E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/index.php)
-   General E46 Forum (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2001 BMW 318i E46 Problems HELP! (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=836543)

mbozz93 04-12-2011 10:52 PM

2001 BMW 318i E46 Problems HELP!
 
Hey Everyone

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a BMW 318i which I am now having major problems with

One day I fueled up the car to full went for about a 20min drive and stopped over to buy something. I went to start my car and the whole car began to shake vigorously. I opened the hood to see the engine rocking from side to side :/ I quickly brought it to a nearby mechanic and he realized it was misfiring, he also mentioned something about the vacuum hissing :s
The car was then towed to my mechanic, who inspected it.
He looked at it for several hours and said he cannot fix it :facepalm:

Does anyone know what could be wrong or have had a similar experience?
I have a feeling this problem is going to cost me a heaps or I'm am going to have to replace the engine :censor:

xi325xi02 04-12-2011 11:09 PM

Shaking from side to side? Have you check engine mounts?

mbozz93 04-12-2011 11:12 PM

I think it was more because the engine was struggling so much it shook from side to side

jcjdavis1 04-13-2011 04:08 AM

Hi. When was the car last serviced what engine is in the car M43 or N42.
Worth looking on UK sites as the 318i engine is more common.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/ . Jim

Drizzles 04-13-2011 04:31 AM

Most likely an M43 ... had a similar problem when my CCV went ...if you've got a vacuum leak then start there, vacuum lines etc have a BIG part to play in our cars.

mbozz93 04-13-2011 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzles (Post 13041002)
Most likely an M43 ... had a similar problem when my CCV went ...if you've got a vacuum leak then start there, vacuum lines etc have a BIG part to play in our cars.

I think you are right about my engine model, I'm pretty sure it is a M43
I'm sending my car to another mechanic who is more experienced with BMW's :s
Was the CCV expensive to replace?

BTW, Sweet additions to your bimmer!

mbozz93 04-13-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcjdavis1 (Post 13040989)
Hi. When was the car last serviced what engine is in the car M43 or N42.
Worth looking on UK sites as the 318i engine is more common.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/
http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/ . Jim

Hey, Well it's last service was it's mechanical inspection before I bought it and only a thermostat had to be replaced at that time. I'll have a look on the uk sites for similar threads
Thanks

zbi701 04-13-2011 06:13 AM

Get it scanned. See what code it reveal. Go from there.

Drizzles 04-13-2011 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbozz93 (Post 13041024)
I think you are right about my engine model, I'm pretty sure it is a M43
I'm sending my car to another mechanic who is more experienced with BMW's :s
Was the CCV expensive to replace?

BTW, Sweet additions to your bimmer!

You know what, I just realized ... you live in Townsville ... 100kms south of me ...

I'm meeting a mate from Townsville thats a member here tomorrow afternoon, he runs a 323 but ... I work every day but next week Wednesday is my RDO and I'm coming down to Tville to get my Rack Rebuilt and a full alignment done, then I'm going over to Hi Flo Exhausts to see how much it's gonna cost me to get some custom headers made to suit my exhaust ... I could bring my code reader and we can meet up and pull some codes if you want ...

And ty :D

Just took a look at your photos, she looks nice, definitely an M43 cuz it's a pre-facelift, same as mine.

You look like your a rich ***** :P On the new development on the hill at Mission Beach right?? Nice place :D

But yeah, mine did the same thing about 5 weeks after getting it, turned out to be my CCV Valve ...

Drizzles 04-13-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzles (Post 13041080)
You know what, I just realized ... you live in Townsville ... 100kms south of me ...

I'm meeting a mate from Townsville thats a member here tomorrow afternoon, he runs a 323 but ... I work every day but next week Wednesday is my RDO and I'm coming down to Tville to get my Rack Rebuilt and a full alignment done, then I'm going over to Hi Flo Exhausts to see how much it's gonna cost me to get some custom headers made to suit my exhaust ... I could bring my code reader and we can meet up and pull some codes if you want ...

And ty :D

Oh wait, before you get ANYONE to do any work to it ... did you buy it from a dealer or yard of any kind or was it a private sale???

mbozz93 04-14-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzles (Post 13041081)
Oh wait, before you get ANYONE to do any work to it ... did you buy it from a dealer or yard of any kind or was it a private sale???

Hey
WOW, thanks for your offer, but I've already got a mechanic looking at it atm
Do you service your car yourself
I am a newb when it comes to mechanic's :P

Haha, I wish i was a rich #$&!
Im am only young and in uni, so i am pretty poor :P

Do you know how much the CCV cost ya?
Oh and I got my car from a private seller.

Drizzles 04-14-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbozz93 (Post 13045050)
Hey
WOW, thanks for your offer, but I've already got a mechanic looking at it atm
Do you service your car yourself
I am a newb when it comes to mechanic's :P

Haha, I wish i was a rich #$&!
Im am only young and in uni, so i am pretty poor :P

Do you know how much the CCV cost ya?
Oh and I got my car from a private seller.

Damn ... with a Dealer you get a Mandatory Statutory warranty ... not with private but ...

I have recently started servicing my car by myself, I'm doing one this weekend.

Most faults and repairs however I do myself. Mechanics isn't so hard, if you follow a DIY, it's just like tying your shoes. (You can tie your shoes right??? :P)

I actually don't know how much the CCV cost me cuz I bought mine from Pickerings and it played up so I got it repaired under the Statutory Warranty. If you don't want to wait long, David from Parts at BMW in Townsville could get you one within a day or two, otherwise you can get it HEAPS cheaper (usually half the price if not less), still Genuine BMW from Mike @ http://www.thebmwpartstore.com/ you can actually find him on here, hes an EXCELLENT bloke with top service and a can do, always willing to help attitude. Price is the best I've seen too ... his E-mail is thebmwpartstore@gmail.com ATT it to Mike.

Just let me know if you need a hand with it, as I said I'll be in Townsville on the 20th, then again on the 4th of next month ... getting my Rack rebuilt and a full Alignment done on the 20th and Injectors cleaned on the 4th of next month ...

jcjdavis1 04-14-2011 02:29 AM

Hi. Changing the CCV and CCV hose is a simple job and not too expensive, look in link under engine/crankcase-ventilation No.1&3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...2&mospid=47631
While you are at it have a read of this- http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...pipe+connector .Jim

SMAX 04-14-2011 04:58 AM

318i fellowship
 
Drizzles is a perfect example of the utility of this forum ....that was some solid advice given ...and indicative of the willingness of all forum members to help fellow enthusiasts

Drizzles 04-14-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMAX (Post 13045385)
Drizzles is a perfect example of the utility of this forum ....that was some solid advice given ...and indicative of the willingness of all forum members to help fellow enthusiasts

Eh, I'm always willing to help :D

GoingNuts 04-14-2011 06:02 AM

The first rule for students is don't throw random parts at the car. Second rule for students is act on knowlege and not on fantasy.

Drizzles 04-14-2011 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingNuts (Post 13045429)
The first rule for students is don't throw random parts at the car. Second rule for students is act on knowlege and not on fantasy.

Except when it comes to Preventative maintenance, hey GN ;)

And, well, as a general rule, I TRY not to throw random parts at my car as it scratches the paint :D

NathanJ 04-17-2011 08:46 AM

I'm the bloke from Townsville with the 323i! Lol. I bet I've seen you at Uni!

In seriousness, if you can avoid it, ie. Don't need a part ASAP, don't buy parts from BMW Townsville. When I first got my bim they charged me close to a grand for 5 ignition coils ( 1 had just been replaced) and wanted $130 for a $50 ish valve cover gasket. But they can get parts usually the next day so it's kind of a trade off.

I don't know much about the M43, but give me a yell if you need a hand I can probably help out:thumbsup:

mbozz93 04-17-2011 11:56 PM

Hey
Thanks Everyone :)

I still don't have my car back :facepalm:
The mechanic only started looking at it today
Apparently there is a vacuum leak which they are trying to fix.
I'll let yous know how it goes

Nice to see some ppl from Townsville on here :)

Drizzles 04-18-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbozz93 (Post 13058368)
Hey
Thanks Everyone :)

I still don't have my car back :facepalm:
The mechanic only started looking at it today
Apparently there is a vacuum leak which they are trying to fix.
I'll let yous know how it goes

Nice to see some ppl from Townsville on here :)

GL with the repair then, hope he knows what hes doing lol ... who'd you take it to?

As I said before, I'll be down on Wednesday if you need a hand, PM me if you want my mobile.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use