to mention, e46 fog lights are NOT made for HID/xenon applications so the LCM can't deal with the added stress.

i had the same problem, the fl coupes seem to be more sensitive to these types of things. i have a harness as well.

Ah, right. on. Thanks for the help, I'll try to pick up the relay harness soon!

infinite012 03-28-2011 06:18 PM

Sorry for sounding like an elitist prick, but my post still stands.

Also, no, I never installed an improper HID kit into headlight housing before. I also haven't yet decided if I want to go through with installing HIDs into my retrofitted fog lights, so... yeah. No HID kits for me. Ever.

sillieidiot 03-28-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite012 (Post 12978594)
Sorry for sounding like an elitist prick, but my post still stands.

Also, no, I never installed an improper HID kit into headlight housing before. I also haven't yet decided if I want to go through with installing HIDs into my retrofitted fog lights, so... yeah. No HID kits for me. Ever.

well it doesn't have to be HIDs, can be with any cheap inferior mod. mines were those crappy xenon interior lights lol but it could be anything from cheap tires to crappy paint lol they just need to feel the regret of doing it the cheap way.

but not having ever used an HID kit, i don't think you would ever understand why one would consider it other than cost. people with little budget only think for the short term, and if it happens to last longer than so be it. you can try to steer them the right way, but you don't have to be an ass about it. other than that, just let them do what they want and guide them to the best of your abilities.

btw not all HID kits are that bad. the hella gen 3 replicas are the most consistent and reliable ones. slims are the worst imo.

infinite012 03-28-2011 07:14 PM

Hah, true. I'll try to tone it down a bit, but it's hard to break old habits.

rkneeshaw 04-04-2011 10:05 AM

I had the same issue, although my window didnt come down on me. I installed a wiring harness to pull power directly from the battery and it helped, but didnt completely cure the issue. Probably 1 out of 5 times my high-beam indicator will still flash when I turn on the HID fogs. But thats better than doing it every time guaranteed like it was before I installed the harness.

sillieidiot 04-05-2011 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkneeshaw (Post 13004501)
I had the same issue, although my window didnt come down on me. I installed a wiring harness to pull power directly from the battery and it helped, but didnt completely cure the issue. Probably 1 out of 5 times my high-beam indicator will still flash when I turn on the HID fogs. But thats better than doing it every time guaranteed like it was before I installed the harness.

if the high beam indicator is still coming on then you wired the harness wrong or there's another underlying problem

Rajput 04-12-2011 09:04 PM

I have similar but not exactly same issue. At the initial turn ON of the lights, even if the car is running my gauge cluster dies for few secs and acts like if the key is just turned ON. Also resets my trip computer and clock goes blank. Then everything back to normal again.

Do you guys think a harness will fix that?

desi-e46 04-12-2011 09:23 PM

:hi: desi people.. I have a similar problem, in my car just the high beam indicator turns on. I'll definately have to install the harness.

Rajput 04-12-2011 09:53 PM

Kidan Desi.. :hi:

nadeemp8 04-14-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajput (Post 13039492)
I have similar but not exactly same issue. At the initial turn ON of the lights, even if the car is running my gauge cluster dies for few secs and acts like if the key is just turned ON. Also resets my trip computer and clock goes blank. Then everything back to normal again.

Do you guys think a harness will fix that?

Sounds like a harness is the answer to your issue as well...I purchased a harness but have yet to install it, I'll update the thread with results once I install it...

Rajput 04-14-2011 06:08 PM

Cool. Let me know how the install goes and please give us an update on this for sure weather your problem gets fixed or not. It happens a lot on this forum, when people find the fix for their problem they never report back. I appreciate your time. :thumbsup:

sillieidiot 04-14-2011 06:27 PM

yea a harness will help, but usually the cluster reset is tied to the low beams with an inferior HID kit.